The Brak Show

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan Ri, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Any news on the Brak Show coming to DVD? I see that the other adult swim shows have made their way to the format, and I was wondering when we would be seeing Brak there as well, anyone heard anything?

Bryan

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Nothing has been said about the Brak show, but I would love to see it on the Format, they could release a 4 disc set with all 30 episodes, or 2 volumes of 15 or something to that effect. I'd really like this if the story of it being canceled is true, which is what they said during the adult swim marithon on New Year's Eve, well its not really canceled I guess but the word was no new episodes were being planned.

So, I'd love the Brak show, Brak's dad cracks me up, I just love his accent that George Loe uses. Oh, and long live Thunderclese!

3. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Yyyyyyyyea buddy!

I saw the same, tear[​IMG]

I'm hoping that it was just a silly thing they came up with but who knows. A Brak DVD set would be a fine addition to my collection.

Bryan

4. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I think it really is cancelled. If not, it's a pretty elaborate inside joke because I watch Adult Swim, and they keep bringing it up during the "text" portions in between shows. The later episodes really got crazy and less and less funny. Still a worthy show that should and likely will someday be on DVD. I just don't know if it's a Warner priority over the AS series that haven't gotten the axe.

5. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

The guy who plays Brak...Andy...Andy Merill (That's it!) has confirmed it is definitely cancelled. The new episodes got poor results from test audiences. This probably has to do with them being absolutely terrible. lol. As Dane said they got really crazy and less funny. Almost seems like they were trying to cancel it. Who could have liked those episodes?!

As for the Brak Show on DVD...I'd be hesitant about it. Adult Swim has more successful shows to release. Sealab and ATHF2 come out in June. And in November I'd bet on Space Ghost Volume 2 and either Sealab Volume 2 or Harvey Birdman volume 1 (if the new episodes are airing).

To my knowledge, their most successful show is currently Aqua Teen Hunger Force, so they'll probably try to get a Volume 3 with the rest of the new episodes out for the Holidays as well. Adult Swim has a lot of good stuff to put out, and the Brak show was pretty unsuccessful. Personally, I love the older ones with the American mother (it was the perfect parody of the American family!), so I'm pretty upset about it probably being a while before we see this on DVD.

If Adult Swim put out more than 2 shows at a time with more than 13-16 episodes, I think us Brak fans could have hope, but they don't. [​IMG]

6. Casey Trowbridg

I love the 1 where Brak puts on a play..."Only Thunderclese is allowed to improvise!"

I love that character, and yes things really went down hill in the later episodes, especially when Space Ghost started appearing at random.

Like I mentioned in the other adult swim thread.

ATHF Vol. 1 = 16 episodes
    ATHF Vol. 2 = 13 episodes
    current number of episodes produced = 42
    after volume 2, number of eps not on DVD = 13, just enough for a volume 3.

Hopefully they're still making new episodes though. Reason I say that is because episode 42 was called "The Last one"
    I'll buy all adult swim programming that they put on DVD.

7. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I would be stoked for a Harveybirdman DVD, especially since there were only about a half a dozen or so episodes.

I would guess that Brak gets his DVD eventually, maybe not until 05 though [​IMG]

Bryan

8. Casey Trowbridg

I believe that more episodes of Birdman are in production, but there were only like 9 that have aired so far.

9. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I'd kinda like to have CARTOON PLANET before THE BRAK SHOW. I suspect that is a different critter than SPACE GHOST COAST TO COAST, since it's all sketches and music and no celebrity content.
    Maybe I seem crazed as all it entails is the same 7 or 8 backdrops with constantly new dialogue (Brak himself moans over how he only has 4 body positions), but darn it, I want it all -- "Mail Bag Day," "Zorak Horrorscopes," and especially "Brak's Tales of Suspense."

I can see it now...I'll go down to the video store -- DUH NUH NUH NUH! -- and there'll be the first package of CARTOON PLANET -- DEE DUN DEE DEE DEE!...

10. Casey Trowbridg

While I love Cartoon Planet, and would definitely buy a DVD set of that show, I believe that Andy Marill (voice of Brak among other titles) said in an interview with IGN Film Force that a cartoon planet was likely not going to happen because of rites issues, but it has been a couple of months since I read that interview and don't really want to hunt for it tonight, but if anyone is so inclined they can report back.

I love the 2 CDs I have of Cartoon Planet music.

11. Jon B NY

Harvey Birdman is in production for new episodes (yes!) and was just re-entered into the Adult Swim Sunday night lineup tonight! Guess what it replaced? Poor ol' Brak.

As for Casey's concern about Aqua Teen episodes and the title of the last episode...fear not. I read in a review with one of the creators that the name of this episode came from its original title which is "The Last (explative)-ing One of 2003". So fear not, it's just the last of the season, not the series. I heard new Aqua Teen's coud be showing up as early as late Spring.

12. Michael St. Clair

Yeah, ATHF is too popular, I can't imagine them cancelling it at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brak get a DVD, but I wouldn't expect it soon.

13. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Brak was my favorite of the Adult Swim toons! I am a lot less likely to watch now. I didn't get a chance to see the series until this past year and thought the surreal later episodes were pretty damned funny.
    Brak may have gotten little respect, but he got the best merchandizing- that Che Guevera inspired t-shirt on the Adult Swim site is hilarious.

14. Casey Trowbridg

Jon, that's good news, I mean I didn't really believe that the show was canceled, because of its popularity but that title was curious. I'm glad to have that confirmed for sure though.

There is also supposed to be a new cartoon that is a spin off of ATHF called Space cataz which they mentioned on the ATHF volume 1 commentary.

15. Jon B NY

Yep, Space Cataz is going to be the Mooninites and the Plutonians (the stupid ones w/ the German accents) getting their own show. Oh man, I can NOT wait for that! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Ding - thread revival!!

Heyyyyyyy B-u-u-u-u-ddy! The Brak Show is coming to DVD in Feb 2005.

Amazon.com

[​IMG]

17. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

I heard the news a while back on adultswim.com, but I hadn't seen the artwork, pretty well do ne, I can't wait for this release, such a funny show. Thunderclese is my hero.

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

19. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Well, there it is. :b

The thread had been dead for several months and this was the only one found in the search.

I found that dvd info by accident on another website. So, in the words of a former SNL Weekend Update announcer, "I'm Keith Paynter, and that's news to me." [​IMG]

Looking forward to it anyway!

20. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[​IMG] That's fine, Keith. I apologize for coming off like I was rebuking you. Just tooting my own horn, really. :wink: