The Brady Bunch (Season 5) Any Previews/Reviews?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jack Platt, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Jack Platt

Jack Platt Stunt Coordinator

Guys,

I heard that based on the packaging seen that there are NO EXTRAS. (again.) This is a MAJOR disappointment by Paramount. Anyway, this release is scheduled for March 7th. Kudos to Paramount for the promptness in the releases, and with the exception of some mild cuts on the vacation episodes and the removal of the fill-in squares on one episode, we got at least 95% of the series uncut and done in a timely manner.

Industry insiders, post your previews/reviews of the disk here! Thanks!

Jack

2. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

DVDTalk review, which confirms the lack of extras (except "previews" on the 1st disc).

3. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

That's very disappointing...there's 8 of 9 cast members still alive and they didn't even bother to interview them for the final disk set. We had 2 cast commentaries in the first disk set; I was looking forward to many many more. Nope.

4. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

There does seem to be an episode in the set, "Kelly's Kids," that apparently doesn't air in sydnication because it is little more than a failed spin-off effort. So at least there's something a little bit new for some fans. Still, except for the first season this really was a lost opportunity for Brady fans.

5. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland

That episode airs here in the US in syndication. In fact it aired yesterday on TV Land. But like you said, at least it will be new for some fans.

Can't say I like the 5th Season very much, but I would have liked to see some extras. Oh well...

6. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

What mild cuts in the vacation episodes? What episode removies the squares?

7. Jack Platt

Mike,

All of the vacation episodes (Grand Canyon, Season 3 and Hawaii, Season 4) omit the fill in squares on the DVD between where the last commercial break would be and the credits. In addition, the episode from Hawaii, "Pass The Tabu" is missing about 20 seconds of dialogue between when the boys are talking about what to do with the Tabu back at the hotel AFTER Mike and Carol leave the room. Greg asks "Do you guys really believe in the tabu?" Bobby says, "Yea" Peter says something like "Yea, I do too." Greg says, "Me too." (This is cut on the DVD.) The next line, where the DVD picks up is Greg (I think it's Greg) saying, "What are we gonna do?"

We don't have an offical explanation for the cuts. Some of us believe that because the Brady Bunch vacation episodes were packaged into "a mini series movie" for syndication around the late 80's-early 90's, that Paramount used that print for the DVD's. Someone thought perhaps for continuity that the fill-in squares should be removed. They also used 16mm back-up prints to restore scenes cut when it was sold to syndication and later to TV Land, which uses different edits.

"Love And The Older Man" is also missing the fill in squares on the DVD between the last commercial break and the credits. This appears to just be sloppy oversight on Paramount's part, nothing else.

Jack

8. Jack Platt

Guys,

Tomorrow is the big day for Season 5 of The Brady Bunch! Post your reviews here! BTW, I am holding off on the purchase for about 3-4 weeks cuz I still have other DVD's I need to finish and I want to make sure that any bugs are out of the new releases.

Jack

9. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I guess I haven't paid attention to my release schedule recently. I had completely forgotten that season 5 was coming out tomorrow! I'll definitely be picking it up right away. Being a roller coaster/amusement park fan, the King's Island episode, "Cincinnati Kids" is one of my faves.

It's really a shame that there weren't more extras on any of these sets. With all the Brady specials that have appeared on TV over the years, you would think they could have either included parts of those or done a few more interviews. While the commentaries on the first season aren't mind-blowing, I'd have loved to have seen a few more of those in the other seasons. I'm glad to have the series on DVD, but it is a bit disappointing.

10. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I don't know if I will get Seasson 5. I think it's a pretty bad season as a whole. Not to mention the introduction of Cousin Oliver. We just get a 50% price reduction for that alone.

Fortunately, Kellys Kids was a stinking horrible pilot anyways, so I wouldn't really miss it. But, I can understand being upset if your a bigger fan than I am.

11. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I never did like the Kelly's Kids episode either. In fact, when I've watched the reruns over the years on TV, I've almost always just skipped watching that one.

12. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Well, I got the set and I have finished watching it. Over all, it looks better than the previous seasons. Especially in the scenes where they had to use the 16mm prints to restore the missing footage.

The 5th season has always been one of my favorites mainly because I remember watching it during the original run of the series. I only have vague memories of the first two seasons but the rest of the series I totally remember watching. Season five does contain several of my favorite episodes but in all honesty this wasn't the best year of the show. Cousin Oliver just added to an already declining show.

I glad to have finished one of my all time favorite shows on DVD.