What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JeffT., on 18 Apr 2013 - 11:01, said:
JeffT. said:
The idea of a mad scientist needing a human head (or brain) for his "mechanical man" originated in THE THREE STOOGES short "Dopey Dicks" (02/03/1950) written by Elwood Ullman and directed by Edward Bernds.
Joe Karlosi said:
Good point. The scene where the robot in BOWERY BOYS MEET walks into some machinery and loses his head was right out of the Stooges' DOPEY DICKS.

Ditto for the gag where Leo Gorcey is hiding under a table and sticks his head up through the table and Huntz Hall thinks he's been decapitated ("they cut off his head and he's STILL talking!!") --- same scene was featured in DOPEY DICKS with Larry's head peeping up through a table, and Shemp freaking out!
I think it's safe to say that the idea of a human head or brain being sacrificed for a monster/robot in a comedy was nothing new to movie audiences by 1950, let alone 1954! This concept was used in the 1948 Comedy Horror Classic, ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN. The point I'm trying to make is, so long as it's funny and it works within the framework of the film, where the idea was first used or originated from, while it may be of interest in a historical context, is otherwise, in my opinion largely irrelevant!

CHEERS!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
The title THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954) is obviously inspired-derived from the (then) successful ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET film series to be sure.Some of the recycled (The) Three Stooges routines involving "mad scientists" and "brain transplants" actually pre-date ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) but technically speaking you are correct the (awesome) shadow of the former looms over the latter. And in all fairness to The Bowery Boys they already had previous encounters-clashes with mad scientists before Abbott and Costello ever did (ie. SPOOK BUSTERS).Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Holy Toledo! Where is all the sustained enthusiastic conversation on the recently released THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME TWO 4-disc set?!

Anyhow I received mine earlier this week and that likely means I will be viewing disc one this Saturday evening. With SPOOK BUSTERS (1946), HARD BOILED MAHONEY (1947) and BOWERY BUCKEROOS (1947) on the programme one can't go wrong.

Were we not previously informed that CLIPPED WINGS (1953) was the first (The) Bowery Boys widescreen release in the series? It now seems that it was actually PARIS PLAYBOYS (1954).

Jeff T.

:D

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I got mine todayfrom M.U. - pressed silver discs . A quick check on the quality which looks as good or even better than Vol. 1. I'll start watching this on Saturday too. (Does anyone remember when Channel 5 - WMCA Television in New York always showed Bowery Boys film, late Saturday afternoons)?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In scanning the Amazon reviews for the BB volume 1 set, I found an Amazon Verified Purchase Reviewer who stated that the discs appeared to be commercially pressed DVDs. As Amazon is offering volume 2 at a price point which will total up to within a dollar of Movies Unlimited (Even with the 6-10 day shipping option!), I think this time I'll order from Amazon instead, as I can track the shipping through them, but not M.U, as they can't track international orders.

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding the exclusion of Bowery Boys Movie Trailers, I've discovered that there is a multitude of BB Trailers on youtube. While it would be preferable to have them on DVD, it is nice to know these are accessible for anyone who has an internet connection (Assuming the PC or whatever device isn't old enough to vote, LOL!).

As for me, I've gone the Amazon route this time around. Their current price is $35.99 (Vs. $44.99 at Movies Unlimited!), but it is Amazon's tracking option (And discovering their BB sets are also pressed discs!), that tipped the scales, as their added import deposit fee (some of which I might get back, anyway!) for international orders (And my selecting the 6-10, rather than 8-16 day shipping option!) actually makes the Amazon option marginally more expensive than M.U. (Who doesn't track international orders!) for this Canuck!

Here is the Amazon link for those who haven't yet ordered THE BOWERY BOYS, VOLUME 2:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Bowery-Boys-Volume-Two/dp/B00CA4S024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366951848&sr=8-1&keywords=bowery+boys+volume+2

CHEERS!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Tony Bensley said:
Regarding the exclusion of Bowery Boys Movie Trailers, I've discovered that there is a multitude of BB Trailers on youtube. While it would be preferable to have them on DVD, it is nice to know these are accessible for anyone who has an internet connection (Assuming the PC or whatever device isn't old enough to vote, LOL!).
Most of them are also up on TCMdb as well. Search under the film title.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley, on 26 Apr 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:
Tony Bensley said:
DeWilson said:
Most of them are also up on TCMdb as well. Search under the film title.
Thanks, DeWilson! That is good to know!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My Bowery Boys Volume 2 amazon order now has the "In Transit" status with a May 7 delivery estimate. I'll have to get cracking and watch the last two discs of my Volume 1 set!

CHEERS!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Last Saturday I had the opportunity to view disc one in its entirety of THE BOWERY BOYS COLLECTION, VOLUME TWO 4-disc set and included are some of my own impressions of the three films featured:

SPOOK BUSTERS (1946) great ensemble cast of villains including Douglas Dumbrille (The Marx Brothers' nemesis in A DAY AT THE RACES and THE BIG STORE), Charles Middleton (Ming the Merciless in the Universal Pictures super-serials FLASH GORDON, FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS and FLASH GORDON CONQUERS THE UNIVERSE) and Richard Alexander (Prince Barin in the Universal Pictures super-serials FLASH GORDON and FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS).

Comedic Highlight: The climatic fight seen in slow motion since everyone has been exposed to Dr. Coslow's noxiously overpowering canister of ether.

HARD BOILED MAHONEY (1947) typically postured villainy by ultra-suave and smugly confident Dan Seymour (THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN). When Slip defiantly refers to the unflappable albeit grossly corpulent Dr. Armand as "Fatso" this foreshadows his similar sentiments of the equally treacherous (and rotund) Leon Askin in SPY CHASERS ("Alright, Fatso, here's where you get yours!").

Comedic Highlight: The gang participates as impromptu panelists-contestants crashing Byron Fougler's scholary radio quiz show (it must be seen to be believed).

Curiously the versatile Gabriel Dell portrays a prototype nearsighted "Blinkey"-like character with similar cap and eyeglasses appearance.

BOWERY BUCKEROOS (1947) Bobby Jordan's final (The) Bowery Boys outing. Norman Willis who plays the local gambler-saloon proprietor-desperado gang leader portrayed literally the identical character in THE THREE STOOGES short "Out West" (24/04/1947) theatrically released the selfsame year!

Comedic Highlight: Attempting to secure a full confession from a stubbornly uncooperative Black Jack McCoy to exonerate their friend Louie.

Oh yes, Louie sings!

That's enough Bowery Boys to sate even the most ravenously deprived fan!

Jeff T.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Volume 2 does look to have some of the best Bowery Boys films of the long running series! In my opinion, SPOOK BUSTERS and THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS are enough to justify its purchase! As much as some of us might grumble regarding Warner Archives decision to issue their film catalogue in a chronological order within each volume, but skip over some for future volumes, I think their decision is ultimately paying off! Sales volumes do have be at a sufficient level, in order to justify the release of these underrated and heretofore underexposed films!

Actually, at a time in which a large majority of the original fans of The Bowery Boys films have passed on, I consider it at least a minor miracle that in 2013, even half of their series catalog has seen ANY kind of official release! For all of the flack that Warner Archive has endured for the long delays in getting these films issued, they are ultimately living up to their end of things!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Despite my Amazon and DHL tracking indicating my shipment's location as Des Plaines IL, it is now with me in North Bay, ON! Gotta love these up to date tracking systems, LOL!

One caveat, though. Despite the Amazon Review by an Amazon Verified Purchase Reviewer, which indicated the Bowery Boys volume 1 set discs were pressed, the Bowery Boys volume 2 discs I ordered from Amazon are purple, which indicates DVD-R! My recommendation is to stick with Movies Unlimited for the Bowery Boys sets. Lesson learned!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've decided to return my Bowery Boys Volume 2 DVD-Rs to Amazon, as my urgency in ordering these was to get the pressed DVD's while they're available! In a way, I regret doing so, as I've generally found Amazon's service to be very good. Unfortunately, I also discovered that disc 2 has abrasions, as can sometimes happen with DVD-Rs. In my way of thinking, when I'm shelling out fifty dollars plus for a set, I want pressed DVDs if I can get them!

For that reason, Movies Unlimited is my go to for this and the remaining Bowery Boys Volumes!

CHEERS!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
The old adage happens to be correct: If the deal sounds too good to be true that's because it usually is.

That's why AMAZON.COM (U.S.) marked down its (THE) BOWERY BOYS volume two inventory because they were DVD-Rs.

Really though with the additional international shipping charges and shipping surcharges it came out about the same as MOVIES UNLIMITED.

Thanks for the information and good luck in straightening things out.

Jeff T.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JeffT. said:
The old adage happens to be correct: If the deal sounds too good to be true that's because it usually is.

That's why AMAZON.COM (U.S.) marked down its (THE) BOWERY BOYS volume two inventory because they were DVD-Rs.

Really though with the additional international shipping charges and shipping surcharges it came out about the same as MOVIES UNLIMITED.

Thanks for the information and good luck in straightening things out.

Jeff T.

Thanks, Jeff! The lesson unfortunately, is a bit of a costly one for me as while Amazon is refunding the item and shipping cost, I have to eat the $7.98 import fee deposit. Also, because its an international order, I have to pay to ship it back to Amazon, and get compensated by them later. I also have to wait 2-3 working days for the refund to show up on my CC, before I can order the volume 2 set from Movies Unlimited! For all this trouble, the M.U. order had better be pressed DVD's!

To think I'm having to go to all this trouble for the sake of being able to track my order, and for Amazon's expedited shipping (My overall cost was actually a bit more expensive!)! What a regurgitatin' development this has turned out to be, LOL!

CHEERS!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thankfully, I only had to wait 24 hours for my refund by Amazon to show up on my CC! I've now placed my order with Movies Unlimited, for what I hope will be pressed DVD's of The Bowery Boys Volume 2 set!

CHEERS!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Tony Bensley said:
Thankfully, I only had to wait 24 hours for my refund by Amazon to show up on my CC! I've now placed my order with Movies Unlimited, for what I hope will be pressed DVD's of The Bowery Boys Volume 2 set!

CHEERS!
Let us know how you make out. I'm sure there are others still looking for pressed discs of Vol 2.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LouA said:
Let us know how you make out. I'm sure there are others still looking for pressed discs of Vol 2.
Thanks, Lou! I'll be sure to do so, once I get my Bowery Boys Volume 2 shipment from Movies Unlimited! As this post is on a new page, I'll state for the benefit of anyone that's looking for the limited pressed DVDs of this volume: U.S. Amazon definitely doesn't have them!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just thought I'd make a positive comment regarding Movies Unlimited's Customer Service. It is refreshing to be able to contact a live person who is also very helpful without being put on hold for a dog's age! The few times this Canuck has used their service over the past couple of years, I haven't been disappointed!

Needless to say, Movies Unlimited comes very highly recommended by me!

CHEERS!

Tony

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
It's been reported in another thread that AMAZON duplicates these Warner Archive titles themselves as DVD-Rs and therefore will never have the PRESSED releases for the same title that you can find elsewhere. Just an FYI for anyone considering Amazon for the WA titles that initially come out pressed, as Tony did. .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks