What's new

The Bits CES report - will it ever come? (1 Viewer)

Bill Hunt

Insider
Yeah, it's partially my fault. I have, on occasion, been known to announce that we're working on something for the site... and then not been able to deliver. I'm certainly willing to admit that. It's not for lack of trying, or desire to get it done. It's just that our resources are limited, we have wives and families and other personal demands on our time, and there's just SO MUCH to cover... and so many trying to get us to cover ever more.

We have all the advantages, and disadvantages, of a small Internet publication at The Bits. Our readership has never been higher, and we've earned the respect and trust of the industry... but the bigger the site's become, the more work it takes to try to satisfy everyone. We do our level best but, sometimes, we just bite off more than we can chew.

There are also some days (all too many in recent months, sadly), when we're posting cover artwork for the umteenth version of the same film on disc, or struggling in vain to get some fresh out of college studio marketing flak to send us a review copy of a lousy film on disc before street date, that it's just really hard to muster the same kind of enthusiasm that we had in the early days. I'm not kidding when I say that a lot of the fun been leached out of the DVD business by the changes at the studios (and I know I'm not alone in feeling that way). And there are now hundreds of other web sites trying to out-scoop and out-do The Bits and everyone else, when back in the day, we were one of the first of but a small handful of places DVD enthusiasts could turn to for reliable information.

Still, I think anyone who's been with us from the start (way back in the early days of the DVD format) knows that we do our best to give it everything we have, and that we offer something unique that no other site or publication can... even if it's just our own particular insight, access, perspective, style, personality and/or enthusiasm for movies. We have our faults and our shortcomings at The Bits to be sure, but we've also made significant contributions to the DVD format over the years, I think, both within the industry and also just to people's all-around enjoyment of it. We plan to keep on doing that with DVD, and also with the new HD formats, as long as our hearts are still in it. There's a reason I named the site "Digital Bits" rather than "DVD Bits" all those years ago. It might have cost us some search engine traffic over time, but at least we're future proof.

Anyway, to those of you who are disappointed, sorry we haven't posted the CES report, or the ComicCon transcripts, or enough disc reviews, or whatever else you might wish that we'd do more or better. But rest assured, we'll keep our noses to the grindstone and keep plugging away at it. Next year will be our 10th anniversary at The Bits. Time sure flies when you're (mostly) having fun, doesn't it?

Best to all of you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks