The Bunker (2001)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Edward Schatz, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz Second Unit

I bought this movie today on a complete blind purchase. I know nothing of the film beyond what I read on the back. It sounded pretty cool on the description! I love dopey horror movies and this looks like it's right up my alley.

Anyone know anything about it?

2. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I rented this as an R2 disc when I got an all-region player in my modded xbox. It's pretty good, but not great. The climax is pretty lousy. Looking forward to the release of the similarly themed "Deathwatch" -- a WW! horror film with Andy Serkis -- in the next couple of months.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I liked it a lot (although admittedly I'm a sucker for cheesy horror and sci-fi). It's basically a haunted house story set in a German bunker at the very end of WWII. The bunker, in the middle of a remote forest, is built on a huge network of underground tunnels that was never fully completed, and don't appear to be totally unoccupied. A group of German soldiers running from Allied forces seek shelter in the bunker and the fun begins.

It has a great creepy atmosphere with genuine scares: a great one to watch in the dark. Its low budget does show, though. The ending is a little out of place, but I won't ruin it for anyone.

By the way, the R1 DVD's cover is seriously misleading. If anyone buys this expecting some sort of zombie movie they'll be disappointed. It's also a shame it's P&S unlike the R2/4.

Adam

4. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

Excellent creepy film! I'd not call it a simple horror. More like an intelligent thriller with some shocking moments.

The UK disc is anamorphic and has some good extras. It's on special for US$12/£6.99 at www.dvd.co.uk

The artwork on the USA disc is terrible and has nothing to do with the film.

[​IMG]

Interesting that the German DVD has DTS! In German only, though (with a DD5.1 English mix).

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    the one you can rent from blockbuster is widescreen.
    i forgot to look if it is enhanced.

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I dug the movie! It was a solid little psychological surpriserer, and one that will make a good double feature alongside Deathwatch, which hits DVD on 6/22, courtesy of Lions Gate.