The Blue Max - Farewell to Arms

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Joined
Dec 21, 1998
Messages
815
Both "The Blue Max and Farewell to Arms" are being released on Blu-ray on May 7th and can be purchased from Amazon.de. I ordered by movies and will advise their quality as well if the are Region "B" locked. Because I own several Region-Free Blu-ray players I am not concerned about the disc region code. Here is the frustrating part. I paid $39.00 for both titles which includes the shipping. That is a dollar less than I paid for Major Dundee. Twilight is very expensive.
 

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
97
Real Name
Simon Lewis
I've also ordered The Blue Max as its one of my favourite movies. I will be interested to see your comments about A Farewell to Arms.

These movies are both released by Ascot Elite and I have a few releases from them on Blu and they have been fine.

Ascot Elite are also releasing Hornets Nest in June. This is a movie I've always wanted to see, so I shall probably pick that up as well. I like the artwork.

http://www.amazon.de/Das-Wespennest-Hornets-Nest-Blu-ray/dp/B00CE9NDYA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1PNEHSNU20VJE&coliid=I25DJB7GP9OMYW
 

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
3,587
Location
London
Real Name
Alan
It will be interesting to read what you both think about the Blu of The Blue Max, I really enjoyed it at the cinema about a thousand years ago. Will it be a Von Ryan's Express or a Sand Pebbles? If it looks good I'll put my order in.
 

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
1,710
Location
La Mesa (San Diego) CA
Real Name
John Hermes
Billy Batson said:
It will be interesting to read what you both think about the Blu of The Blue Max, I really enjoyed it at the cinema about a thousand years ago. Will it be a Von Ryan's Express or a Sand Pebbles. If it looks good I'll put my order in.
I remember seeing this at the movies, too, when I was about 14 (was it that many years ago?). I pre-ordered it and am hoping it's nice.
 

trajan

Screenwriter
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
1,198
Real Name
lar
The ad says it is PAL. A US release would be nice. Hello FOX.
 

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
3,587
Location
London
Real Name
Alan
trajan said:
The ad says it is PAL. A US release would be nice. Hello FOX.
I wouldn't take any notice of that, they often get that wrong. Blu-ray is HD & not PAL or NTSC. The big question is, is it region B locked? The great thing about the internet is that you can find these things out quite soon after it's released. It's a good price, I hope Fox was able to supply them with a good HD master.
 

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Joined
Dec 19, 2012
Messages
640
Real Name
Leon Romero
Based on the Blu-ray.com specs for The Blue Max, it appears that the English audio track is a DTS HD MA version of the 2.0 downmix found on the DVD. The German track is also 2.0. Perhaps these are coming from old HD master from overseas and not new, restored elements which Fox would prepare for a domestic release. The Blue Max did extremely well in write-in votes when Fox did the Vote Your Choice program a few months ago according to a HTF owner, so we can probably expect a US release of TBM sometime down the road. The only way I see A Farewell to Arms getting a domestic release is if Fox does an HD upgrade of their Hemingway Classics set (which would be awesome so The Snows of Kilimanjaro and The Sun Also Rises would be upgraded). Honestly, I think that AFtA is an absolute steaming crap pile and one of the worst major films of the '50s. I'd much rather see some of the true classics (which are sadly going to Twilight Time) get released than this abomination.
 

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
97
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Received "The Blue Max" in the post today. Had a quick scan through and the picture quality is very good, a big improvement on the DVD. Some of the back projection effects look a bit soft but apart from that its very good.Disc is region B locked, dual layer, looks like its the full version at 155 minutes.One nice touch is that the cover is reversible and there is some original poster art on the reverse cover.
 

Reed Grele

Patron
Joined
Jun 30, 1997
Messages
1,892
Location
Beacon Falls, CT
Real Name
Reed Grele
Simon Lewis said:
Received "The Blue Max" in the post today. Had a quick scan through and the picture quality is very good, a big improvement on the DVD. Some of the back projection effects look a bit soft but apart from that its very good.Disc is region B locked, dual layer, looks like its the full version at 155 minutes.One nice touch is that the cover is reversible and there is some original poster art on the reverse cover.
Is the Intermission and entr'acte included? Any bonus material?
 

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
97
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Reed Grele said:
Is the Intermission and entr'acte included? Any bonus material?
Only extra is a trailer.

I havnt watched the film all the way through so I dont know about the intermission, however there was some text in German before the film started which appeared to say there was an intermission of 3 minutes - however my German is very poor, so I could be wrong.
 

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Joined
Dec 21, 1998
Messages
815
Farewell To Arms Blue Max
Video 1080P/24 1080P/24
Audio DTS-HD 2.0 Mono DTS-HD 2.0 Mono
Running Time 153 minutes 156 minutes
Region-Code Locked B Locked B
Extras Original Trailer/TrailerShow Original Trailer/TrailerShow
Series Cinema Treasures Cinema Treasures
Distributor Ascolt Elite Asolt Elite

The video for both Blu-rays is very good a big improvement over the DVD. if you enjoy these titles they are a good buy make sure you have a Blu-Ray player that allows you to manually change the region-Code.
 

DP 70

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 16, 2011
Messages
1,046
Real Name
Derek
I watched this last night and was pretty impressed , but to me the some of the squeeze does not seem right with
actors looking thinner in the centre and even more thinner at the edges. Also the frame seems taller than 2.35.1.

The Blue Max is a great movie i saw in London in 4 Track Mag on release when i was very young as my dad was
chief projectionist at the Rialto Cinema in Coventry Street.
 

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Joined
Mar 23, 2001
Messages
827
Location
Los Angeles
Real Name
John
Ernest said:
Farewell To Arms Blue Max
Video 1080P/24 1080P/24
Audio DTS-HD 2.0 Mono DTS-HD 2.0 Mono
Running Time 153 minutes 156 minutes
Region-Code Locked B Locked B
Extras Original Trailer/TrailerShow Original Trailer/TrailerShow
Series Cinema Treasures Cinema Treasures
Distributor Ascolt Elite Asolt Elite

The video for both Blu-rays is very good a big improvement over the DVD. if you enjoy these titles they are a good buy make sure you have a Blu-Ray player that allows you to manually change the region-Code.
Both films are listed as mono, but I am sure both were shown in stereo recently.
 

DP 70

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 16, 2011
Messages
1,046
Real Name
Derek
Re my above post, The Blue Max was only 3 Track Magnetic Stereo on release.

Also the German audio track is DTS MA 2.0 Mono and the English track is DTS MA 2.0 Stereo.

I did also have a LP of the soundtrack that was taken from the 3 Track Mag, one of Goldsmiths many great scores.
 

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Joined
Dec 19, 2012
Messages
640
Real Name
Leon Romero
DP 70 said:
Re my above post, The Blue Max was only 3 Track Magnetic Stereo on release.

Also the German audio track is DTS MA 2.0 Mono and the English track is DTS MA 2.0 Stereo.

I did also have a LP of the soundtrack that was taken from the 3 Track Mag, one of Goldsmiths many great scores.
The Blue Max was released with 4-track mag, and possibly with 6-track 70mm blowups (not sure about the second one). The music recordings may have been done in 3-track, but Fox never did 3-track final mixes to my knowledge.

Oh, and the score is absolutely sublime.
 

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
1,710
Location
La Mesa (San Diego) CA
Real Name
John Hermes
DP 70 said:
I watched this last night and was pretty impressed , but to me the some of the squeeze does not seem right with
actors looking thinner in the centre and even more thinner at the edges. Also the frame seems taller than 2.35.1.

The Blue Max is a great movie i saw in London in 4 Track Mag on release when i was very young as my dad was
chief projectionist at the Rialto Cinema in Coventry Street.
I thought it looked pretty good too. Contrast is a bit flat and the color's not exactly vibrant. I'll have to take another look for the squeeze. I didn't notice it the first time around.
 

DP 70

Screenwriter
Joined
Oct 16, 2011
Messages
1,046
Real Name
Derek
70mm prints of The Blue Max were released in the USA, I have never heard of a 70mm showing in the UK.
 

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jan 31, 2003
Messages
866
Lromero1396 said:
The Blue Max was released with 4-track mag, and possibly with 6-track 70mm blowups (not sure about the second one). The music recordings may have been done in 3-track, but Fox never did 3-track final mixes to my knowledge.

Oh, and the score is absolutely sublime.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe "Blue Max" had a surround channel, as DP70 said, it was just L.C.R. This is what the blu-ray should be, not a mix-down.
Also, I think the dvd release had reversed channels on part or all of the english track.
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
345,196
Messages
4,733,652
Members
141,404
Latest member
l3randon39