The Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Collector's Edition 11 DVD Box Set

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joseph S, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

In honor of yet another Walk Off from Big Papi today...

The Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Collector's Edition DVD Box Set - Amazon
    Release date 07/26/2005
    11 DVD (or 12?)
    A&E Home Video

Although, I have all the "worth watching" [​IMG] ALCS games and all the WS games in HDTV or what passes for it from Fox with ground loops and audio blips, it still should be a nice edition. I would love to see if they used the internal 1080i HD feed for this instead of the garbage from Fox in the ALCS especially. Sure hope A&E does this right with 5.1 and anamorphic WS. Some of the ALCS games are going to have to be flippers or Blu-ray, you can't fit 7 hours on a DVD. No details other than above have been released.

They're definitely trying to copy the Pat's "Three Games to Glory" sets' success. Now all we need is ALDS and a WEEI CD Set.

2. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    I don't understand your thinking around needing seven hours on a DVD. Was there some incredibly long game that I've forgotten about?

11 games over 11/12 discs seems likely. So I don't see the problem.

It will be interesting to see if they leave any between innings footage in or just go from return from commercial.

3. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

From information I read at DVDTalk a few days ago, this is a 12-disc set - containing 1 disc each for each of the 7 ALCS games and each of the 4 WS games and the alreay-released World Series 2004 DVD as the 12th disc in the set.

BTW, DeepDiscountDVD has this for $77.97 shipped, 40% off the $129.95 list price.

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Two of the ALCS games were the longest and second longest playoff games in history (but I don't recall either being over 7 hours) - games 4 & 5, won in overtime, AGAINST THE YANKEES!!!
    Boy I never get tired of writing that.[​IMG]

This is a must buy for me, just to see Dave Roberts steal that base against Mariano over and over and over again.

5. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    I looked it up, Game 4 was 5 hours and 2 minutes. Ortiz (the Yankee killer ... did you see those two bombs he hit last week agains the Yankees) won it in the 12th inning.

5 hours and only 12 innings certainly speaks to a playoff game and pitching changes but also to network commercials as well.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I would rather have a root canal with no novacaine while listening to a constant loop of Fran Dreschers laugh than watch this.

-A bitter NY Yankee fan from NJ

[​IMG]

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

C'mon. You would get to make a tape loop of Tim McCarver's constant, obsessive, homoerotic fawning over Derek "Calm Eyes" Jeter. That would cover at least an hour or so.

"Derek Jeter has the calmest eyes of any man I've ever seen"
    - Disturbing sentence uttered by Tim "Derek, I want to have your baby" McCarver in ALCS Game 1, 2004.

Yes this statement did go out worldwide and no he was not kidding.

BTW, did you know that Jeter was named after a hockey player? A Boston Bruins hockey player (check out his middle name). Hahahaha!

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Jeff, that is disturbing.

I told my friend from Boston about this dvd set. He wondered how much time would be given to ALCS games 1-3? I told him a 1 minute recap shown as an easter egg.

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Oh. Mah. God.

The perfect birthday present for my unborn child!!! [​IMG]

The DVD format has finally reached its pinnacle!

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

We hope. However, be sure to send Anamorphic demands to
    homevideo@aetv.com and sports@nesn.com and call the Red Sox.

The good news is they aren't using the same company that butchered "Super Size Me" and their "Faith Rewarded" DVD. However, make them aware there are anamorphic DVDs on Ebay and that there will be diminished sales of a $100+ set if they can't top the bootlegs from the HD broadcasts.

Oh yeah, 7 hours was a stretch, but my recordings were 6+ with pre and post game.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    maybe someday my poor excuse of an organization team the phillies will win and i can get an awsome set like this.
    [​IMG]

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hey, when NESN was rerunning the playoffs this spring because there was no hockey, they reran the losses. It's part of the narrative, man.

Not that I'm likely to ever watch those first three discs, mind you, but I've got no problem with them being there.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

WOW! This is too cool! I cannot believe this! I will have to own this! Its sad to say...but this will be mine! As long as its in OAR, that is! The fact that the Sox won AND I got to watch it in hi-def make it one of the greatest moments of my life.

It STILL would have been one of the greatest moments in my life in standard-def, mind you..... [​IMG]

14. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham

15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

...drool...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I wish that something like this could have been done for Ohio State's 2002 National Championship. That would have been one awesome set to own, especially the last two games of the year. [​IMG]

17. Randy B A

Randy B A Supporting Actor

That looks like a great set. The Red sox are my favorite American league team. I can't wait until us Cubs fan can get a set like this.

I remember Watching the Red Sox beat the Angels in "86" ALCS. I was in Germany and my room mate was from Framingham Mass.

18. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Love the Sox but unless they replaced the Assanine Droning of McCarver and Buck I'm gonna Pass , In fact it would've been nice of they had an Audio Track Number two with the Radio Broadcast from WEEI

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Dave: That's a GREAT idea! Bring on Castiglione & Trupiano! [​IMG] But, again, I'll suffer through Tim McCarver to see the greatest choke in sports history and the Boston Red Sox become Champions of the Baseball World! (I love writing that, too!) [​IMG]

Ya know, for being an odd-duck (and rather expensive) kind of release...I'll bet they'll be surprised by the enthusiastic response from fans. But I would suspect this will be unique given the situation.

20. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Listening to Tim "Jeter Has The Calmest Eyes" McCarver being forced to call the Ultimate Stankee Meltdown is oddly satisfying. [​IMG]