The Boys From Brazil: what's the story on this?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by CraigF, Jul 16, 2005.

1. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Can anybody help me? I have never actually seen the DVD, have read this and that, and have gotten some ominous inferences re it, but nothing solid (it's like there's an inside story I don't know, but everybody else does). Thanks.

[For some reason I can't get what info DVDBeaver has on this for 2 days, so thought I'd ask directly.]

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Are you wondering about the movie itself or the DVD? There's nothing very ominous about the DVD. It's got a 1.85:1 non-anamorphic transfer and can be found online for about $6.

The DVD Beaver comparison shows that the UK disc from Carlton is also non-anamorphic, but has a sharper transfer.

DJ

3. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Well it does have a new ending, I have never seem this ending in any old vhs, LD, cable, TV and theatrical runs (I saw this on a double bill with TOM HORN). Could that be the fuss?

4. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    The current DVD is pretty bad from what I remember, although it has been a few years since I have seen the movie. The cloning aspect of the story was far fetched in 1978, in 2005 the idea seems less so doesn't it.

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick

I owned this DVD and there was no new ending. What have you seen in your copy that I didn't in mine? (It's only been released once on DVD, and it was the original theatrical edition). The transfer is awful - an ITC special released on DVD by Artisan. They only thing they got right was the aspect ratio (2.35:1).

6. walter o

when i saw it at the theatres, and on LD and vhs and TV and cable

SPOILER

the credits roll when Laurence Olivier burns the list of the kids

the DVD instead of cutting to the credits, it cuts to the hitler's clone kid who killed Peck, as we see he is going o grow up to a psycho. then the credit rolls

END OF SPOILER.

7. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

"Herr Lieberman!"

That flick is a hoot! [​IMG]

8. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Wow, walter o, I never noticed that before, regarding the two different endings. I've always had a soft spot for this movie, a guilty pleasure, I suppose, but hadn't caught the differences.

On reading this, I dug out the DVD and most recent LaserDisc only to find both identical in terms of the ending. Not satisfied, I dug further to find the older LD of this title, and sure enough, you're right. Just as the paper is burning in the ashtray, the film fades to black and the end credits roll.

For reference, here are the sources I used:

A - 1982 LaserDisc, 20th Century Fox Home Video, 9002-80, short ending

B - 1997 LaserDisc, Pioneer Special Edition, PSE96-079, long ending

C - 1999 DVD, Artisan Home Entertainment, 60748, long ending

So it appears that the ending might have been extended at the time that Pioneer did their late '90s LaserDisc. Verbiage on that issue is as follows:

I don't know if they're referring here to the added scene or the little supplemental feature they included. The old LaserDisc timing without the extra scene is listed as 123 minutes.

My comparison of the DVD and the Pioneer LaserDisc led me to believe they are from the same source material. When I did a split-screen and had the two of them synched up, even the end credits were creeping left-right at identical times.

So, the question now is, did Franklin Schaffner approve of the addition, or is the shorter-length version his "vision" of how the film should play?

Harry

9. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    According to IMDB:

I have never seen the "burning list ending" myself, this is the first I've heard of it.

I love this movie. Gregory Peck as a villian! [​IMG]
    James Mason is absolutely dripping with venom in his role as a Nazi. The only negative; I always thought that Steve Guttenberg was miscast in this.

10. walter o

Burning list version is what was on the old Magnetic video, then fox video, as well as numerous showing on cable and tv in the early to late 80's. It aired on Fox channel in the mid 90's with that ending as well. As well as the very old Fox LD, as Harry pointed out.

11. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I guess I stand (sit, rather) corrected![​IMG]

12. SteveJKo

SteveJKo Second Unit

I saw this film in it's theatrical run back in '78, and the film simply ended (back then) with the burning of the list.

13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Thanks for the replies. [Sorry for not responding sooner, but have had a computer problem for most of a week...I'm a techie but can't figure it out, computer won't work unless it's *upside down* (a Dell tower, newish, you can tell I was really stuck to try that!), so no looking at discs for now.]

Anyway, the "ominous" comments I was referring to were things that said this DVD would probably be as good as we'd ever get this film to look on home video. Since the film isn't *that* old, and everybody says it doesn't look that good, and I read similar ominous comments in a few independent places, I was wondering if there was some back story on this...it was never mentioned, maybe all the sites used the same original source and don't know either. Perhaps something might have been included on the LD/DVD as extras that explains it?

14. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Sell it to someone in Australia.

15. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    [​IMG]

[And I was wrong, now that I got it "working" again: it *does* play discs upside down, getting them in is tough though...]

16. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The great Henri Decaë was the cinematographer on this film. I love his work, so I would love to see a new anamorphic transfer.