'The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant' DVD review with Screen Captures

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Jul 3, 2000
    We have a graphic review from Brook Kennon on DVDBeaver.com
    You may access it and the screen capturesHERE.
    What I saw of the picture looks to be free of the artifacts that plagued 'The Merchant of Four Seasons'. There is too much edge enhancement and even on my 32" set I could detect slight ringing. However in terms of color and detail the picture is very nice, a quantum leap from the VHS which is the only way I'd watched this previously.
    The mono track is fine like the other Wellspring discs, I didn't bother listening to the 5.1.
    As for extras, looks like Wellspring may be listening to some of it's criticism or just trying to deflect it. There's a blurb that states that all film elements were provided by the Fassbinder Foundation and all picture decisions and aspect ratio decisions were made by the FF.
    Surprise, surprise, this may be the first Wellspring/Winstar/Fox Lorber disc to have an insert. There is a very interesting liner essay titled "A Cinema of Vicious Circles" by Thomas Elsaesser of the University of Amsterdam, he's credited with writing "Fassbinder's Germany", "Weimar Cinema and After", "Metropolis", & "Studying Contemporary American Film"
    The documentary is what we've been waiting for "Fassbinder - 1977", 30m of interviews and behind the scenes footage of Fassbinder at work. I only watched 5m, but it was much more interesting than either of the Merchant docs.
    Fassbinders 1st 2 short films are included "The City Tramp" and "Little Chaos", both are B&W 16mm so neither looks great, but both very watch-able, maybe a bit better than the F/L disc of Les Mistons. Fassbinder looks very young in "Little Chaos"
    The commentary is by Jane Shattuc. Jane Shattuc is a film studies professor here at Emerson College, and her primary interests tend to be Fassbinder and women and popular culture/entertainment. She has written "Television, Tabloids, and Tears: Fassbinder and Popular Culture." May be too theoretical for my taste, but I only listened to 5-10m of it.
    All subs are removable.
    Looks like a good job from Wellspring so I can breath easier knowing they didn't screw up one of my favorites. The documentary looks very good and being able to see Fassbinder's first 2 films will be great. I hope that when someone else has time to make a closer inspection they don't discover artifacts or other nastiness I missed.
  2. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Jul 3, 1998
    Thanks Gary for all your recent reviews ('Bitter Tears', 'To Catch a Thief', 'Colonel Blimp', etc). In each case your review and screencaps helped me make up my mind about picking up the DVD (especially 'Bitter Tears' which hasn't been reviewed elsewhere on the web). Keep up the good work.