1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

The Boston Strangler R2 on 7/1

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff_HR, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Richard Fleischer's The Boston Strangler [l'√Čtrangleur de Boston] (1968)will be released in R2 by Fox on 7/1. I've been waiting for this for a long time. It had better be in its correct OAR!

[​IMG]
    According to DVDFR.com the DVD is anamorphic 2.35:1.

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...erm...

. . . [​IMG] . . .

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Great news!

The British edition is out on 7th June: The Boston Strangler

It has never before been released on VHS or Laserdisc in 2.35:1 and 'widescreen' TV broadcasts that I have seen have been 1.85:1 so this a great moment for fans of this landmark film.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I just remembered something: A few months back, Fox UK released Peter Weir's The Cars That Ate Paris in 1.78:1 anamorphic (the packaging states "2.35:1 anamorphic") when the film was shot in Panavision @ 2.35:1 - the credits begin in 2.35 but then... 1.78! Agh!

So be careful, comrades.

5. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Thanks for the heads up Gordon. I just ordered the Dutch version for 13.22 Euros thru www.dvdzone2.com. In a few weeks when I get it I'll tell you about it unless someone else here owns it & can give us the info. [​IMG]

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Stunt Coordinator

THE BOSTON STRANGLER is one of those movies which uses ABSOLUTELY EVERY INCH of the wide Panavision image in every scene and must be seen at 2.35 or not at all. The BBC ran a compromised version recently at 1.78, and it was still noticeably cropped and scanned. They might just as well have ran it at 1.33 for all the good it did.

By the way, the upcoming disc will represent the first time the film has been available uncut in the UK, except for a screening on Channel 4 a couple of years back. It was cut on its original theatrical release, and all subsequent video versions were similarly clipped, until it was resubmitted to the current BBFC regime and passed completely uncut.

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I received my copy of the R2 "The Boston Strangler" today 5/8/04. It came in a clear Amaray keepcase.

The specs on the cover art say that it is anamorphic 2.35:1. I can't speak to whether it was anamorphic or not since I don't have a 16:9 TV. The transfer looks very nice to me. I saw no problems other that a very slight softness, but what do you expect from a 36 year old film vs. those of immediate vintage. It had fine 2.0 Stereo sound. As far as I can tell the content of this DVD is no different from my old Betamax prerecorded tape or the theatrical version I saw years ago. There are no extras, no trailers, no documentaries &/or featurettes & no commentary. Zilch! The cover art is pedestrian. All in all I'd recommend this DVD for those who like this story & for those who are fans of Tony Curtis. This is easily his best acting performance.

If it appears down the line in R1 from Fox, be it a "Studio Classic" or not, I'll only rebuy a R1 version if there are some extras.