The Boys (Amazon Prime)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show just gets better and better. Even the really appalling characters like Homelander and Stormfront are getting fleshed out; nobody is really evil just for the sake of being evil, the depravity comes out of their damage.

I'm really enjoying having Starlight more in the mix with the Boys. The dynamic between her and Butcher this week was really interesting; they don't much care for each other, but they both care quite a lot about Huey.

Even setting aside the calamity at the psychiatric facility, this episode had a number of examples of why it would be an absolute nightmare if superhumans were real. Just take Starlight, for example: she's a decent person who tries to do the right thing, often at great personal risk, and she's not even one of the most powerful supes. But it still took a circular saw with high-density carbide teeth to make a small incision in her skin. And she killed the driver of the car they commandeered with roughly the same effort most of us would exert to sneeze.

Stormfront being a Nazi before she was a supe helps explain her white supremacy fixation. She sees supes and Compound V as the means to implement the Third Reich's Final Solution and purify the world by slaughtering anybody who doesn't meet Hitler's Aryan ideal.

The aghast and horrified reaction of Maeve's girlfriend to the cellphone video from the plane will hopefully be a real wake-up call for Maeve. She's been compromising on so many areas of human decency for so long that I don't think she really even recognized just how unforgivable their actions on the plane were. It was just another in a long line of horrible things that Maeve didn't do anything to stop.

Mother's Milk getting strangled by the one inmate's Mr. Fantastic penis was definitely something I've never seen before, and could have easily gone my entire life without seeing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have mixed feelings on THE BOYS.

I really enjoyed the first season.

I am not enjoying the second season so much. It has its moments, but the show seems to have gone into hyper-drive on providing over-the-top shock/gore value rather than an appealing storyline.

I will say the end of this latest episode (which Adam talks about above), concentrating on the Nazi origins put things in a new light. It solidified Stormfront's character and motives which for the first time, gave this season some kind of purpose for me.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck Starlight is doing with someone like Huey, but as Adam also pointed out, I like the fact she is teamed with the Boys.

For this season and now, the show is something I watch without much excitement attached to it. Hoping it will get better in its final handful of episodes.

Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how far it will eventually stray from the comic it is based upon.
In my mind, there's times that it's a million miles away from the source material but I think it still captures the spirit of the comic book. Based on the way that they've established the characters, I expect the TV show to continue to move away from the way the comic went.

This show just gets better and better. Even the really appalling characters like Homelander and Stormfront are getting fleshed out; nobody is really evil just for the sake of being evil, the depravity comes out of their damage.
It'll sound odd but that's a minor critique that I have of the TV show. The comic book wasn't really concerned about fleshing out the bad guys and it's not because it was one dimensional, it was because the members of The Seven were pampered celebrities who were simply either bad people or psychopaths and fuck their excuses for why they're like that. By and large, there's no humanity seen because there's no humanity there.

Even the good guys like Frenchie and The Female are more fleshed out in the TV show. In the comic book, those two spend most of their time with each other and in their own world until they are needed by Butcher as weapons. And I don't really think one take can be seen as definitively superior to the other, they're just different based on the medium. In comics, you can have Frenchie's self-professed origin to be an absurd tale that is almost definitely a lie told by a crazy person (even his parents call him Frenchie in his story) but that kind of wackiness is tough to pull off when there's a human being playing a role so the TV show probably made the right approach by making the characters more human.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A strong season finale. If the show hadn't been renewed, it would have been a satisfying enough series finale. I'm glad it's coming back, though.

I hope there's a lot more Jim Beaver in the third season. Eric Kripke and Jim Beaver are one of the great writer-actor pairings. Kripke gives Beaver great material, and Beaver knocks it out of the park.

The most intriguing dangling thread is Claudia Doumit's character, Vic Neuman, especially in light of the big reveal at the end of this episode. What's her agenda? Is she really trying to take Vought down for reasons of her own, or is she a Vought asset playing the role of Vought nemesis?

Reactions: joshEH and TravisR

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have really been taking my time watching this season of The Boys. There has been SO much material on Netflix and Prime that I have wanted to see that I've only watched four episodes so far of the second season. I'll get to them all eventually.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
I have really been taking my time watching this season of The Boys. There has been SO much material on Netflix and Prime that I have wanted to see that I've only watched four episodes so far of the second season. I'll get to them all eventually.
I've been putting off watching S2, as I want to re-watch S1. Like you, I have too much to watch on Netflix and Prime, as well as Hulu and HBO Max. As it was, it was literally (and I mean that literally) just the past couple of nights that I finally got around to watching the final season of Jessica Jones on Netflix. I still need to watch the final seasons of the other Netflix Marvel shows.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I've been putting off watching S2, as I want to re-watch S1. Like you, I have too much to watch on Netflix and Prime, as well as Hulu and HBO Max. As it was, it was literally (and I mean that literally) just the past couple of nights that I finally got around to watching the final season of Jessica Jones on Netflix. I still need to watch the final seasons of the other Netflix Marvel shows.
I have not enjoyed Season 2. I still have the final episode to watch and I am really in no hurry at this point.

• Appreciate
Reactions: jayembee

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan