the budget of all budget speakers, opinions on KLH

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Myo K, May 1, 2003.

1. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

im wondeirng what are your opinions on KLH speakers?

the other day, i was at frys and noticed that they had new klh speakers on display, what surprised me was that the speakers looked expensive, but were cheap.

they had this big KLH loudspeaker for like 99 dollars a pair

and a very nice looking floorstanding speaker for like 130 or so a pair.

along with a new bookshlef design i have never seen.

the floorstanding speakers look expensive but only cost 130-140 a pair, im sure they cant sound as bad as the sonys, but i was wondeirng if anyone has auditioned these budget speakers?

for the price i would consider getting two pairs and a center fpr a super budget floor standing 5.1 system.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Oh, believe me, they can sound as bad as Sony. KLH speakers are good for the money, but you can probably do better by mail ordering someting, perhaps Fluance http://www.fluance.com/ which is highly regarded here. I use KLH rears in my bedroom and I really like them.

3. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Myo,if your in the Los Angeles area and want to hear the fluance sx htb system,PM me .The sx is the more expensive of fluance's systems(lol),about 325 delivered.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Some KLH's I have listened to sound as good as other brands costing twice as much. Especially those big "Rave" series speakers at Best Buy--kind of bright but I like'em. And that 10" sub was pretty decent too. But other KLH stuff is questionable IMO.

LJ

5. drexel

drexel Agent

I have a full budget KLH speaker system consisting of a $100 pair of KLH 9112B floorspeakers, along with the KLH center channel and surrounds which I raked in for a total of about $180. Now I don't consider myself an "audiophile" per se, but in my opinion, the KLH system sounds fine! I really don't see a comparison between the fluances and KLH speakers since the prices don't really place them in the same category... My KLH system is plenty loud enough for my bedroom, which the floor speakers largely contributed to. I originally had the KLH R-5100 receiver as well, but that was pretty crappy... so I got a Kenwood VR-6050 and a Sony SA-WM40 to finish off my system and it sounds perfectly good to me. You'd be surprised.

6. JedW

JedW Agent

I have the KLH 10" ($100) powered sub and it's sounds great to me. It shakes the floor and the rest of the room when the T-Rex makes his appearance on Jurassic Park.

7. Marcus Ryle

Marcus Ryle Auditioning

I've listened to a couple of KLH models and it seems their sound quality varies drastically between each. Last year I bought an Onkyo SR-500 ..(and because I hadn't found this website yet) I picked up KLH's ss02HTIB from BestBuy for $100 brand new unopened!! I'm a music nut and a musician who's recorded in some top notch studios over the years ... so I've got an ear (but NOT an audiophile ear!!). I've got to say, costing $100 bucks, they sound on par compared to other typical chain store brands under $350 that are small plastic box speakers. The high end is not bad at all and it's not box-y sounding (although the speakers are light compared to others - saves money on shipping). The sub is sealed 8" ... sounds good and it keeps up... but bottoms out a little too easy. It seems in that price range (

8. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

JedW, which KLH 10" sub do you have? Does it sound ok for music? I found a refurbed 120watt KHL 10" sub for $100cnd. Thanks

9. Frank_Ber

Frank_Ber Agent

How are these KLH speakers when compared to the Onkyo SKS-HT500 speakers?

10. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

i strongly disagree with the klh subs, they sound the same no matter what frequency and rather then rumble, they burp.

if i can attest to anything imo, its that klh subs are horrid.

11. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Statements retracted. My mistake! [​IMG]

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Sometimes the filter cap is so small on low-powered speakers it can be nestled inside the tweeter's housing, hidden from view. The tweeter HAS to have some kind of "bass blocking" device to prevent destruction.

And first-order crossovers aren't bad if executed correctly w/the right driver. Thiel uses them for example.

But if it's a piezo-electric tweeter, they don't need a crossover at all: the properties of the piezocrystal itself do all the "blocking".

LJ

13. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Lance, I guess that explains it. The satellites used piezo-electric tweeters.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I've got five KLH 911B speakers and the 100W KLH subwoofer for my surround sound system, driven by an Onkyo 595. I bought the speakers for less than $200 two years ago during a BestBuy sale. I was a frugal graduate student then and I believe I got a great deal. If you're on a very tight budget the KLH speakers are a good choice.

However, having since heard some better speakers, I can tell that my KLH system has significant weak spots. There is a mid-range frequency gap between the sub and the bookshelf speakers. The overall sound also seems flat at times.

Now that I have a job, I hope to buy better quality speakers in the next year. But then I could use my KLH's for secondary speakers in separate rooms, or as great computer speakers (powered by a cheap receiver).

I am completely happy with my KLH speaker purchase. They were my best option for setting up a 5.1 surround sound system on my tight budget. [​IMG]

15. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I see KLH went with the the Sonus Faber/ACI look. Except they use beechwood side panels. Much beter than the black box look all thier speakers had.

16. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

KLH speakers suck. BUT they are extremely cheap. So, for ridiculously small amounts of $$, you can get a setup that will be about as crappy as a bose system, except for like 150 bucks rather than 3 grand. My friend had a KLH sub go out, so he just bought a new one for a hundred bucks. It is actually pretty decent. It can crank, and while it's no clean bass machine, it can go pretty deep, and sound decent. The best thing about KLH is that they are DIRT cheap. For the price, they aren't a bad deal, especially sitting next to some of the other just-as-crappy but overpriced junk at BB.