The Brotherhood of Poland, NH

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Martin Rendall, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Has anybody else been following this new CBS show?

I missed the first episode, but have been watching since. I first found it to be quirky and entertaining - just good enough to keep me watching to see where it goes.

However, I must say that last weeks episode, and especially this weeks episode, were really good. There were a few very interesting themes - public good over individual liberty, compromising one's own personal integrity for a greater good, and the slippery slop toward despotism, to name a few.

I know that being created and produced by D.E. Kelley probably means that some people won't like it.

So far, I have to give this show two [​IMG].

Now that I've posted about how great the show is, just like Miracles, I expect it to be cancelled very soon. Let's face it, it's not a cop show, a hospital show, nor a reality show. Doomed!

EDIT: just checked the ratings for yesterday: 5.8/9. I'll miss it.

Martin.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ve been watching the show and enjoying it, for the most part. I think that it will likely fail, as there is no way this show is going to attract large audiences. After all, no one meets the standard of good looks (the best are average). Plus if the writing slips, it will just turn in a nighttime soap.

3. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

I enjoy it immensely. Not sure it will last though as Karen Sisco is a strong show,(IMO). Luckily I can HD record Brotherhood and watch Sisco live. Waylon really rose to the occasion last night.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I just read it was put on hiatus during Sweeps month in November, but it's likely it might not return.

5. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I was appalled by the indiscriminate violations of civil rights depicted on Wednesday's show. It may be argued that the show offered that vision of society as a commentary on the current state of affairs in the U.S. but unless the consequences for the violations perpetrated by the brothers in that episode are dealt with in subsequent shows, I will be extremely disappointed in the series.

Off the top of my head the following acts occurred during the investigation of a missing teenage girl.

Coercion to obtain DNA samples without a warrant.
    Coercion to perform searches without a warrant.
    Coercion to solicit funds to sponsor the police investigation.
    Attempting to deny legal counsel to a minor.
    Not permitting a legal guardian to be present during questioning of a minor.
    Beating information out of a suspect.

I'm not one of the HTF's judicial hobbyists [​IMG] so I won't attempt to interpret those actions within the scope of the law. My main problem with the episode was that it ultimately supported those actions and seemed to take an 'ends justify the means' approach to the case. The resolution of the case seemed very improbable to me as well, but that is a minor point when compared to the liberties taken by the brothers. Basically, I don't feel like Wednesday's episode was critical enough of the actions taken. Self doubt is all well and good, but isn't sufficient given the gravity of the abuses depicted.

- Walter.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

7. Martin Rendall

It was appalling. The brothers chose to act the way they did, because they felt that it was necessary. Or perhaps they were caught up on the moment. Or perhaps they were worried about the election. The point is that the hour was up before the consequences could be examined.I agree with Walter. How the show deals with the aftermath will make or break it. The final scene with the two brother suggests that there may be some remorse issues coming. Unless it's cancelled.

Martin.

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I read today this was one of the first shows to be cancelled for this season.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

As soon as John Ashcroft's name was mentioned, I figured this story was a parable of how the Patriot Act can over-run civil liberties in the name of security. And basically, it's a story of "does the end justify the means." If we get anymore episodes in November (which is doubtful), then we might see some repurcussions about the brothers's actions in this case, but I fear that's unlikely.

10. Martin Rendall