What's new

The Brain with David Niven, Bourvil and Jean Paul Belmondo. (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The Brain with David Niven is rarely mentioned on this forum and I wonder why.
There are two versions of this film. One in English and one in French. The English version opened at Radio City and it was not dubbed. A French writer on Amazon say that Bourvil and Belmondo speak in English. He also says the English version is better.
Olive released the French version. I wonder why and if we'll ever see the English version on bluray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hmm, this thread shouldn't be in "Beginners, General Questions" area.:) I'll moved it!

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Is that where I put it? Sorry. Where would it go? Thank you.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I didn't realize it was in a different place!
The Brain film you speak of was on sale at Hamilton Books and so I picked up the blu-ray. I also picked up Taxi For Tobruk which I did QC and realized I saw that film dubbed into English on TV. I'm not sure why the English dub wasn't provided for either film, but Olive only releases what they get from the licensee - Paramount- except for their Signature Line.

In checking reviews - it appears that this and the French Gaumont are region free but the Gaumont has extra features and the Olive has compression issues, Neither of the films is available in in an English dub on blu-ray AFAIK.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The thing is that from what I can glean it's not an English dub. It was filmed in English and French. In other words there are two different films for the most part.

From The New York Times:
Many viewers, including this one. marched out of "the showplace of the nation" grinning.This English-language romp (English-spoken, not dubbed), filmed simultaneously abroad in the native tongue...

Also there is a review as I noted on Amazon where a French guy says there are two versions and the English version is better than the French and the French speak English better than the English speak French. It's hard to imagine Eli Wallach speaking in French.
The English version is the one I would like on bluray.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks