1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Bold Ones: The Senator The Complete Series coming 6/16/15

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Darby67, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I've just received The Bold Ones: The Senator complete series and have done a cursory perusal of the episodes...all but one episode appears to be edited, coming in at just over 46 minutes...except for part two of "A Continual Roar of Musketry" which comes in at 50:09...that is the only episode with a prologue (re-cap) prior to the opening theme and title sequence...all the other episodes open straight into the titles and Dave Grusin theme music...the bulk of the edits seem to be found in the commercial fadeouts...leaving abrubtly and bereft of exit music...and, perhaps the pre title prologues...if the original network airings had them in the first place?

The pilot telefilm "A Clear and Present Danger" is 1:37:40 in running time...

Otherwise, the source prints are in "decent" shape, probably on a par with the eOne issue of It Takes a Thief...but at a great price...I got mine for about $17...audio is very good...

Timeless/Shout! have commendably included a new on camera interview with Hal Holbrook (33:44)...an excerpt from a Holbrook appearance on the Dick Cavett Show (12/19/71) (2:48)...and an anti drug PSA featuring Holbrook in a jail cell warning travelling youth dummies that foreign drug laws have more severe penalties than contemporary U.S. laws (1:01)...

I did watch one episode thus far in it's entirety..."The Day the Lion Died", with Will Geer...an episode that I remembered from it's original airdate...great episode...

It would be nice if Shout could release the tv movie "The Whole World is Watching" to add to the Hal Holbrook collection...

2. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

That was one of the two pilot movies for the Lawyers segments of The Bold Ones and will be on that set.

Flashgear likes this.
  3. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks Neil Brock for that info...you are, as usual, a much valued source for your deep knowledge...I look forward to seeing what your recent hints about coming releases pan out into being...

4. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Look for an article about the set at the AV club. My boss John Badham who directed a few of these was interviewed for it

5. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    Watched the pilot film, which was pretty good, with a very topical ecology message. it was sort of a set-up for the series (he's not senator yet). Picture quality is okay. One odd thing--E.G. Marshall and Joseph Campanella have featured roles, playing different characters than in their Bold Ones series.

The picture quality seems to pick up for the two regular series episodes I previewed--at least, they looked much better than the RTV transmissions I saw a few years ago. If a pre-credits sequence showing scenes from the episode is one of the things removed, that's no great loss. Looking forward to more sets from this series!

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    The Bold Ones : The Protectors (Leslie Neilsen, Hari Rhodes) 2dvd set is up for pre-order with a street date of September 15.

7. jperez

jperez Second Unit

jorge perez
  8. Jack P

Jack P Producer

It's a great article for me in that it convinces me why this show is a big fat no-sale for me and a nice reminder of the total lack of *real* political diversity that existed in television then (insomuch as that people watching the programs of that era might assume that every right thinking person voted for the guy who got 39% of the vote and lost 49 states in 1972) just as there is none today. Give me the apolitical shows of that era any day which at least tried to remember that people from all sides of the spectrum like to watch TV.

ChrisALM and Mitchell Hadley like this.
  9. ljgranberry

ljgranberry Second Unit

Larry Granberry
    I'm hoping we get the short- lived series THE PSYCHIATRIST one day, if for nothing else than to see tie early directorial efforts by Steven Spielberg.

10. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    I've watched the pilot movie and the premiere episode so far, and one thing that strikes me is how vastly different they are in tone, subject, and characterization. The pilot is all about the issue, whereas the premiere is much more complex in the way it addresses not only the specific issue raised, but also our system of government and the shadings of Holbrook's character as a real person, with both positive and negative attributes.

I recognize that two data points does not make for a very detailed graph, but I am curious to see where the series went as it moved forward.

11. ljgranberry

ljgranberry Second Unit

Larry Granberry
    Horrible prints, no effort in the least to remaster them. Returning mine ASAP.

12. Wvtvguy

Wvtvguy Second Unit

Marc
    Ouch. That's disappointing to hear about the image quality. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the series.

13. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    Anyone expecting remastered prints from Shout Factory is fooling themselves. They do their best with what they are given from the studio. We are lucky this has been released at all. I think it looks fine.

In these days of dwindling DVD releases of classic shows, I'll enjoy a rare program like this one without remastered prints.

I hope Shout Factory continues to release this series.

14. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    I went ahead and picked this one up as a post-birthday present for myself!!! I enjoyed all of it!!!! I look forward to The Protectors later this year (for XMAS) and, hopefully, The Lawyers and The New Doctors will follow soon. :)

In doing a wiki review on this series in this entirety, it seems to me that each of these series could easily apply to our times now as they did when they originally aired nearly 50 years ago. :)

phenri, Guy Foulard and Flashgear like this.
  15. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Second Unit

Ian Kenneth McLachlan
    I didn't think that the prints were that bad. The Bold Ones is a show that I had heard of but I don't think it was ever shown in Britain. I am always fascinated to buy American shows that I have heard of but never seen before. I much prefer the style of this old shows to most modern dramas - although there are some exceptions of course.

16. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    This is my first time to see The Senator or any of the shows under the Bold Ones umbrella, outside of a few promos on Youtube. So far I've watched the TV movie pilot and first regular episode, and I'll probably watch a few more episodes over the upcoming 3-day 4th of July weekend. I'm really enjoying it. Are the prints perfect? No. Did Shout Factory say anything on their website beforehand about this show being remastered? No, so I wasn't expecting it. It's still very watchable with quality about what I'd expect for a show from that era.

Looking forward to The Protectors release this Fall.

phenri likes this.
  17. Pathfiner

Pathfiner Second Unit

Jeff
    'The Bold Ones' - WAS shown in Britain on ITV circa 1971 - but only the first season (New Doctors/Lawyers/Protectors) and unlike 'The Name of The Game' the segments were not rotated weekly but each were screened in complete runs

we had eight or so episodes of The New Doctors...then seven

(I think it was) episodes of The Protectors, then eight or so episodes of The Lawyers

A) The New Doctors - was a bit like say; Dr.Kildaire/Ben Casey....the next generation !, with new medical techniques and medical 'issues' etc featuring in human dramas, often with each Doctor in turn being the chief character, while a few episodes featured all three Doctors

- Dr. David Craig (E.G. Marshall) is the head of 'The David Craig Institute' with his top Doctors Dr. Theodore Stuart (John Saxon) and Dr. Paul Hunter (David Hartman)

a crossover 2 parter with Ironside from between seasons 2 & 3 of the New Doctors has been screened as a feature length 'Ironside' in the UK on ITV4 channel - 'Five Days in The Death of Sgt Brown' (with Vic Morrow guesting as the third Doctor, Dr. Ritter, with E.G. Marshall & David Hartman, as it's between John Saxon's exit & Robert Alden taking over as Dr. Martin Cohen)

B) The Protectors - has shades of 'In The Heat of The Night' with Leslie Neilsen's white Republican Police officer Lt. Sam Danforth & Hari Rhodes black Democrat D.A. Bill Washburn - who clash alot but have a mutual respect and even a grudging likeing for each other as fellow dedicated public servants

- it's also a bit like 'Naked City' being very down to Earth, no incidental music with the episodes intro'd by a deadpan radio talk show guy named 'Al Raymond' (who is never seen - a bit like Walter Winchell on 'The Untouchables')

- a VERY serious Leslie Neilsen here, and Hari Rhodes have their featured episodes, plus the duo co-lead in other episodes too

C) The Lawyers - were closer to E.G.Marshall's old series 'The Defenders' than say 'Perry Mason' being hard hitting social issues behind the crimes being dealt with in the court rooms

in season one The Lawyers episodes alternate between the full 'Nicholls, Darrell, and Darrell' legal partnership of; Burl Ives (as Walter Nicholls), Joseph Campanella (as Brian Darrell) & a young James Farentino (as Neil Darrell) and episodes that only feature Burl Ives & Joseph Campanella

- tho' the episode; 'The Shattered Image' just features Ives & Farentino, again each Lawyer gets their featured episodes, plus all three co-lead in some stories

like 'The Name of The Game' the opening graphic originally rotated for each segment putting up the featured set of 'Bold Ones' first - I do hope these DVDs retain that !

'The Senator' was in season two and as far as I know was never screened in the UK

18. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    Walsh61, Regulus and Dave Lawrence like this.
  19. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Release The New Doctors and all five of these babies are on my "Santa List". :D

20. JayHink

JayHink Stunt Coordinator

Jason
    For those of you who alphabetize your collection display, where do these go? All in the 'B's to keep the umbrella together? Or under their separate names (Lawyers, Senator, etc.) since they're also self-contained series? Just curious. :)