JoelA

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Fantastic review! Lewton's films are great and even better with these outstanding transfers to Blu-ray.

Your comment about Cleveland triggered a memory. I grew up in NE Ohio as well and my introduction to the Astaire Rogers series was on WUAB Channel 43 in the late 70s. As I recall, they showed them all week during one of the blizzards when schools were closed for the weather. And I've been a fan ever since.

Reactions: Timothy Bodzioney

Timothy Bodzioney

Stunt Coordinator
Reviewer
Real Name
Tim
Channel 43 was the station I was referring to. It was a great time for young people to discover movies. I used to check out books from the neighborhood libraries. I read a book about Lewton while in junior high, several years before I had a chance to see them! I actually saw a triple bill of Lewton movies at a suburban multi-plex in the late 70s! That seems so unthinkable today.

Reactions: JoelA
Real Name
Rod
Robert Wise directed many good films, but never a great one; The Body Snatcher comes closest. So who should be given the lion's share of the credit, Wise or Lewton? Certainly Lewton is responsible for the scene with the blind singer, the most memorable thing in the movie.

According to an interview, Wise said Welles never spoke to him again. Guess we can file that under "What'd You Expect?"

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
July