The Black Sabbath and Ozzy appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've just been re-discovering the joys of the greatest metal band ever: Black Sabbath.

As of now, I only have their first 5 albums, but I'm going to look into some of their post Ozzy stuff as well.

Simple but powerful riffs, juvenile lyrics, and Ozzy! What more could you ask from a metal band? Besides the famous songs like Paranoid and War Pigs, which are great, some of the lesser tracks are even better: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Sabra Cadabra, Sweet Leaf, etc.

Simple, direct, no bullshit rock.

I'm gonna look into the Dio stuff, too, but I don't expect it to hold a candle to the Ozzy era.

On that note, I gotta give props to Ozzy. That man survived countless fads and fashions throughout rock. At his best, he made some of the best metal ever: Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a Madman, and No More Tears are fantastic albums. At his worst, he was still better than most rock bands. I haven't picked up the new one yet, though. I'll get around to it eventually.

I love Ozzy because he's an insane, weird, drunk rock star and he never pretended to be anything else. No politics, no agenda, no "serious artist" stuff. Rock for rock's sake. Having gotten into rock in the early 90s, where the issues of integrity, selling out, and keeping rock "pure" were all the rage, Ozzy just busted through all of that crap and made fun, loud metal. How refreshing.

Long live Ozzy, and keep blasting those Sabbath records until your neighbors complain and call the cops!

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I have to agree. Black Sabbath was an amazing band musically. While the lyrics were nothing mind-bending unless you're in 7th grade, and they would occassionaly slip into the silliness that permeated '70s rock production (*cough* drugs *cough*), AND they even used Rick Wakeman, they still made alot of classic rock music. When you get down to brass tacks, they had everything that makes a good hard rock band.

The remastered CDs from Castle are a remarkable improvement in quality. Check 'em out! I have the first 6 albums, and I'm still looking for Technical Ecstasy. After that, I'm not too interested.

3. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only one? hehe

Every thread I read dealing with Sabbath not one person

mentions Born Again (w/ Ian Gillan sp?). Do not get me

wrong, I still think the early albums with Ozzy are

the best. However, Born Again was just an album

that I really enjoyed right away and occasionaly still

listen to.

Agree with Ozzy as a solo artist. There are just some

classic hard rock songs that still stand up today.

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

If there's ever a Heavy Metal "Hall of Fame", Black Sabbath should be the first inductees. The opening chords to "Iron Man" were a requirement for any guitar player I ever jammed with (as well as the opening riff to "Smoke on the Water"). [​IMG]
    Ozzy is the coolest rocker ever. Period.
    I met him once at a Tower Records in NYC. I really didn't know what to say so I just shook his hand and told him he was the baddest motherf$%ker in the world. He smiled and incoherently mumbled something (as only Ozzy can!). I love the guy.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Born Again is a great album! But maybe not a great Black Sabbath album.

The real problem with the album was that it was rushed and has a very muddy mix (I haven't heard the remaster) but song wise it's great, and for fans of Ian Gillan it's a must have!

7. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Come on! Everyone, sing along . . .

Generals gathered in their masses,

just like witches at black masses.

Evil minds that plot destruction,

sorcerers of death's construction.

Admit it. You're singing. Seriously, if you opened this thread, then you know you're singing.

8. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Da Da Daaaaaa Daaaaaaaa
    Da Da!!
    I hate you!![​IMG] Now this will be in my head all day!!!

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I was just re-visiting the Ozzy years on the excellent 2-disc "Best of" from Castle. Good remastering, good song selection, useless liner notes, and cheaper than replacing all of your Warner Brothers CDs with imports. I wish Warner would just hand the catalog over to Rhino for a proper re-mastering and US release, though.

Regards,

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ken, what's wrong with the Warner Brothers discs? Are you saying there are better versions of these albums in foreign markets?

If so, then yeah, Rhino are the masters of mastering (uch, what an awful sentence).

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

12. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Following is additional "Preaching to the Choir":
    Ditto to what everyone has said about the Castle disks. I bought SBS on Amazon to see what it sounded like (my original Warner disk sounded crappy), and immediately bought the rest of the 1st 6.
    As for Heaven and Hell, I liked it a lot and still do, but I look at it as a Dio album with Sabbath backing him up, rather than a Sabbath album. In fact, if you listen to HAH, and then listen to say, Dio's Holy Diver, you will hear quite a lot of Sonic similarities.
    By bonafieds regarding Sabbath are:
    1. 1st heard Paranoid and SBS over a friends 8 Track when I was about 12 (1972). Was immediately hooked, and at the time, I had never, ever, heard anything like Sabbath before. It was like I had finally found "My Music". Decided that I wanted to play the guitar. Could not figure out why I could not get the same sound Iommi got on War Pigs when cranking a Silvertone amp w/8 inch speaker.
    2. Against my mothers order, sneak downstairs at 11:30pm to watch the old "In Concert" show (I think that is what it was called), featuring the original California Jam. First time I see Ozzie do the Peace Sign. Very Cool.
    3. Saw Sabbath live for the 1st time in 1978 on Cape Cod. Front row (I still have the bruises and damaged hearing to prove it!). Openning act was a somewhat unknown LA band called Van Halen (I did have VH's first, so I was one of the few in the crowd that knew who they were). Even the security guys (6'8" tall, with no necks) were playing air guitar to War Pigs. Saw God.
    IMHO, YMMV, blah, blah, blah.
    If anyone else out there gets off on playing Sabbath riffs on Guitar, head over to Tony Oimmi's official web site at http://www.iommi.com/splash.htm. He has links to some great TABs (if I only knew that Sabbath frequently tuned down to C# when I was 15!).
    BL

13. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I just came back from Newbury Comics and I saw some Black Sabbath remaster. They must be the ones you guys are talking about, but the price was only 13.99 per disk and they weren't labeled as imports. They had the debut, Technical Ecstacy (which I never heard, as it's supposed to be a bad album), and Masters of Reality, which had one of those paper slip cases. I'll have to pick those up eventually.

Have any of you picked up Ozzy's new album? Oh sure, he's not going to break any musical boundaries, but a new Ozzy release is always good news. Zakk Wylde is on it, so there's plenty of chunk. A couple of corny ballads, but you could easily skip them. Straight-ahead metal from the Great One.

15. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I heard one of the new Ozzy songs. It was a ballad-type number and the lyrics were utter cheese (as opposed to udder cheese.) But, hey, it's Ozzy, so he gets away with it. [​IMG]
    I'm still waiting for a comprehensive Ozzy retrospective. The Ozzman Cometh was a pathetic attempt at best. One CD + a bonus CD consisting of some Black Sabbath unreleased versions and a interview that is worth listening to once. It would be quite easy to make a 2 CD set of his best singles and album cuts + another disc of rarities, live tracks and collaborations. I've never picked up any of his regular albums, other than Live + Loud, which suffers from "double live album" syndrome.
    Do any of you Sabbath / Ozzy fans listen to Type O Negative? In my book, another band that will never get its due. Melodic songs, hard riffs and sometimes cheesy lyrics, but they never take themselves too seriously. Plus they do some great covers.

16. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'm going to see Ozzy/Rob Zombie this weekend. It's my first concert in a LONG time so I figured this would be a good one to get me going to concerts again.

I never actually owned any BS CDs, just Ozzy. What are some good ones I should listen to between now and Sunday so that I'm not TOTALLY clueless when I get there?

Mike

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ozzy will probably stick to his solo stuff, but the two most essential Black Sabbath albums I would say are Paranoid and Masters of Reality.

Ozzy sang w/ Sabbath on the following studio albums:

Black Sabbath- great debut

Paranoid- this one has all the Sabbath hits: Iron Man, Paranoid, War Pigs

Masters of Reality- a classic

Volume 4- good stuff

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath- one of my favorites

Sabotage- I never heard this one, but I plan on getting it

Technical Ecstacy- this one is supposedly bad

Never Say Die- ditto

18. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

19. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I got introduced to BS in 8th grade when I bought a 4 piece Ludwig kit and started hanging out "with the wrong crowd".

Still crank it up when I get that adolescent hair across my arse.... I was in BB yesterday getting very frustrated waiting in a long line to buy a Karaoke machine for my kid. Suddenly, the opening riff to Iron Man starts cranking from the CD area, and a smile cracked my lips. Then, just when I'm expecting Ozzy to belt out the intro, comes a raspy:

I am Santa Claus !!!!

Don't know who did this parody, but it was funnier than sh-t and made my day ! Suddenly the checkout line starts moving when I wanted to hang there and listen more !

Also - thanks to VH1 for informing me the first BS album cost less than $1k to record ! Those were the days. In y2k+1 the current bands spend more than 1k just to style their hair for publicity shots !

20. Sergio Martorelli

Sergio Martorelli Auditioning

I´m a big Sabbath fan, and it´s a crying shame that there are close to ZERO decent DVDs with the vintage Sabbath around.

Musikladen? Only 20 minutes of clips.

The Last Supper? TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT! A lot of interviews, but not a single complete music!

Ozzy - Live & Loud? Excellent, but a tease. They show a set list with "Iron Man" and "Fairies Wear Boots", supposedly to be performed by the classic formation of Sabbath, but all we got is their rendition of "Black Sabbath"!

Where are BLACK & BLUE and THE BLACK SABBATH STORY VOL. 1 & 2?

Oh, and by the way...