What's new

The Book of Daniel (NBC) Fridays (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I am enjoying this show for the writing and the cast. It does get a it too precious and heavy handed at times, but I liken Daniel to Weeds, another show that appears to satisfy the creators more than the audience on occaision but is still solidly enjoyable.

My wife refuses to watch this show because of is sacreligious reputation. I've tried to explain that they don't make fun of Jesus, but she still won't watch it.

BTW, in regards to this week's ep, am I crazy or did one of the scenes "from previous episodes" (the backstage scene at La Cage Aux Folles with the gay son and his date) not actually make it to air?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The show has been cancelled.

Too bad I actually liked this one and wish they would have at least run all 8 episodes that were plained.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I didn't think the show was offensive - I did think it was stupid and pointless. It was like someone dropped the pilot scripts from Seventh Heaven and Desperate Housewives into a blender, turned it on "high" and shot the result. Too bad, there were some talented people involved in the project (the writer-creator was not among them, the only laughs the derivative, paint-by-number scripts got were unintentional ones) and it is shame they won't be drawing paychecks anymore. But if the advertising problems hadn't taken it out, declining ratings would have caught up with it in a few weeks anyway. After all the hype it turned out to be a "seen pretty much all of this before" cookie-cutter nighttime soap with fewer characters to root for than most of them. The art of television has not exactly suffered a major blow, here.

Regards,

Joe

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

No, you're not crazy. I think they've skipped a bit, which is alluded to in the article which interviews the creator about the cancellation:

"Our two greatest episodes were pulled -- episodes that I truly believe would have turned the debate around -- episodes that even the AFA could love," Kenny said. "I'm sorry people won't have the opportunity to see the magnificent work of these brilliant actors."

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I also enjoyed this show, and at least hoped they would finish the limited run.

I didn't think it would get another season, because of all of the controversy, with a few affiliates getting death threats.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I think it had potential... oh well, NBC has so many hit shows to make room for that they can't keep them all on the air.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Official post as to the effect

“Unfortunately, due to many reasons, "The Book of Daniel" will no longer be aired on NBC on Friday nights. I just wanted to say "thank you" to all of you who supported the show. There were many wonderful, talented people who contributed to it's success - and I do mean success. Whatever the outcome, I feel that I accomplished what I set out to do: A solid family drama, with lots of humor, that honestly explored the lives of the Webster family. Good, flawed people, who loved each other no matter what... and there was always a lot of "what"! I remain proud of our product, proud of my association with Sony, NBC Universal, and NBC, who all took a chance on a project that spoke to them, and proud to have made an impact on so many of your lives.”

Thanks for watching.
Sincerely,
Jack Kenny
Creator, The Book of Daniel

http://www.nbc.com/boards/BookofDani...-292731-1.html

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Quoting myself.

3 Fridays in all, and I missed that last show due to it being bumped by a basketball game.
We don't often get to wrap up an entire series with a 20 day thread.
I have some thoughts about the kind of frantic characters that could cause the end of a show they never saw.
I can't express any of those thoughts, but I have them. ;)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
With all the crap they run, I don't see why they can't finish out the series for us. Maybe we need the "canned HDTV shows you never saw" network for Karen Sisco, Dragnet, Eyes, Wonderfalls, Threshold, etc.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I heard it was good, but I'm not in the habit of watching TV, so I didn't watch it. Not that my viewing it would have helped. Hopefully it hits DVD.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Did you dislike the character in ID4? You were meant to dislike him, ya know.:)

I think he's excellent in this part and was also very good in a significant role in the HBO series From the Earth to the Moon. He was in the episode concerning Apollo 1 and the aftermath of the fire. I thought that episode was the best of a very good series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks