What's new

The Bitter Tea of General Yen (Frank Capra)- coming 8/1/2017 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
81Tg0SSkpCL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've never seen this before, but any Capra in HD is a good thing. I'll most likely pick it up at some point.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If I remember correctly, Capra in his autobiography wasn't too kind about it. He said he made it for the wrong reason: he wanted to win an Academy Award in the worst way so he made the kind of serious movie he thought would bring him the award. Neither it nor he was even nominated.

I'm not sure I've ever seen it. I certainly don't remember anything about it if I did see it decades ago on some local station. I need to rectify that!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a Capra fan but I have to agree that this is a terrific film! I have it on DVD but will upgrade if the reviews on the transfer are favorable. In an interview when asked about the film, Stanwyck responded: "That was one of the first ones with the color question, the Oriental and the white woman. That was long before its particular theme was acceptable, such as today. But in those days, Mr. Capra had quite a bit of trouble, because the women's clubs and things like that just didn't cotton to this fact of this white woman falling in love with this Chinese warlord. They didn't care for that. But I think he did it in great taste. I haven't seen it in I don't know how many years."

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am a Capra fan, and a big fan of this film. I remember seeing it for the first time in the late 80's at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland.
I had never even heard of it before the title splashed across the screen.
Count me in with the other's as a must buy.

artoff8598.jpg

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Bare bones or not, I'll be happy to pay close to this price for Bitter Tea. I just hope and pray that they continue to offer classic titles in HD. Fox discontinuing their Cinema Archives program was just tragic. I'd hoped to see a widescreen title or two like Story of Ruth, Esther and the King and Francis of Assisi from them one day. Still, $26 is pretty steep, but Amazon sometimes have the worst deals along with the best.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I try (not always successfully) to look at it like the law of averages. In the end, it all works out, or so I hope. On the one hand, $27 for a single feature likely without special features is more than I'd like to pay for a blind buy. On the other hand, earlier this year I got a Blu-ray blind buy triple feature with three John Wayne movies I ended up loving, and that was like $8 for the set. I make a lot of buys like that. So I just try to remember those more inexpensive purchases whenever there's a more expensive one that I'm contemplating. Getting good deals on most things makes it seem easier to spend a little more on rare occasions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks