The Boxer- Collector's Edition or DTS Edition

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph J.D, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'm thinking about purchasing this film starring Daniel Day-Lewis. Just wondering which version is the one to own - The one with the extras or the one with the DTS track only?

2. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

I went with the non-DTS version because it had a pretty good commentary, deleted scenes, and a decent documentary.

The DTS version is full bitrate, but lacks all the extras.

I've never heard the DTS version, but the DD version is mostly dialouge, so I'm not sure if it could of seen much improvement.

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

DTS, IMHO, does improve dialog intelligibility on well recorded material. Doubly so for their full bitrate version. Dolby Digital sometimes sounds too "compressed" to me in the vocal department and the dialog normalization offsets don't help either.

Get the DTS disc.

Dan

4. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Thanks for the replies so far. It seems we have a tie between the two versions. Anyone else want to share their thoughts on which version of 'The Boxer' is the better choice?

5. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

I'm a big fan of this film and I have to vote for the CE. The extras are just too good to pass up for slightly better sound. There's a pile of deleted scenes, an alternate ending, a great commentary and a terrific documentary that's nearly an hour long! Personally I don't think these are worth missing.

- Guy