The Blue Veil-1951-RKO who owns it ?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrankXS, Feb 22, 2004.

1. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

Jan 9, 2004
    Jane Wyman and Joan Blondell were Oscar nominated for The Blue Veil in the early 1950's. Does any one know who owns the rights to this movie ? I don't think it has ever been available in any format. I don't know if it has been on Turner Classic or AMC. Why has a movie with two Academy Award nominations apparently disappeared ?
  2. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Sep 30, 2001
    The RKO library is controlled by Warners.
  3. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Dec 11, 2003

I'm not so sure that it is that simple. While Warner's may own this title, I know that the "The Devil and Daniel Webster" release from Criterion shows a copyright for RKO pictures (I don't have it in front of me, but I'm sure that's the case). The original film was released by RKO in 1941; the current copyright notice would indicate that the corporation must still exist in some form. I don't think that Warner's licenses their films to other distributors, so it doesn't seem like it would show up as a Criterion if Warner's did own it.

I know that a lot of the RKO library is owned by WB, I just don't know that ALL of it is. It's possible that this was an independent production released through RKO, and that the rights have reverted back to the original producers. Or that RKO sold it. Or that Warner's does own it. Or something else.