What's new

The Book of Daniel (NBC) Fridays (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Well, this Friday anyway.
Aidan Quinn's new series debuts tomorrow night and seems to be drawing complaints from the usual suspects before it airs.
Two affiliates, one in Arkansaw and one in Indiana have said they will preempt the program
Do these yahoos really work for the networks or are they just completly lacking in clues? Their stance almost always results in the opposite of what they would like to accomplish.
For instance, without their plan for censorship I would probably not be aware of the program nor would I be starting this thread.
Quinn plays a minister who talks to Jesus.
I still miss Joan of Arcadia.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
From the previews this show seems to be a closer resemblence to My Name is Earl.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"Whatever else you may have heard about The Book of Daniel, it is first and foremost a show about a true-to-life, loving, complex family. It is also witty, earnest, intelligent, overdone, overly ambitious, wildly entertaining and superbly cast — which are just a few of the things that the people who decided to protest the show before it even aired have failed to mention."

From Robert Bianco's review in USA Today.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I wish people who don't like the premise of a show would just ignore it. This reminds me of when they boycotted "Soap" in the 70s before it even aired, just because it had a gay character.

Our local radio host saw this last night- he described it as a cross between Desperate Housewives & Six Feet Under. He said there was nothing that attacked religion (i.e. the stuff the protesters are complaining about).

I wonder if the stations not showing this have viewed it before making the decision.

If not for the controversy, I wouldn't be watching. From the ads I've seen, I thought it was just another family drama I'd ignore the same way I ignore the other Friday night shows.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I don't understand the controversy. As my friend who was watching it with me said, "this reminds me of Six Feet Under". And basically, the show IS Six Feet Under, but set with more religious overtones.

I am glad a show about religion came on that wasn't all goody-goody like 7th Hell

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a pretty damn good show and I thought Jesus was funny and likeable. The kids kinda got on my nerves though.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I watched this because of the "controversy" but I doubt I will watch it any more. I just think these newer shows like desperate housewives and this show, try to do too much. They want to be funny, dramatic, political, whimsical etc. They just try and be everything to everyone. It would be like CSI having a musical episode. It just doesn't work.

I prefer shows that know what they are and stick to it.

Besides, nobodies life could have as much bad stuff going on as this poor shmuck.

On a more political note, I don't really see why the catholics are complaining. This guy is not a catholic. It is the Episcopals who might not look so good in this show.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Our local NBC affiliate screened the show for some clergy, including an Episcopal priest. He actually didn't say anything truly critical about the show - mainly that it doesn't reflect reality except for the scene where Daniel performs last rites. The interesting thing was the local priest is gay and has a partner. My understanding is the Episicopal church is in two camps on the issue.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really liked the pilot. I hope they go more dramatic and less "Desperate Housewives" as the series goes on, though. Enough neuroses is enough.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I like the premise, but I'm on the fence with the characters... It's so hard to find them likable. The gay son, Peter, comes off as a non-entity, Grace is too much of a drama queen and the horndog son (whose name I didn't catch) is just bizarre. I can't believe I'm about to write this, but Daniel comes off as not religious enough for my tastes. He's the one character I expect to have unassailable virtues even if he does have flaws (he doesn't even seem that conflicted). Ellen Burstyn's character had every right to read him the riot act for that disgraceful sermon. I ended up liking the alcoholic Mrs. Webster most of all, as I really enjoyed her attempt at damage control with her sister. The Jesus character is very much an enigma to me... I don't know quite what to think of him yet.

I've just finished watching the first hour and I'm gonna dive back in for the second hour, hoping it gets better. I think there are the bones of a really good show buried deep here.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to jump back in and agree with Henry's original:That show I miss atleast as much as "Firefly" much for the same reasons. Hell of an ensemble cast.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. True, the children were one dimensional and uninteresting, but I thought Daniel was unique. They sure crammed a seasons worth of plot into two episodes. Let's see:

1. Priest hooked on painkillers
2. Wife is alcoholic
3. Gay son
4. Drug selling daughter
5. Horn dog son.
6. Alzheimers mother
7. Cheating father.
8. Thief brother in law
9. Lesbian sister in law
10.Stolen millions of dollars
11.Pushy parishoner
12.Racist parishoner's wife
13.Dope smoking housekeeper
14.Mafia connected catholic priest

I could go on and on, and that was just in two hours.

But, I did like the portrayal of Jesus. It's kinda like I would hope you could talk with Jesus. Friendly, helpful, laughing, joking. I loved the scene where they start joking with each other at Episcopal Self Help books ("My Tuesday's With Jesus" "I'm Ok, You're Devine").

I've got it set for a season pass on TIVO. We'll wait and see how it does.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I really did enjoy the WILD WILD WEST style commercial break Freeze frame Cartoonish Bookends in Stained Glass for lack of a better description LOL.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Agree there are a few bumps but overall I'm enjoyed it. Garret Dillahunt the actor playing (Jesus) has a Dynamite agent. Dillahunt had a juicy role in Deadwood, as well as recent roles on The 4400, ER, Mr. Ed, and some CSI's.

Don Black

Screenwriter
The stained glass window graphics got to be tedius after a while. It just emphasized how many commercial breaks there were.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Ditto.

I also hate the actor they've chosen to play Daniel's father, Bertram. I detested him in ID4 and time hasn't improved his charms. It looks like they've recasted the actress playing Katherine Webster, judging by the promo for next week.

Well, I finshed hour two and made a season pass. I'm hoping the next few episodes improve. Most of my previous criticisms stand, though Grace is starting to become more well-rounded. I really enjoyed the 'chapter' approach to the story, how each episode flows into the next. A big plus in my book.

I still find Judith Webster to be the most compelling character, but I still dislike about half the cast and am on the fence towards Daniel. He'll do something really interesting and then he'll remind me what a lousy priest he is. It's frustrating but I'm willing to spend a bit more time with the Webster family.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks