What's new

The Birds: The Alfred Hitchcock Collection - colourized? (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I saw this film a long time ago. Probably no more than 10 years ago. I thought it was pretty good.
I've seen it around in stores lately and have been wanting to get it. I finally got it today and when I brought it home, my mom said that it was b&w in theaters and asked if it was colourized. I checked the back and it said colour.
is she right in thinking that it was b&w originally?
if it was colourized then I'm going to have to bring it back since colourization sucks and I won't have it in my collection.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
This has always been a colour film. I've never known it to be otherwise. Maybe your mom has it confused with PSYCHO which was black and white. Don't bring it back!

-Mike

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I think there is no need to ask because the process of colorization is so bad that you can tell it’s fake and not natural. That’s why it’s bad. If the process was so good that you could not tell, it wouldn’t be "that objectionable" to colorize a movie! I personally can tell that a movie is colorized from a mile.

By the way, haven’t they progressed in this era? What are the best colorized works to look at? Maybe it’s the stuff I see on TV that are badly colorized. I’m just curious of the technology, let’s not get into the art stuff debate!

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Colourization always looks funny because black and white films are lit and shot radically differently from colour films. No matter how good they get at it, it will still look funny.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Not only was THE BIRDS filmed in Technicolor in 1963, it looks truly fine on DVD. I was surprised at the saturation levels - I'd expected a faded print. Buy with confidence, especially at its new retail of twenty bucks ($15.00 at Wal-Mart or online).

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
It's funny, I swear sometimes that people's memories from before 1970 are in black & white :)

My neighbor swore up and down that the original series of Star Trek was B&W. I tried to convince him that maybe he just watched them on a B&W TV, but he was insistant. He says you can even tell they are colorized because the colors are too bright. *shrug*

But yeah, that's a GREAT release of The Birds. It's the movie that got me into Hitchcock. Little did I know that I would like a lot of his other stuff even more. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no!
i have seen a trailer of the new color 3 stooges shorts and they look just as bad as anything else that has been colored.
and it implies that more b&w material will be colored as well.

i just watched this but i cant remember what dvd this preview was on.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Find him a copy of "Inside Star Trek: The Real Story" by Justman and Solow - IIRC, they discuss how NBC insisted that Trek be a showcase color show to sell color TVs. Great book!

Rob T

Screenwriter

well I hadn't even opened yet when I posted the thread and I wanted to know before I decided on what to do.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Not everyone's -- I had a friend who WOULD NOT believe the first seasons of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie were in B&W!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks