What's new

The "Blind Buy" Blu-ray Purchase you regret the most? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's hard to watch The Misfits if you know anything about the personal and professional lives of its three main participants: Gable, Monroe, and Clift. An air of melancholy and angst really hangs over it, and you can especially see the fragility of Monroe and Clift if you look for it.

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
Silverado.

I'm a big fan of both Body Heat and The Big Chill and, for that matter, of Lawrence Kasdan, so I bought the Blu-ray with no hesitation and with high expectations. What a major disappointment! There are many things wrong with Silverado, but the main problem is that it is simply BORING. I sold the Blu-ray a few weeks after my first and, thank God, only viewing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Silverado
Wow, Jauritt. Silverado is considered one of the most favored
westerns among HTF members over the years. I love that film.

That being said, I understand what it's like to go against the grain.
I have disliked more popular films as well.

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
Ronald Epstein said:
Wow, Jauritt. Silverado is considered one of the most favored
westerns among HTF members over the years. I love that film.

That being said, I understand what it's like to go against the grain.
I have disliked more popular films as well.
And it was that kind of favorable word-of-mouth, along with my admiration of Kasdan and his other films (I Love You to Death is one of the most under-rated comedies of all time) that made my disappointment that much more intense. It's pretty difficult, if not impossible, to talk someone out of his or her opinion (and I wouldn't try to do that even if I could), especially if that opinion is widely held, but for the life of me I cannot understand why Silverado has the following that it does. I love movies, especially good movies, and I wish I could see the attributes of this one, but I can't.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I bought 3 copies of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Blu-ray collection, 2 as presents.

I probably would have bought my own anyway but I certainly would not have wanted to make this set a present to anyone. I had to apologize for The King and I as well as the other problems with the set. I hate to think of future generations thinking this is what it looked like in original release.

I have a long-standing rule about not blind-buying Universal product, but now I have added Fox to the same restriction, so I am pretty much down to Sony and Warners among the majors.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just bought "The Incredible Melting Man". Under $10 and that was $10 too much. The filmmakers owe me money for the hour and a half they took out of my life. This is a stinker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks