What's new

The Brady Bunch Dvd Transfers (1 Viewer)

Dave*

Auditioning
Haing picked up Season 3 i noticed on a couple of the shows where parts are out-of-focus,am i the only one who perhaps has this?Perhaps a defected disc or something?

It's rather odd.I say this because it is in only certain parts of(at least for now)shows that i have watched.

For instance,there is the episode entitled "The Personality Kid".There is a scene inwhich Marcia and her friend(i think her name is Kathy)are in the family room and Peter comes home from somewhere and they ask him a question about a certain film.Now,part of the scene is fine and then part of it is not.There is a portion/camera shot(as in a couple of other episodes i noticed)that has the picture rather fuzzy.

Does anyone have the same problem as well?I am not sure,but i also believe there was similiar trouble on the 1st season box set as well.

If i am not the only one,then the transfers were done really poorly.I mean,this is a major blunder.

I'd really love to hear from all you "Brady Buffs" outthere concerning this and perhaps possible other problems that may plague these releases.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
They aren't the fault of a poor dvd transfer. The blurry sections you see are dupes from 16mm sources. Those scenes and bits of dialogue were cut from the original masters years ago when the show went into syndication. They were the best looking materials that could be found and reinserted back into their respective episodes.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, it is a bit of a drag, but for me just having the shows complete and uncut on DVD is the most important thing. I think Paramount is to be comended for even taking the time and effort to locate every bit of missing footage from Brady Bunch. I am totally pleased with the DVD sets.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The alternative would be to leave the footage out, which is not a good option. We will be seeing a lot of this type of treatment with TV sets if we want them complete, as these were cut decades ago, and who knows what happened to the original masters/prints for the cut segments.

Dave*

Auditioning
Without a doubt,couldn't agree more.As unpleasant as it is(if these are the best sources they have)then for sure put them in.I,like most BB fans want these shows complete and uncut.

It is too bad in this day and age of technology there isn't a way to sharpen the images so they don't look as bad as they do.Perhaps this WAS done(probably was).

Why is it on some episodes there does not seem to be a problem with the re-inserted scenes then it does on others?You'd figure the same methods used to re-cut episodes for syndication would be the same with each and every episodes for the entire season run.

Nick=Ma

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe some of the 16mm prints were in better condition than others. Like Brian & Jeff said I would rather have the episodes complete with minor problems than no problems and syndicated cuts.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
This seems to be a pattern with old Paramount TV shows. Anyone who owns the season 1 set of Happy Days will also notice the same problem. However, I agree with everyone else...it's better to own these shows complete and uncut (even with some scenes a bit fuzzy) rather than owning the cut (syndicated) 22 minute versions.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I just look at it this way...the dvds look much better than the original broadcasts. The restored footage looks as good as the original brodcasts. Most of us had static or snow that couldn't entirely be eliminated by rabbit ears on our small tvs in those days.

michaelLinn

Auditioning
Does anyone know why no extras were included in the Seasons 2 and 3 (and I assume also 4 and 5) DVD sets? Will Paramount perhaps release "special edition" sets sometime in the future with extras included?

Dave*

Auditioning
Woouldn't entirely surprise me if Paramount does indeed re-release BB in a COMPLETE BOX SET w/ all kinds of extras.Maybe even including the Brady Brides and Brady Bunch Variety Hour.

Btw,does anyone on here have the Brady Brides and the Variety Specials not to mention the 1990s The Bradys on vhs or dvd that they MAY consider making me dubs of?Even more obscure(and i highly doubt it)but does anyone have that Donny and Marie Variety Show that had Florence Henderson,Maureen McCormick,Mike Lookinland and Susan Olsen on it.I believe this was from '76 or 1977?

Man,would i love to get copies of any of these shows if any of you BB fans outthere have these and would be so kind as to make me copies i'd surely do what i could to make the trade just as good for you.

Dave

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have every episode of The Bradys. All but one of them has the end logo cut off...doh.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Once the original series is completed on DVD, something tells me Paramount isn't done with the Bradys. We may get The Brady Brides series, The Bradys, The Brady Bunch Kids and A Very Brady Christmas all on DVD. I'd buy all of them.

Sid and Marty Krofft own the rights to The Brady Bunch Hour (the variety series) and it doesn't look like we'll ever get all 8 episodes of that on DVD. The music licensing is probably a nightmare. There are two episodes on DVD from Rhino, but so far that is it.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Bradys- Paramount
A Very Brady Christmas- Paramount
The Brady Brides- Paramount
Brady Bunch Hour- Rhino

not sure about The Brady Kids, but I assume Paramount.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
FYI tvshowsondvd.com has the 4th season cover art up, and a link to the other art for the set.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yep, Paramount has the rights to all of the Brady incarnations except the variety series.

Dave*

Auditioning
It's interesting that Sid and Marty Kroft released only the 2 of the 8 shows that were made?Were there not many lisenced songs in the 2 that were released on Rhino Home Video?

Maybe they wanted to release the other shows but the copyright holders of the songs performed in the other 6 episodes were probably too embarassed to see their tunes in such shows.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The thing about the variety series is that most of the songs were pop tunes from the 70s and old show tunes. I just think that the response that Rhino had to the DVD was so low that they decided not to release the entire series.

Which doesn't make sense since they released all six episodes of Pink Lady and Jeff and that show was by far worse than the Brady variety series. I have the Pink Lady set and it is trully awful. Thank God, this was the last gasp for the 70s style variety shows. After that, the format was pretty much dead and burried.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks