What's new

The Boys (Amazon Prime) (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Is anyone else watching this? Pretty rough stuff with occasional bursts of humor. Eric Kripke of Supernatural fame is producing, and his style and substance is all over this. I'm only three episodes into this eight episode season, but it's filled with surprises.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Superheroes run amok (but pretending to be noble, humble, kind) and a group of vigilantes determined to stop them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
One of my all time favorite comic books. I can only imagine that even on Amazon Prime, they can't be as extreme as the comics got.

I'll be checking this out when I get the time. Unfortunately, at the rate I'm going, the show will be over by then. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve added it to my wishlist, but there’s a lot of shows to get to first. Curious to hear if it’s worthwhile.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, right now I'm overwhelmed. Between Orange is the New Black coming back and finishing up Handmaid's Tale, starting Veronica Mars S4.. too much on right now.

But, I watched the first three episodes today, and I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. Will definitely keep circling back.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
#StreamingFOMO

I still have the past three years of Netflix Marvel to watch (Defenders, JJ S2, DD S3, LC S3), The OA S2, Umbrella Academy, Russian Doll, Westworld S2, Legion S3, Handmaid's Tale S1 - S3 (?). And this winter brings WW S3, Man in the High Castle S4. GLOW S3, hopefully. And there's the normal broadcast stuff (The 100, natch). And I'm watching The Patriot while traveling, and maybe starting The Magicians after I watch Umbrella Academy.

I'd love to rewatch Veronica Mars S1-S3 and the movie before starting the new S3. But...(sigh)

Too much amazing "TV" :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, there is amazing TV to be watched in so many locales that it's overwhelming. But when I latch on to something, I'll finish it before starting something else, and I'm on The Boys now. It's certainly having no trouble holding my attention at all through four episodes. Halfway home.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This just premiered in the last week or two, didn’t it?

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Shockingly good show. Given it's the same team behind AMC's neutered botch-job that is PREACHER, I'm pleasantly surprised. THE BOYS is a lot of fun, aided by some incredibly well written characters, acting, and AMAZON's ability to include some of the more "rough" themes from the graphic novels. Very excited for a second season!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This show is great.
I flipped through a handful of the comics this is based on.
I’m no fan of the artist who painted that but Garth Ennius writes some amazing books.

This show was is what happens if the Justice League from DC decided that their power was to be used for their own gain for fame and money and how far over the line they would go.

The Boys are the guys who are on a mission to take them down.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Btw if you like the Boys comic you might like a few more.
Watchmen

Brat Pack and Maximortal both by Rick Veitch.

My favorite of these type of comics.
Miracleman

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've been home sick, so I watched the whole season over the last couple days. Some truly appalling stuff happens in this first season, but there is a shockingly earnest love story at the center of it.

Karl Urban is great at these big oversized roles, but the standout for me was Erin Moriarty as Starlight, the increasingly disillusioned new recruit to this world's corporate-backed version of the Justice League. She did a great job playing naive without playing stupid.

The season finale torches the first season dynamic completely (and sometimes literally), so I'm interested to see where they go with a season two.

Shockingly good show. Given it's the same team behind AMC's neutered botch-job that is PREACHER, I'm pleasantly surprised.
Some of the same executive producers and same source writer, but different showrunners. "Preacher" is run by Sam Catlin ("Breaking Bad") while "The Boys" is run by Eric Kripke ("Supernatural").

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Has a second season been announced yet?
Already in production:
TheBoys_S02_001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks