What's new

The "Blind Buy" Blu-ray Purchase you regret the most? (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Parts Per Billion. Not at all what I thought it would be. A total snoozer, for me anyways.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
A Night at the Museum: Other than the parts with Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney as security guards, I didn't like it very much. Blu-ray was relatively new at the time.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
For me - it was definitely one of the Dungeons & Dragons movies - it was so terrible i've blotted the title from my memory.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Man in the Dark from Twighlught Time. A very weak film noir, 3D wasn't that good, and it was very expensive. Biggest all-time purchase regret.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
pro1.jpg

Not just a movie I disliked, but was actually angry after watching it given the cast, and potential. I didn't even bother giving it away-straight in the garbage where it belongs.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The biggest disappointment for me was the biopic 'The Buddy Holly Story' with Gary Busey.
I love that movie. But the Region B Blu ray was a stinker. Absolutely the worst quality Blu ray I've ever seen. I got rid of it as fast as I could.
Thank god Twilight has now got the title.

ThadK

Second Unit
While people have gone through my movie collection, I'll often advise on certain titles, "Oh that's awful," etc., and at least one person has asked, "So why do you own it?" Mainly because (besides wanting to actually watch a movie before I pass judgment) DVDs were so ridiculously cheap that impulse buys were a dime a dozen.

Now in the 2010s, we're back to the 1980s model, where you better make sure what you're buying is something you might actually watch a second time for the amount you're forking over. Fortunately at this point in home video technology, it'll probably be the last time you buy that film.

As far as "blind buys" go in Blu-Ray, I bought WHO'S MINDING THE STORE? as soon as it came out because I genuinely like that film. Sadly, I didn't see the news that the whole line of Jerry Lewis-Olive Films releases were subpar until after it had shipped. Garbage release that put me off getting their other Lewis titles.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't do a lot of blind buys. Two that I regret do come to mind.

1.) The Usual Suspects on DVD. A friend of mine raved about this movie. I could see the surprise ending coming a mile away. There was nothing to the movie (IMO) other than the big surprise. I ended up giving the DVD to the friend who recommended it (he didn't have it on DVD).

2.) Indiscreet, the Olive Blu-ray with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant. I ordered it after reading RAH's enthusiastic "A Few words" about it. It was actually a good movie, but I realized that when it was over I would never want to watch it again, so I sold it on Amazon the next day.

A regretted blind buy doesn't have to be a real dog. Sometimes you just realize you bought a good movie you only needed to see once.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
The issue I had with Indiscreet was the transfer quality, which really wasn't where it ought to be. But I do love that movie and will revisit it from time to time. The Women is an absolutely classic for me, bar none a personal favorite. I do, however, respect that fact that tastes will differ.

Dogs I blind purchased?
Angels and Demons and Major Dundee. Barely sat through the first. Made it through the second and sincerely wish that I didn't!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
David_B_K said:
I don't do a lot of blind buys. Two that I regret do come to mind.

1.) The Usual Suspects on DVD. A friend of mine raved about this movie. I could see the surprise ending coming a mile away.
Me too, and I don't understand why is this considered a surprise ending. I thought it was obvious from the start.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I first got into blu ray straight after the format war ended, i purchased an American Playstation 3 and 10 disc titles, one of those titles was Basic Instinct, i really like the film but the blu ray was bad quality, dnr, ee, macroblocking, smeary and with motion issues, you name it, it was a blind buy, i saw that film at the cinema, the blu ray is atrocious, one of the worst out there, still waiting for Lionsgate/Canal + to deliver a new film scan and re-release.

I suppose for blind buys i would also have to mention Valhalla Rising, nice scenery, bad film, nothing much happens, it only cost me a fiver but i wish i hadn't bothered, let me think and come up with another one, okay i'm popping next door to look at what i have, oh yeah i got another stinker, The Mist, it had early promise but the religious woman played by Marcia Gay Harden practically sank the film for me and i felt the motivations of the characters were questionable, it disappointed me greatly, i wish i hadn't bought it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
David_B_K said:
1.) The Usual Suspects on DVD. A friend of mine raved about this movie. I could see the surprise ending coming a mile away. There was nothing to the movie (IMO) other than the big surprise. I ended up giving the DVD to the friend who recommended it (he didn't have it on DVD).
Add me to the list of those who saw the "surprise" (which was no surprise at all) coming a mile away. I saw it theatrically and wouldn't taint my collection with it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Gamer 3D. It was $8, and I should have heeded the warnings. Great premise; lousy execution. Most of the films listed so far are available on Netflix, so I can watch them without spending oodles of cash.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
Mine was "Farscape," the complete series. I kept hearing such great things about it and was excited to view it. But I could barely make it through season one. I ended up trading it in.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Most of the 'contemproary' Blu-ray titles I fanatically purchased back in my first few months of Blu-ray buying. They are all for sale if anybody is interested:

* Halloween
* Sex & the City: The Movie
* The Women (remake)
* Hairspray (remake)
* Juno
* The Pink Panther (remake)
* The Goonies
* Planet Terror
* The Wedding Singer
* Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
* How to Lose Friends and Alienate People
* Election
* Beetlejuice
* Maid in Manhattan
* The House Bunny
* Bride Wars
* Spaceballs
* Get Smart
* Rumour Has It

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Do individual titles in box sets count?
i thought How to Marry a Millionaire and There's No Business Like Show Business from the Forever Marilyn set were dreadful.
But I also hadn't seen The Misfits, and now I love that movie. I got it on sale at $25 for 7 movies, so I still think I came out ahead.

As far as DVDs go, I signed up for Columbia House back in 2001, and trying to maximize my value with the free enrollment titles I ended up with Season 1 of Sex and the City.
Even though it was free I still regretted it, because it took the place of a title I would eventually pay for, and having to explain why it was on my shelf to visitors. Eventually gave it to an appreciative female friend.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Those two Marilyn titles from the box-set are the ones I dislike most too .. but since I love Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and River of No Return, I'm way ahead too!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm the opposite - always adored "...Millionaire" and "...Show Business", but "The Misfits" just leaves me cold. Maybe its all the bad vibes it stirred up off the set, like Gable's premature passing. I don't know. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks