What's new

The Bionic Woman: Season 2 audio defect (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Joseph Burns said:
Some minor quibbles with stuff upthread: The original Season 1 opening was used for the first 3 episodes, "Welcome Home, Jaime," "Welcome Home, Jaime, Part II" and "Angel of Mercy." The show had a short break at that point (Lindsay had been in a car accident) and when the show returned for "A Thing of the Past," the text "Second Bionic Replacement Complete" was removed and the sepia tone used for portions of the sequence was gone. Even then, the opening "data" was unusually dark for "A Thing of the Past," and this was fixed for the following ep, "Claws." This was the version used for the rest of the season.
...and don't forget, they corrected the opening's misspelling of 'Jaime' on the first three eps from its original 'Jamie'. So the version of the S1 opening on the DVD set (seen on all 14 eps) is one that was never previously shown anywhere in that form.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I watched the episode, "Beyond the Call" last night, and around the 10 minute mark when Jaime is on her wilderness survival mission, the dialogue becomes muffled while the sound effects are loud and clear. It's not as bad as "Deadly Ringer," but I still had to turn up the volume so I could hear.

mark40511

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Hmmm I watched Beyond the Call the other day too, but I never noticed a thing. That was probably my least favorite episode of season two actually. I also watched Dejon Caper. I couldn't believe how many jumping scenes were in that episode. The first one was up into his REAL apartment. Second one was out the window to fake death, then back up into the window. Then in the art gallery, up and down to replace the picture........Some episodes there were NO jumping scenes. Like Beyond the call. I was always FASCINATED with the jumping scenes. I noticed on Canyon of Death when she jumps up on the rock cliff to look for Paco, I could actually see the airbag!!!!! I had NEVER noticed that before. I wish they had cropped that out. It takes some of the magic away :(

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
mark40511 said:
I wish they had cropped that out. It takes some of the magic away :(
It's entirely possible the airbag was in the 'overscan' area on the original broadcast (and syndication), and when it was re-transferred for DVD from the original elements, it was now "extra" picture area (like with the Network remaster of Space: 1999 year one).

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
MBrousseau said:
I would like to ask this: How many of you from Canada have received already the corrected disc, after receiving the email saying that we don't need to send the defective one? I got the email from Deluxe on July 11th but still received no disc.
I'm still waiting for my replacement disc as well, and got the same e-mail from Deluxe as you on July 11.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The following piece of news regarding Universal's new Blu-ray release of Conan The Barbarian was posted today at thedigitalbits. Deja vu anyone? There appears to be an audio problem with Universal's new Conan the Barbarian Blu-ray. Essentially, the film's "remastered" 5.1 DTS-HD MA soundtrack is missing several pieces of choral music in Basil Poledouris' score and select instruments are apparently inaudible in the mix. It also appears there may be occasionally inaudible sound effects. And the disc doesn't include the original mono mix, so you've no other option. I've alerted Universal to this and am told that they're looking into it. Hopefully, they'll correct the problem and issue replacement discs, because this is the kind of thing that drives diehard fans of a film absolutely crazy. We'll let you know as soon as we hear more.

Davisito

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Tinley
Matt, Too bad that you and the guys who worked on Six Mill for Time Life weren't involved with Bionic Woman too. Seems like Universal needs some expert help when it comes to figuring out how to release their material. And, someone in the mastering department needs some more training! Maybe when the exclusivity for Six Mill ends for Time Life this fall, they could pick up Bionic Woman and do a proper, full series box set with great extras, and great picture and sound. Is there material that you know exists that would make great extras for a box set? Thanks.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MBrousseau said:
Thanks Todd! Could you and Joseph P.M. me as soon as it gets home to you?
I received my replacement disc today. I emailed them July 28th, and got the response on July 29th. The package I received today was stamped Aug 3rd, and was mailed from Universal Studios Scarborough office in Toronto.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Davisito said:
Matt, Too bad that you and the guys who worked on Six Mill for Time Life weren't involved with Bionic Woman too. Seems like Universal needs some expert help when it comes to figuring out how to release their material. And, someone in the mastering department needs some more training! Maybe when the exclusivity for Six Mill ends for Time Life this fall, they could pick up Bionic Woman and do a proper, full series box set with great extras, and great picture and sound. Is there material that you know exists that would make great extras for a box set? Thanks.
Hey Dave, Yes, we had tons of stuff collected for potential use as bonus material on the TimeLife SMDM set. Unfortunately, Universal nixed everything[/U ] we requested—with the exception of the few bits of the vintage Kenner Toy commercials edited into one of the featurettes. The hope was to include all the commercials in their entirety. The commercials were supplied by James Sherrard, who was a consultant on Universals's BW releases. It's really a bummer we weren't able to include any of the other material, as TimeLife was really excited about loading the set up as much as possible. But as I said, it was Uni's ultimate decision on what to allow. They just weren't interested in taking the effort to research, clear the rights, or pay for the inclusion of any of it. The good news is that some of it may still appear on the upcoming U.K. edition I mentioned in another thread. It's doubtful TimeLife (or anyone else) would re-release BW in a better form sometime down the road. The talent interview sessions for both SMDM and BW were recorded together, and then shared by both TimeLife and Uni for their respective releases (which is why there is some footage "overlap" between the sets). The SMDM interviews were much more extensive with very little editing from their original sessions, while BW's were tightly edited into one brief featurette for each season set. The full interview sessions pertaining exclusively to BW would be the only thing that could possibly be re-released later (but that's extremely unlikely). On the issue of the audio flaws on the BW:S2 set, I sure wish I had a chance to sample "The Return of Bigfoot—Part II" master while working on the SMDM last summer, as I most certainly would have noticed the audio flaws on that episode—and possibly had them addressed at that time. When the set was released in November, I notified Universal immediately about the problem with the audio on "RoB2"—knowing they would be releasing it as part of their own BW:S2 set six months later. My hope was that they'd at least fix it for that release. Unfortunately, it was not only not fixed, but several other episodes had the same or worse flaws! Well, I tried.

Davisito

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Tinley
Hi Matt, Thanks for replying. It would have been great to see all of the material you guys collected for SMDM on that set. I have to say that these 2 shows were my absolute favorites growing up, and the SMDM set, as it is, is far beyond what I was hoping for as a fan. Between the information in the liner notes and the featurettes, I think all of my questions about the production process were answered. I have had the best time going through that set season by season. The BW sets have been good to have too despite the audio flaws and the replacement of the original openings on the S1 set (couldn't they see that big piece of grain or dirt on Jaime's tooth?!) I guess I still don't understand why they would go to the trouble of replacing all of those openings. Was that done for the syndication versions? I have another question that you may know the answer to. The SciFi Channel had both series on in the 90's but the eps were edited to fit in their time slot. Would those edits have been done by SciFi themselves? Did they use the original, uncut versions, or did they edit from the syndication versions? I'm assuming the syndication versions were already edited. Thanks.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Davisito said:
Thanks for replying. It would have been great to see all of the material you guys collected for SMDM on that set. I have to say that these 2 shows were my absolute favorites growing up, and the SMDM set, as it is, is far beyond what I was hoping for as a fan. Between the information in the liner notes and the featurettes, I think all of my questions about the production process were answered. I have had the best time going through that set season by season.
In case it wasn't obvious, the shows were also my favorites growing up in the 70s. I assume you must have The Bionic Book by Herbie J Pilato that was published a few years ago. I was a contributor to that book (along with Brendan Slattery who, like me, wrote some of the liner notes for the SMDM DVD set). Between the book and the DVD sets, just about ever piece of bionic information is covered in depth.
The BW sets have been good to have too despite the audio flaws and the replacement of the original openings on the S1 set (couldn't they see that big piece of grain or dirt on Jaime's tooth?!) I guess I still don't understand why they would go to the trouble of replacing all of those openings. Was that done for the syndication versions?
The changes were made for the recent R1 DVDs, not for syndication. I don't believe Universal's intent was to replace the opening for BW:S1. I think they simply wanted to correct the misspelling of "Jaime" on the first three episodes' text, without realizing there were two other visual characteristics exclusive to those first three episodes ("Second Bionic Replacement Complete" text and sepia-toned footage). At least the original audio tracks for the episodes were left intact, as the theme changed beginning with the third episode. That piece of film dirt on Jaime's tooth has always bugged fans. The process of adding titles (known as "supers") required the film to be double-exposed during an optical procedure that caused the sequence to become "softer" in appearance, while potentially introducing very visible flecks of dirt and debris on the resulting composite print. Any imperfections were likely not noticed until final prints were made, at which point it may have been too late/too expensive to re-do them.
I have another question that you may know the answer to. The SciFi Channel had both series on in the 90's but the eps were edited to fit in their time slot. Would those edits have been done by SciFi themselves? Did they use the original, uncut versions, or did they edit from the syndication versions? I'm assuming the syndication versions were already edited.
Sci-Fi Channel did their own editing in-house, working from the uncut masters of the time. The previous syndication prints of the late 70s/early 80s were actual 16mm reels shared by the local affiliate stations. Those stations would often apply their own edits to those reels, resulting in severely spiced episodes after the trims were restored. I have several off-the-air recordings from that era, and the prints are very beat up, although they have a much more "film-like" appearance than the video-edited Sci-Fi versions.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MattHR said:
Hey Dave, Yes, we had tons of stuff collected for potential use as bonus material on the TimeLife SMDM set. Unfortunately, Universal nixed everything[/U ] we requested—with the exception of the few bits of the vintage Kenner Toy commercials edited into one of the featurettes. The hope was to include all the commercials in their entirety. The commercials were supplied by James Sherrard, who was a consultant on Universals's BW releases. It's really a bummer we weren't able to include any of the other material, as TimeLife was really excited about loading the set up as much as possible. But as I said, it was Uni's ultimate decision on what to allow. They just weren't interested in taking the effort to research, clear the rights, or pay for the inclusion of any of it. The good news is that some of it may still appear on the upcoming U.K. edition I mentioned in another thread. It's doubtful TimeLife (or anyone else) would re-release BW in a better form sometime down the road. The talent interview sessions for both SMDM and BW were recorded together, and then shared by both TimeLife and Uni for their respective releases (which is why there is some footage "overlap" between the sets). The SMDM interviews were much more extensive with very little editing from their original sessions, while BW's were tightly edited into one brief featurette for each season set. The full interview sessions pertaining exclusively to BW would be the only thing that could possibly be re-released later (but that's extremely unlikely). On the issue of the audio flaws on the BW:S2 set, I sure wish I had a chance to sample "The Return of Bigfoot—Part II" master while working on the SMDM last summer, as I most certainly would have noticed the audio flaws on that episode—and possibly had them addressed at that time. When the set was released in November, I notified Universal immediately about the problem with the audio on "RoB2"—knowing they would be releasing it as part of their own BW:S2 set six months later. My hope was that they'd at least fix it for that release. Unfortunately, it was not only not fixed, but several other episodes had the same or worse flaws! Well, I tried.
By commercials, do you mean Kenner toy commercials or what? I would be curious to know what potential extras are out there.

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
derosa said:
I received my replacement disc today. I emailed them July 28th, and got the response on July 29th. The package I received today was stamped Aug 3rd, and was mailed from Universal Studios Scarborough office in Toronto.
I just got mine, too! Thanks again, Grant! :) It's just sad they didn't even tried to correct audio from Doomsday is Tomorrow part II, on the same disc. :(

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
My replacement disc arrived in the mail today and was also mailed out on August 3 from Universal Studios Canada in Toronto. :)

MattHR

Screenwriter
My replacement disc arrived much quicker than expected. I mailed the old one on 8/9 and received the new one on 8/17. It's still unbelievable they didn't correct the audio flaws on the other episodes on that same disc.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
MattHR said:
It's still unbelievable they didn't correct the audio flaws on the other episodes on that same disc.
I'd use a slightly different word than "unbelievable"... but there might be children reading :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks