1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

The Black Stallion -- what a beautiful film

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandt, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Brandt

Brandt Stunt Coordinator

Couple of months ago I decided to look through our family's DVDs to see if there was something other than the usual Disney animated fare that our 2 year old son might enjoy. I saw "The Black Stallion", one of those DVDs we got for free with the purchase of our first DVD player way back when. Anyway, I hadn't seen it in forever, but thought our boy might enjoy the horse. I put it on, and both he and I were riveted to the screen for the entire film. Absolutely amazing. Coppola did a great job.
    So many have raved about how well "Castaway" was done, particularly the period where he was stranded on the island for so long and how they made that work with so little dialogue. I think they probably took some notes from "Stallion"; amazing interaction between the boy and the horse, with no dialogue. Touching at times. The music is incredibly well done, and very understated. Acting is first-rate. The entire film 'feels' or unhurried (well, except the race) but is captivating at the same time. Even the end credits are entertaining. I would encourage any of you who haven't seen it recently to watch it again. Our 2-year-old still begs for it and sits through the entire thing (even preferring it over Toy Story [​IMG] ).

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Brandt,

It's true that Coppola was the executive producer of this great film, but don't give him too much credit while discounting the efforts of the director, Carroll Ballard. Ballard is a very good director. He has directed two other fine family films "Never Cry Wolf" and "Fly Away Home". He has a very visual sense of filmmaking and I only wish he would direct more often.

Crawdaddy

3. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    The Black Stallion is marvelous. I haven't seen it in many years. I've heard the DVD transfer is not very good. Any comments?

4. Brandt

Brandt Stunt Coordinator

I'm no expert, but the transfer looks OK in scenes where there is a lot of light. The scenes that are dark can look a bit grainy. The film could definitely use a re-release on DVD, with a new transfer and some extras. I believe the version sold now is still the same version that was sold when DVD players first hit the market 5 years ago. I'd love to see some documentaries and other goodies on a remastered transfer.

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I have this on LD, and I agree that it's an excellent movie. I've watched it several times, and I don't even have kids [​IMG] Probably because I was addicted to the books when I was a kid.