What's new

The Bold Ones: The New Doctors Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I wonder if it will include BOTH parts of the two part crossover with 'Ironside' story; 'Five Days in The Death of Sgt Brown' ?

this has been screened as an 'Ironside' feature length episode since with E.G. Marshall & David Hartman added to the opening 'Ironside' credits after Raymond Burr and before the rest of the 'Ironside' regular cast - but originally one part (part two I think) was a 'Bold Ones' episode after the other part was an episode of 'Ironside'

This story really takes place between seasons 2 & 3 of 'The New Doctors' (after John Saxon's departure) thus just the two regular Doctors feature (Marshall & Hartman) with Vic Morrow guest starring as the third David Craig Institute Doctor; 'Dr. Ritter'

Robert Walden then came in as 'Dr. Martin Cohen' for the third season of 'The New Doctors'.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Pathfiner said:
I wonder if it will include BOTH parts of the two part crossover with 'Ironside' story; 'Five Days in The Death of Sgt Brown' ?

this has been screened as an 'Ironside' feature length episode since with E.G. Marshall & David Hartman added to the opening 'Ironside' credits after Raymond Burr and before the rest of the 'Ironside' regular cast - but originally one part (part two I think) was a 'Bold Ones' episode after the other part was an episode of 'Ironside'

This story really takes place between seasons 2 & 3 of 'The New Doctors' (after John Saxon's departure) thus just the two regular Doctors feature (Marshall & Hartman) with Vic Morrow guest starring as the third David Craig Institute Doctor; 'Dr. Ritter'

Robert Walden then came in as 'Dr. Martin Cohen' for the third season of 'The New Doctors'.

Jeff:

Your wish has come true: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bold-Ones-New-Doctors-The-Complete-Series/21815

Darby

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
So they include the Ironside crossover episode but they still refuse to unstall the rest of the series from purgatory (after deceiving us about their ability to do so for quite some time).

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I got it wrong in that the show ran for FOUR seasons not three - 44 episodes in total plus the one 'Ironside' crossover - with John Saxon in seasons 1 to 3 and Robert Walden in season 4 as Dr. Cohen

The Senator, Protectors, and Lawyers segments of 'The Bold Ones' are out already in full - I have them all - so this forthcoming DVD set of 'The New Doctors' completes the show.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The early info on the Shout website is troubling...they seem to count the second part of the Ironside crossover as a bonus episode, because the episode isn't listed with the series ones there. I don't know that they are including part 1 from Ironside; it looks like they are just including the Bold Ones conclusion and calling it a bonus.

Arguably worse, the backdoor pilot "The Night Crawler" from season 4 seems to be omitted entirely.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I contacted Shout and got a fairly detailed answer. "The Night Crawler" aired under the Bold Ones title that last season, but contrary to some sources I saw, contemporary articles indicate it was not related to The New Doctors at all and did not use any of the cast of that series. So the set doesn't omit any actual Bold Ones episodes.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
So for the people who purchased the other series under the "Bold Ones" umbrella, how are the DVDs? I read some about the Senator but not the other two.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Set looks good so far. The "bonus" episode, however, is just the Bold Ones conclusion of the two-part crossover with Ironside. (It has Ironside credits only because it was added to the Ironside syndication package later.) The first part of the story, which aired several days earlier on Ironside is not included here.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Wait...if they're supposed to be providing "The Complete Series" then why are they counting the "Bold Ones" half of the crossover as a bonus episode? That should just count as a regular episode. The bonus would/should be the Ironside half of the crossover.

Typical Shout Factory logic.

Still looking forward to receiving my set in the next day or two. And fortunately I have both parts of the crossover already since the whole thing is on the Region 4 release of Ironside Season 6. But it should be available in Region 1 for everyone.

Unless this is some early indication that Shout Factory intends to finally finish Ironside in Region 1? (But I doubt that.)

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Which of these series under the "Bold Ones" umbrella is the best? I've bought The Senator & The New Doctors & enjoyed both.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
The New Doctors is a decent show. Weird seeing David Hartman as an actor after watching him host Good Morning America. I'd be curious to hear how the "The Lawyers" & "The Protectors" are.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I contacted Shout and got a fairly detailed answer. "The Night Crawler" aired under the Bold Ones title that last season, but contrary to some sources I saw, contemporary articles indicate it was not related to The New Doctors at all and did not use any of the cast of that series. So the set doesn't omit any actual Bold Ones episodes.
I was looking at The New Doctors DVD today and doing some internet research. Does anyone have more information on "The Night Crawler" episode? Most online episode guides list this as an episode of season four. The Bold Ones as a series had ended the year before and The New Doctors was airing as a stand alone series that season. Why would NBC resurrect that title for one show? Was this a pilot for a new series? The last episode aired of The New Doctors is a backdoor pilot and included on the set. Why leave one episode of The Bold Ones unreleased on DVD?

MaxMorrow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter Roberts
The short answer is it was never truly an episode of The Bold Ones, but a pilot for "Hernandez, Houston P.D." Here's a TV listing for 01/16/1973, when those episode guides list "The Night Crawler"

I research film and TV for a living, and I can promise you that the most commonly used online sources for episode guides and other information cannibalize each other's information relentlessly. And when one mistake or misunderstanding gets into the system, it spreads like kudzu. They're useful tools, but not 100% accurate by any stretch of the imagination.

*Edited for further information and clarification.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 2.34.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 2.34.05 PM.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I research film and TV for a living, and I can promise you that the most commonly used online sources for episode guides and other information cannibalize each other's information relentlessly. And when one mistake or misunderstanding gets into the system, it spreads like kudzu. They're useful tools, but not 100% accurate by any stretch of the imagination.
Thanks for the information. I was looking at DVD reviews for the set too for more information. It seems that may reviewers listed the two-part Ironside cross over episodes on the set. When it's really just The New Doctors segment with Ironside credits and no part one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks