What's new

The Body Snatcher (1945) - coming from Scream Factory March 26, 2019 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-body-snatcher?product_id=7009

BodySnatcher.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

"The Body Snatcher is one of Lewton's greatest works and contains what is arguably Karloff's finest performance." – TV Guide

A literary classic becomes a horror classic at the hands of masters Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Val Lewton!

Screen icon Boris Karloff plays the title role in the Val Lewton adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's The Body Snatcher, directed with subtle calculation by versatile Robert Wise (West Side Story, The Sound of Music). A doctor (Henry Daniell, The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake) needs cadavers for medical studies and Karloff is willing to provide them ... one way or another. The film also features a wonderful supporting performance by fellow horror icon Bela Lugosi.

Product Information
DISCS

RUN-TIME
77 min

ASPECT RATIO
1.33:1

COLOR
Black & White

LANGUAGE
English

REGION
A

RATING
Not Rated

PRODUCTION DATE

CLOSED-CAPTIONED
No

SUBTITLES
English

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I enjoy these short movies but not at Scream/Criterion prices. The Val Lewton films should have been released in a box set or at least as double features. Buying all of these short films at $20+ dollars a piece even on sale is a very expensive proposition.

I get what you're saying, but but as always, value for any particular title is in the eyes (and wallets) of the beholder. THE BODY SNATCHER contains my all-time favorite Karloff performance -- he is mesmerizing, and steals every scene he's in. Henry Daniell is also tip-top here. The movie is a slow build to a terrifying climax, and it would be worth $50.00 to me to get a great transfer of it.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I would have really preferred the remaining two Tourneur films, I Walked with a Zombie and Leopard Man, and The Seventh Victim as prtiority. Hopefully they're coming.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From Shout's Facebook page and website:
Bonus Features
  • NEW 4K Scan Of The Original Camera Negative
  • NEW You’ll Never Get Rid Of Me: Resurrecting THE BODY SNATCHER Featurette
  • Audio Commentary With Director Robert Wise And Writer/Film Historian Steve Haberman
  • Documentary – Shadows In The Dark: The Val Lewton Legacy
  • Still Galleries – Posters, Lobby Cards, Movie Stills
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-body-snatcher?product_id=7009

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Blu-ray Disc of "The Body Snatcher" arrived at my house late yesterday (Fri March 8), and I have only had time to look at 5 or so minutes.
Looks great from what I've seen so far. I think the term reference quality is in order.

Love this film! And from the few minutes I have watched, this is far superior (understatement) to any presentation of this classic that I have ever seen.

I hope we can get this kind of restoration for "Bedlam" and "I Walked with a Zombie".
And,
it would be fantastic if the upcoming Karloff/Lugosi Universal pairings from Shout Factory look somewhere close to this level of restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks