What's new

Pre-Order The Birthday Party (1968) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
179489_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
About a year ago, I first saw the Pinter/Friedkin film The Birthday Party (1968) on Blu. Great movie. I had never heard of this prior to the relatively recent release.

Technical review:

Picture Quality - Superb! This is one of the best prints I've seen of a 1960's film. Amazing color as well.

Audio - honestly, not that great. Though I have excellent hearing, I couldn't make out the dialogue in certain cases; it wasn't that it was muffled, just that it wasn't clear. I understand there are probably limitations re: the source material given that this is such an old film. So, at the least they should have included subtitles - which are sadly missing from this release.

Story:

Excellent & very tense. Even though the action took place primarily in one location (a couple of rooms in the small boarding house) it was extremely well-done.

The Landlady's (Meg) constant attempts to ingratiate herself with both her husband and Stanley the boarder were sad, touching, and genuine. (For some reason, her character reminded me a lot of Edith Bunker on the TV sitcom All in the Family - thought obviously TBP pre-dated AITF by two years).

I intentionally went into the movie without knowing anything about the story. When the film opened, it looked like it was going to be a UK "kitchen sink" drama with a lot of dialogue re: people ruminating on their lot in life, etc. Like the much later Kenneth Branagh/Emma Thompson BBC TV production Look Back in Anger (1989), TBP was also based on a play.

However, the story immediately became more menacing & sinister when the two "mysterious strangers" came to the boardinghouse & started interacting with Stanley (Robert Shaw). It was obvious that he had done something in his past - that he was running away from...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks