The Boston Strangler

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John KB, Sep 9, 2004.

1. John KB

John KB Second Unit

No one has really had much to say about this title. Is it worth a blind purchase?
    Any opinions appreciated.

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Well, as a film, it's a pretty good shot and features a superb performance from Tony Curtis. It makes alot us of the split-screen technique which you either like or find tiresome. Depends what your taste is, but I still find it an interesting movie.

The transfer is pretty good, but a tad soft and the interiors can be dark rendering some of the split-screen scenes difficult to watch.

Check out DVD Beaver's review with screen shots here

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I own the R2 version & can't comment on the R1 version. If the R1 is anything like the R2 then it will be not be a transfer to really brag about. It is good enough for the low price & in a WS version as opposed to the FS tape I own.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The split screen shots would have been optically composited from seperate 1.37:1 35mm rolls, hence the increased grain.

5. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

It was a grungy-looking film in the cinema and this transfer is pretty accurate - as Gordon says above, the split-screens are all opticals and that is why they're grainier than the rest of the film. But I think Richard Fleischer and his cameraman were going for a gritty look.

6. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Aside from the look of the dvd, is the movie good enough to warrant a blind purchase?

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I would say definately yes. This is Tony Curtis' best job of acting. Buy it if only to watch his performance.