The Boondocks

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brook K, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Was I the only one who watched this? I thought it was a mostly successful translation of the strip. Dug the art and found a number of laugh out loud funny lines.

"They're rich. No matter what you do, they just applaud."

The one thing I'm not sold on is the voice actors for the kids. When I read the strip I just don't hear them with voices so high pitched. My 4 year old's voice isn't that high.

And also while the art is very good, it's too bad they've gone a way that makes the episodes take so long to be produced (16 months I've read). They can't be close to topical.

2. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Exactly.. I sae the preview and did a double take when I heard the voices, definitely not what I had in mind. I can't really believe that AAaron MacGruder signed off on those.

3. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I agree that the voices of the boys are too high pitched and takes some getting used to. BTW, Regina King (Jerry Maguire, Boyz in the Hood) does the voices of Huey and Riley.

4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I wondered about that. I saw Regina King listed first in the credits and was thinking "there weren't any female characters in this episode" [​IMG]

Voices was the problem I had with the Dilbert show. It just sounded too strange and I couldn't get into it. I never watched it again. But I saw enough in Boondocks to keep me interested.

For the last couple of years I've watched almost no TV shows besides The Sopranos and the first two seasons of The Apprentice. But they've got me back this year, as I'm watching this, Everybody Hates Chris, How I Met Your Mother, and CurbYE.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Riley was fine, but Huey definitely sounded too high-pitched and cute. Overall, though, some pretty hilarious moments.

6. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

The story was weak but there were many funny moments. "Why is his face all twisted up? It looks like he jacks off with Icy Hot." Ed Asner's delivery of that was priceless.

7. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I'm a big fan of the strip but had no idea it was being made into a TV show. Could you guys provide a public service and mention when/where this show can be found? Thanks.

Rob

8. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Mixed feelings for me. I REALLY didn't like the voices for the two. Also the show was very centered on the grandfather and in the strip he's maybe 5-10%. It had some good jokes but it just kinda was there. Nothing really happened.

dunno....

And I love the strip and own some of the books...

9. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Rob, it is on Cartoon Network (part of Adult Swim) at 11:00pm ET on Sunday's. They also rerun the previous week's ep at midnight on Saturday's.

10. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Missed it. For some reason my TiVo didn't record it.

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Good show tonight. I was laughing my head off at the protesters fighting each other.

Jason

12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Tonight's The Trial of R. Kelly was much stronger thematically and funnier too. Next weeks looks good as well.

Riley: What about personal responsibility? If I see oncoming pee, I get outta da way!

13. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I love this show!

Edgy and funny!

I am hoping that this finally signals the death of political correctness on TV!

I noticed that on the Adult Swim site there are 15 episodes listed, I hope it goes for years!

14. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Funny, missed the first show. Some really great artwork and really good show. At first the N-word was getting to me but, it's so commonly used to identify anyone now, I learned not to take it seriously, at least not with this sow.

15. BrianV

BrianV Stunt Coordinator

I've never taken the time to read the comic, but through two episodes this show is absolutely fantastic. The writing, artwork, and voicework is all top notch.

The voices don't sound too high to me, but then again since I've never read the comic I didn't already have internal "voices" for these characters.

I'm really enjoying it so far, and I can only hope there's much more to follow.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Really good episode. The show's good at poking fun at the cultural inconsistencies of today.

17. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Last nights was the best yet from an entertainment and character standpoint. It was really funny throughout, but also some nice moments with the boys being conflicted between wanting to see Grandpa happy and getting rid of the ho.

I didn't cuss, I just said ho!

My name is "A Pimp Called Sweetback", you know, like "A Tribe Called Quest". [​IMG]

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

He said, "You got to say the whole thing, you know, like "A Tribe Called Quest". [​IMG]

Good stuff, and I thought they made a good point when Gramps didn't care what she really was, or what she costs him monitarily.

Jason

19. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I love this show!

I just watched the last 4 epidsodes off my TiVo. My favorite so far is "Guess Hoe's Coming to Dinner."

That was great! [​IMG]

I also loved Riley's take on paying for dinner. To paraphrase: "Might as well give her the money and let her buy groceries." [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Best - episode - ever.

"Who do you think I am? Charlie Brown?"

"Beware the false Santa!"

Great stuff tonight.

Jason