THE CABLE GUY SAYS, 'SORRY BUDDY, YOU CAN'T HAVE HDTV TODAY." Loewe HDTV question?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Darren Gross, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I'm having a problem with my Loewe Aconda 30" and I thought this informed august body might have the answer...

The cable guy was out today to hook up HDTV but the cable box they have only has component outputs...Since the TV does its own deinterlacing, it can not accept a progressive signal through the component cables, only through the VGA input.

I went to Good Guys where I bought the set and asked if there was a special cable or converter I needed but they seemed to disagree. One recommended a VGA/Component cable that cost $200 which seems a bit high to me, but the other guy said someone else got it and it didn't work. I opted not to take the risk since they won't refund you once you open the Monster cable package.

Has anyone been through this before?
    What connector do I need to get it running in HD? And most importantly, where?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Darren

[​IMG]

2. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't the cable box output in 1080i? I ask this since the the majority of the HD sources output in that resolution. Also can the cable box be set to output in a specific resolution? If so you wouldn't even need to buy a VGA to component cable. Finally, if you know the model of the cable box it would be useful.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

You'd need more than a cable to go from component to VGA, you need a transcoder like this .

4. Darren Gross

Hi Guys- thanks for the input.

Richard, the box did output 1080i but also had other output settings. The cable guy tried all of them and the only thing we could get was a letterboxed 4x3 image with a distortion line at the top of the picture. This was stretched when put in 16x9 mode so it definitely wasn't the way to go.

Jack- thanks for the link- have you used one of these?

Or anyone else have experience with one of these and can say that it'll definitely work? Just want to make sure since its quite a chunk of change...

D

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Darren, I believe the problem is not in the component video input but in the the design of the HDTV. This may sound odd but are you sure that the HDTV's component video input is for HD signals? I've heard of a few HDTV's that would only receive HD signals through the VGA connection. If this is the case then you would need a component to VGA transcoder.

7. Darren Gross

Richard,

According to the onscreen setup, the component inputs are designed for DVD, LD etc. When you try to set up HDTV it instructs you to connect to VGA, so it looks like I'll have to go with the transcoder box...

Went to another Good Guys today where they had the exact set I bought hooked up for HDTV, so I took a look in the back and voila, hooked up to VGA input, but according to the guy on the floor, their HDTV box had a VGA output, since their was no transcoder box hooked up.

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Darren,

I have the same TV as you. I use the transcoder describe above. It will pass a HD signal. It's a pain that one has to take so many steps to get pass the internal converter of the Loewe. But, the Loewe looks so good. It's just the price you have to pay to see such a great picture. [​IMG]

Good luck.

10. Darren Gross

Hi Darrel.

Thanks for the report! Do I need to purchase a VGA cable as well as the transcoder box or will the box do fine, just plugged into the back of the set?

The online e-tailer says I need to purchase a VGA cable as well.[​IMG]

11. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Yes, you'll need a VGA cable. I ordered one from BetterCables. But, I think any nine pin (I think it's nine pin) VGA cable will feed the signal.

Good luck.

12. Darren Gross

One last question- Are there different types of VGA cable specifically intended for this kind of use? or will any 15 pin male/female VGA cable work?

Thanks!
    D