The birds at a local pet shop won't leave me alone.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by StephenA, Jun 25, 2003.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Every time I go to this local pet shop, a bird will get on me and won't leave me alone. I just went a couple days ago and a lorikeet got on me for some reason and started screaming in my ear. I tried to put it back on the cage, but it wouldn't let me. It kept flying back on me. The time before that it was a Molluccan cockatoo who kept crawling all over me. Even the Amazons and African greys wouldn't leave me alone on numerous visits. I wonder why they do this. Maybe they smell my bluefront Amazon and budgies, but I don't think so.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hmmm, are your Amazon and/or budgies female? Do they produce pheremones when "in heat"? Perhaps this is what the other birds in the pet store are attacted to, or you look really hot as a bird? [​IMG] It's just you they flock to, not anybody else?

Jay

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have both male and female birds. When I'm in the bird room with other people, the birds still only come to me. My sister laughs at me because they don't even bother her. I hope the employees don't think I'm trying to steal the birds. I'm not the type to steal, though I do like some of the species of birds that won't leave me alone.

4. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

Stephen,

I know the feeling. My wife and I innocently went to a bird show to buy some toys for our B&G Macaw. Somehow or another a beautiful 6 month old Scarlet Macaw took to me and the rest of the story is history. Another cage and another bird in my home! [​IMG]

http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Gary, you're lucky to have those macaws. They are two of my favorite species of parrots, and I wish I had the money to get them. A couple other favorites of mine is the hyacinth macaw, electus(especially the female), the molluccan cockatoo, and the masked lovebird. My bluefront Amazon is ok, but he won't stop attacking my mom and pug Rosie. I'm the only one who can really handle him.

Mark, I kinda feel that they are holding a gun to my head trying to make me buy them. If I was rich, I probably would. My Amazon probably would get jealous though. He might not though, because I used to have a Congo African grey and an umbrella cockatoo. They bit my sister real bad when she was a toddler, so we got rid of them.

7. Gary Hensley

Thanks! I have always loved the Hyacinth and the Moullaccan myself. If I didn't have a B&G I would get a Cockatoo in a heartbeat. I can't believe how expensive Hyacinth's are though. Pretty bird but I think a Scarlet or Greenwing is much prettier due to the rainbow of colors.

8. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

You're welcome. I think the hyacinth macaw is expensive due to it being a rarer bird. It's going extinct in the wild.

Hopefully your macaws won't try to breed if they are of different sexes, but I'm sure you keep them seperated enough so they won't. I've read about scarlets and blue and golds mixing in magazines and books because they are so close genetically, and it can be hard to get rid of the offspring because alot of bird enthusiasts want pure strains. Mixing also happens among different types Amazons.

I think it's cool that twos birds can become best friends, even if they are of a different species. I've read about it and seen it. It's kind of like people and dogs.

9. MarkHastings

10. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

My Senegal and CAG will profess their undying devotion to anybody who will scratch their heads for them or offer them a piece of beef gristle.

[​IMG]

11. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Is it really that hard to get rid of mixed breed birds? What ever happened to just opening a window?

12. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

That's kind of like recommending a violin factory for unplanned cats, or an exotic restaurant for dogs.

13. Gary Hensley

Actually quite a few people like the Harlequin and Catalina Macaws that come from the cross-breeding. My scarlet is dna sexed female but we haven't got the B&G sexed yet. The B&G is only 1.5 year and the Scarlet is a little over 6 months now so neither is sexually mature yet. They really don't interact with one another at all so I am wondering if they are the same sex. Hoping they are so we don't have to worry about that in the future. Regardless they both have their own cages, stands, etc and we don't let them hang out together much and especially without watching them!

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Wow Gary! I'm jealous! Jinx and Pikko are beautiful birds! (The one photo of the two of 'em... I love how the light shines off of Pikko! Iridescent birdie!)

I wish I could have macaws, but two things stand in my way.

1. The cost.
    2. The wife.

My wife is afraid of birds that are larger than our cats. Both for her AND the cats. [​IMG]

She may let me get a smaller parrot eventually though, like an African Grey. [​IMG]

Stephen, sounds like a pheremone thing to me!!! [​IMG]

15. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

17. MarkHastings

18. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

19. MarkHastings

Actually, I think 100 is very atypical, but an Amazon Parrots average is 80 years.
    According to a bit of research: "Parrots - various species of parrots live from 40 to over 100 years."

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer