The Blues Brothers DVD, is it worth the $$$

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad M, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

I've been hoping it would drop in price but my local Best Buy still has it for $27.99. I noticed it has some extra footage or something added to it but is it worth that much? Any opinions are welcomed.

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

If you're a fan of the movie it's definitely worth it IMO. It's got lots of great footage cut back in, including extended musical numbers. (More John Lee Hooker is always a good thing.) Plus, the DD 5.1 track sounds incredible given the movie's vintage. The picture is fine, in widescreen (and anamorphic). There's also a pretty good documentary on board.

Ryan

3. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I agree. If you like this movie and it's music then YES, it's worth it just for the extended versions of almost every musical number.
    Bruce

4. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

The Blues Brothers has been at this price level since at least 1998 when I bought it. I dont see it changing anytime soon. If you want to, wait until the next Best Buy preferred customer week(If you get the coupons in the mail) and that will save you 10%.

Good Luck,

Fred

5. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    It is most definitely worth it! It was my first DVD and still one of my best.

6. Brad M

Brad M Second Unit

Wow. Lots of positive reviews. I guess this is one reason we get gift cards. [​IMG] I'll have to go and pick it up. Thanks everyone.

7. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

This is an excellent version. Too bad the singing of "Sink the Bismark" at Bob's Country Bunker is lost. I think that it would have given "Rawhide" a run for its money.

8. Patrick_J

Patrick_J Agent

[Some folks on eBay are labeling the Blues Brothers DVD as out-of-print. If I didn't own it already, I'd certainly be using my gift card to get it. It's a classic!

-pjc

9. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

10. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

Excuse me, there was never a legal DVD version of The Blues Brothers with a DTS track. Joke right?

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

12. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

If you adore this movie as much as I (and several others, apparently) do, it's a must-buy. This is easily one of my most beloved DVDs...especially considering how many times I had to watch this movie on network TV! [​IMG]

13. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

> You must be thinking of "Blue Brothers 2000", which had two versions released in R1 - a DD Special Edition and a movie-only DTS version.
    I'm glad you posted that, because I just rented BB2000 & was going nuts trying to find the extras. I just get a menu with Play Movie & Chapter List as choices- no trailer, no documentary, yet the sleeve it came in called it a Universal Collector's Edition. At first I thought they sent the Divx version. [​IMG]
    So if I got the movie-only DTS version, how was I able to play it on my DD-only system?
    Even better question: why is Netflix stocking a DTS version, which not many people could benefit from, yet not even mention DTS in the description?
    BTW, the movie was a lot better than I had expected.

14. John Beavers

John Beavers Second Unit

To clear up my earlier comment about DTS with the Blues Brothers DVD, it was as mentioned earlier in the thread the 2000 version that I was thinking of.

15. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

to my eyes, BLUES BROTHERS is one of the finest looking dvd's out there. and i have picky eyes. [​IMG]

16. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

DTS "only" DVDs are still required to have a DD 2.0 track.

I also think BB has a fantastic picture at times.

17. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, nuts as I am about the extra scenes, improved picture, and extras, what I really love about this disc is the sound. The music portions have a tremendous new mix that finally allows me to hear each individual instrument, as opposed to a big wall of sound.

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

The Blues Brothers disc is REFERENCE QUALITY... it is the best that the movie has looked in years, there is ALOT of added scenes (I think the movie is about 2 1/2 hours long now), and the Documentary on the disc (which was made during BB2000) is also great. I would highly recommend it to anyone, plus it is about 200x better than watching it on TNT in pan and scan [​IMG]
    BUY IT! NOW! RUN! DON'T WALK! [​IMG] I feel this DVD is essential to any REAL DVD Collection (unless you hate the movie of course).

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I just rented this recently. While I don't think Blues Brothers is reference quality, it is quite good. I was very impressed with the quality of this 20+ year old film and I think this disc is worth the money if you are a fan of the movie.