The Black Hole deep sub bass!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by andySu, May 11, 2006.

1. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Does anyone hear own Disney’s “The Black Hole” 1979, the image and sound is top for a film that is 27 years old, wow; the visual effects that accompany the films story are still pleasing to me.

The Six-Track Dolby Stereo mix, really rumbles and shakes with jolt! ”That mad man is heading straight for the black hole!?!” As the “U.S.S. Cygnus” sets coarse head on with a force of nature that not even light can escape from! Bass and sub bass from the three-screen channels is felt, and John Barry’s score is gripping.

The laser fire fight with the crew “Palomino” and the sentry robots, with friendly B.O.B. helping V.I.N.C.E.N.T. is cracking fun, the journey into the black hole towards the end, has swirling low end with a deeper lower octave placed underneath it, which grandly climbs higher and higher in pitch, great stuff.

This mix really comes close to the 70mm Six-Track Dolby Stereo road show event, I wished I had seen it in 70mm back in 1979, but I guess the 35mm Dolby Stereo optical twin track, at the time would have to suffice, still its great on DVD and having experienced several 70mm projected films, my instinct tells me this is a good transfer from the film elements.

Image 8/10

Sound 10/10

Overall 9/10

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I own this one but haven't gotten around to watching it...a bad habit I've picked up recently.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Yes, great effects, great sound and great MUSIC in this film. I remember buying the soundtrack when it came out in '79 and seeing the words "a digital recording" for the first time. An underrated release.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I love the music in this movie. It's just shy of being totally over the top...I especially loved the overture at the beginning of the old Anchor Bay disc.

Alright, I know what I'm going to try to find this weekend...

5. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

Is there a new release?

6. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Jason

Oh yes its got some depth in the percussion, and the use of the graphics works very well as the strings and swirl form side to side, I wonder what that would look like in 3-D!? Not saying they should remake the film in 3-D, I’ve seen that at “Space Mountain” and that was more trilling to say the least!

I have to say, I’m a bit ashamed have no John Barry scores on CD, but I do enjoy his scores, and his contemporary music which I have heard many times on “Classic FM” hear in the United Kingdom, and you can listen to this station via the internet.

When I get sorted out, I’ll have a look around for some of his scores, as well as some of the Bond scores which he has written.

7. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

David

Is there, well that will be news to me!?

8. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

The newest release is from Disney from Aug. 2004. Thankfully this replaced the Anchor Bay version(s), some of which had LFE errors if I recall correctly.

I agree about the music Jason-great score.

Only nitpick about the '04 version is the cover...tell me what's wrong with this picture:

[​IMG]

9. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

10. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Andrew

Yes that version is it not the same as the region 2 version, or has that version got a theatrical trailer?

11. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

12. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Woops-didn't realize we were talking about Region 2.

13. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Andrew

Hay I’m easy we can talk about the region 1 version if you what to, I think we should just have one region, this regional issue is a load of nonsense, bring back Laserdisc with more bite![​IMG] It’s not has if where talking about dodgy copies hear

14. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I heard that the original non-anamorphic release actually had a better picture than the newer annie release, yes?

15. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason

IIRC, the Cygnus is not orbiting anything in the movie...it is simply hanging in space.

God, gotta find this one now.

Plus, it looks like the black hole is a giant a**hole, doesn't it?

16. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

Jason

LMAO

Yeah now that you mentioned brought it up, yeah what was the graphic designer thinking when he or she deigned that pitiful cover!?[​IMG]

17. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Dave,

I don't have the Anchor Bay version anymore, but my guess is any difference in picture is not significant. I'm pretty sure I watched this on my 16:9 display when it came out, and was not disappointed.

18. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino

Yup. Absolutely. The new R1 Anamorphic release looks horrible compared to the previous non-anamorphic one. A rare instance to be sure.

19. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino

I still have both and imo the difference is startling. The "new" version is grainier, blurrier and just ugly to look at compared to the AB version.

Seriously.

20. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

I bet the film distributors are laughing there a** off[​IMG] why in the world would they purposely produce a naff version, knowing full well someone out there in the world is going to notice it, I bet they love it when we start threads like this one, well maybe me, no matter.

Thou my SONY is only 4:3, I’ve just selected the 16:9 ratio on the DVD player to see if my version is 16:9, yes it is, still I only have your word on the two versions to go by, but the image looks detailed with fine gain in the imaging, no completes.

I also believe there was no widescreen Laserdisc version ever produced, just a P&S butchered version![​IMG]