What's new

The Bionic Woman: Season 2 audio defect (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Hank E said:
FYI, at Target this morning I saw a "new low price" sticker of $14.99 for this set.
Naturally, the two Target stores anywhere near me say "limited stock" or "out of stock" when you check on the website (I might've bitten for $15 a set).

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Unbelieveable! The square pre-addressed, postage paid envelope that Universal SENT ME to return this defective disc just arrived in my mailbox. The P.O. has stamped it "Return to Sender: Moved and left no Address", plus a handwritten FOE, whatever that means... So, the PO Box address that Universal supplied on their envelope isn't valid anymore?? Plus, the envelope itself is stained with what I hope is a coffee stain covering most of it, and is beat all to hell.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Hank E said:
FYI, at Target this morning I saw a "new low price" sticker of $14.99 for this set.
Are you sure it was Season 2? My two closest Targets both had Season 1 temporarily marked down to $14.99, but neither has stocked S2 since its first week of release, after which it was pulled from their shelves due to the defects (My phone call to Target's corporate video buyer and the volume of returns on S2 prompted them to pull it).

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
Yes, S1 and S2 are on sale for 14.99. You can also verify this by checking the Target website but I don't believe it is available online. Got the last copy at my store in OR.

MattHR

Screenwriter
ElizM said:
Yes, S1 and S2 are on sale for 14.99. You can also verify this by checking the Target website but I don't believe it is available online. Got the last copy at my store in OR.
Did your copy of S2 have the corrected disc #4, or the original defective one? I'd be surprised to see Target restocking the title with the defective set from before. I was told Target would not carry the set with the "disclaimer" (about the defective audio) Universal had previously announced it would add to the packaging, before deciding to actually fix the episode with the worst defect. So I'm curious to know if they are selling the initial defective set for $14.99 (now that consumers can get a replacement disc by mail) as a means for Universal to sell off that old stock.

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
I don't know yet. It might be a while before I have a chance to watch it. Got some deadlines and travel in the two weeks ahead.

MattHR

Screenwriter
ElizM said:
I don't know yet. It might be a while before I have a chance to watch it. Got some deadlines and travel in the two weeks ahead.
Just pop in Disc #4 and check the first 10 minutes of "Deadly Ringer—Part I". If the dialogue is virtually inaudible and the music somewhat muffled during that sequence, it's the defective pressing (the 09:33 mark is the exact point at which the audio turns from defective to normal). If so, you'll at least be able to contact Universal to get the replacement disc so you'll be good-to-go when you're ready to start watching the eps.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
MattHR said:
Are you sure it was Season 2? My two closest Targets both had Season 1 temporarily marked down to $14.99, but neither has stocked S2 since its first week of release, after which it was pulled from their shelves due to the defects (My phone call to Target's corporate video buyer and the volume of returns on S2 prompted them to pull it).
Yes, it was season 2. I've seen it at this price in 2 stores in the Los Angeles area. They never got pulled from what I can tell because I'm at the store at least once a week and they've always been in stock. Also, season 1 is no longer stocked in the stores around me. They had it the first month or so after the initial release then they disappeared.

captgoodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russell
I can also confirm the Target price of $14.99 here in Indianapolis. I picked up S2 about 3 weeks ago as soon as I saw it. Unfortunately, it's still in the shrink wrap. I've been travelling and haven't had the opportunity to open it yet.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I just bought S2 at a Lexington, KY Target today and I think it contains the corrected disc 4. I didn't notice any problems with "Deadly Ringer", so I took the disc out and looked for any physical signs that might indicate if it was the re-pressing or not. What I noticed was the numbers stamped on the inner ring. Discs 1,2,3 and 5 each have a series of numbers followed by "R0" (2014841R0, 2014838R0, etc). My disc 4 says 2014840R1, which made me think the original disc probably was stamped 2014840R0, and the re-pressing had the R0 replaced with R1 to differentiate the two. Can anyone confirm (or deny) my theory? The episode sounds fine to me.

MattHR

Screenwriter
AndyMcKinney said:
I just bought S2 at a Lexington, KY Target today and I think it contains the corrected disc 4. I didn't notice any problems with "Deadly Ringer", so I took the disc out and looked for any physical signs that might indicate if it was the re-pressing or not. What I noticed was the numbers stamped on the inner ring. Discs 1,2,3 and 5 each have a series of numbers followed by "R0" (2014841R0, 2014838R0, etc). My disc 4 says 2014840R1, which made me think the original disc probably was stamped 2014840R0, and the re-pressing had the R0 replaced with R1 to differentiate the two. Can anyone confirm (or deny) my theory? The episode sounds fine to me.
Your theory matches my observations.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
RickER said:
No way to tell from the outside of the package if it is the corrected set, i assume?
I don't think so. There were a couple of stickers on the shrinkwrap: on the front side, one proclaiming the "bionic bonus features", and one on the back with a disclaimer about sound and visual quality. At least it appears you can tell from looking at disc 4 itself whether it's the improved one or not.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
The easy way to tell the replacement disc 4 is that it has "NOT RATED" in the line of logos under the spindle hole, where the original discs have the rated "14a" logo. Of course, you'd have to have an open package to tell.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
derosa said:
The easy way to tell the replacement disc 4 is that it has "NOT RATED" in the line of logos under the spindle hole, where the original discs have the rated "14a" logo. Of course, you'd have to have an open package to tell.
Just bought a copy today in a WNY area store- every disc in the set carries a 'Not Rated' and '14a' logo. The set also had the sticker on the back concerning the '...best available elements' disclaimer- however I can't hear any issue with the opening of Deadly Ringer part 1 and no discernible difference pre 9:33 or post. Happy to finally have this set on the shelf. I knew at some point I would be able to get it for under $24 (at least 40% off msrp being my usual cave-in price)- but $15 is close to a steal.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Paul_Scott said:
Just bought a copy today in a WNY area store- every disc in the set carries a 'Not Rated' and '14a' logo.
I just realized that my set may be different because it was printed in Canada. None of my discs have the "not rated" logo, but the replacement disc 4 that Universal mailed has the California address on the bottom, so obviously they are sending the corrected discs from the US, where it appears all your discs have that logo. Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks