What's new

The Big Lebowski: CE - 10.18.05 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
DavisDVD is confirming the lackluster Gift Set extras:
Meh. I'm not so hot on the Gift Set anymore. What a ripoff.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
If you bought playing cards, coasters, and a shammy towel together normally, you probably wouldn't pay over $10 total. No way in hell I'm paying close to $50 just because the words "The Big Lebowski" might be printed on them somewhere. I'm definitely passing on the gift set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Unless this comes packaged in a giant bowling ball than screw this ridiculosu box set. The packaging would have to be really f***in' amazing to make me want to spend $40 on a washcloth and coasters.

Does anyone ever actually use this cheesy stuff? Big Lebowski coasters?

:rolleyes

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis

The Dude abides...
Even if I'm a big "Big Leboswki", I will not spend $40 on the GiftSet... This GiftSet will not be in my hands...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So the giftset will have an exclusive bonus disc, like Scarface and ET? Or am I misinformed

At risk of sounding whiny - here comes a long rant - I've grown tired of these giftsets as well, bonus disc or not: cheesy, cheap collectibles, and it takes up more space on the shelf. That Fargo snowglobe was a very creative idea, and the Lord of the Rings boxes had amazing collectibles. I guess ET had a nice book. But has there been anything really cool other than that? I can't think of any (though I'm sure there are very few)
A couple years ago, Universal came out with VHS re-releases of American Graffiti, Animal House and Caddyshack. Am. Graf. and Animal House had those weird-shaped CDs with a few tracks on them and Caddyshack had a golf towel - those were nice extras, and you didn't even have to pay extra for them.

And as cool as The Big Lebowski is, it'd be pretty dorky to be using Lebowski playing cards, just like it'd be sad to carry around a Scarface DVD money clip - IMO.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I figured that this had to be coming eventually, so I have held off buying the original release.

I'm all over this one!

:emoji_thumbsup:

MatS

Screenwriter

Source: VB

-Digitally Remasterd Picture
-Loaded with new bonus features
-An exclusive introduction to the film featuring Mortimer Young, written and directed by the Coen Brothers
-30 minute making of The Big Lebowski, including interviews with the Coen Brothers

damn I almost hate this as much as I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!

weak

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
That 30-minute "making-of" is probably the one from the old disc. I hope everything from the old one is included, I don't wanna have to keep it in addition to the new one. It'll be nice to see Mortimer Young again, although it would be nice to have another Kenneth Loring commentary, too. "You Know For Kids" has menu shots, looks like one of the new bonus features is Jeff Bridges' photography:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I don't see any reason to upgrade my old disc at all. Universal drops the ball once again! That company is amazingly bad at producing DVDs.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

Well, if the details are correct and the new edition sports a new transfer, I see every reason to upgrade.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Just remember which studio we're talking about. When Universal says "Digitally Remastered", I wouldn't put any faith in it until you see a review.

Personally, I don't upgrade DVDs for picture quality unless the old one was unwatchable and that's far from being the case with the title (IMHO)

MatS

Screenwriter
looking at the pic of the box and contents for the limited edition gift set
comes in a boxset like longbox yellow/wood bowling alley floor with the words 'The Big Lebowski' a pic of a bowling ball above it with a small relection of The Dude and Madge in it, words 'Achiever's Edition' at the top

yellow bowling towel with the words The Big Lebowski in black from what I can see
4 collectible coasters featuring your favorite characters
the one pictured is orange with a pic of The Dude on the left and "HEY CAREFUL MAN......" in big white letters
something else printed in a text box below it
8 exclusive postcards from Jeff Bridges' photography collection taken on the set

sorry but this doesn't look to be anything special considering the endless possibilities of what could have been done

and I agree the current version is far from being unwatchable

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, does anyone know what the "Loaded With Bonus Features" indicates other than just what's indicated on the menu screen? Wasn't there supposed to be something on the Los Angeles Lebowskifest with Jeff Bridges?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks