What's new

Press Release The Big Knife (1955) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder. See Post #10! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Amazon are right to say this film has a remarkable cast but they are wrong not to mention Wendell Corey, whose performance as Smiley so brilliantly off-sets the flamboyant over-playing of Rod Steiger. (I emphasise, as did Orson Welles, that over-playing is not the same as ham acting. Steiger's performance is really quite something)

I will, of course, be buying this disc.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'll be buying this disc too. Terrific performances.
Wow! I wasn't aware of this release. Ida Lupino always looks great in blu! :thumbsup:

Would this be considered an RCR, Robert? It's a Rodney Recommendation, that's for sure!
Pre-ordered using the link above.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wow! I wasn't aware of this release. Ida Lupino always looks great in blu! :thumbsup:

Would this be considered an RCR, Robert? It's a Rodney Recommendation, that's for sure!
Pre-ordered using the link above.
If you loved "Feud" that details the Bette Davis and Joan Crawford feud then you'll love this Robert Aldrich directed film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Good movie, but it's gonna hafta come way-y down in price prior to the release date if I'm going to upgrade my (admittedly not great) DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Wow! I must have been asleep when they announced this as coming! Finally to see it in its original aspect ratio instead of the old full frame DVD! Superb film.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
According to the DVD Beaver review, the new Arrow blu ray of Robert Aldrich's The Big Knife is missing a scene over a minute long. Everett Sloane's speech on the couch about money. Fans of the film (like me) may want to hold off in the hopes Arrow rectifies this error before purchasing. The missing scene is included on the old MGM DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's too late for me as my copy shipped from Amazon UK. I know the scene you're talking about and how does Arrow miss such a crucial segment?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, I was really looking forward to this one but now I have cancelled my order. I am hoping they postpone the US release and fix the issue before setting a new release date. Disappointing but I would rather wait.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, I was really looking forward to this one but now I have cancelled my order. I am hoping they postpone the US release and fix the issue before setting a new release date. Disappointing but I would rather wait.
Unbeknownst to me, my Amazon UK disc was sitting on my porch since yesterday afternoon. It took only six days for it to be delivered to me in Michigan which is the fastest delivery I ever received from Amazon UK. The box was over two feet long with only this disc in it. I found it this morning when I open the door for my Sunday paper.

As to the disc itself, I spent almost my entire afternoon with it and the MGM dvd disc. I first watched the Blu-ray in its entirety. It's by far the best it ever looked from my previous viewings of this film. The film length of the Blu-ray was 112 minutes and 20 seconds. That confused me because I always believed the length of the film was 111 minutes. Sure enough, I researched at least six different film books I have and all of them listed the length as 111 minutes. I then looked it up on AFI's site and they have the length as 110-11 minutes or 120 minutes. Something tells me this film was further edited to 111 minutes before its general release to the theaters back in 1955. Other movies sites have the length of the film as 111 minutes too.

I then played the MGM DVD disc and it was 113 minutes and 57 seconds in length. I then played the scene that was cut in question and I started having a vague memory of never seeing that cut sequence on previous TV viewings before watching that 2002 DVD release several years ago. For the next 15-20 minutes, I kept playing that scene with the cut sequence on the Blu-ray then back to DVD disc with that sequence intact, over and over again. I must have done it more than a half dozen times. Judging by the significance of the actual words spoken in that cut sequence by Palance and Sloane, I'm wondering out loud if that cut sequence was mistakenly added to that DVD???? IMO, the missing cut doesn't really affect that crucial scene for me. I just don't know for sure. What I do know is the length of the Blu-ray is 112 minutes and 20 seconds while just about every source I access says the film is suppose to be 111 minutes. It's going to be interesting to see how Arrow responds to this issue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Was there ever a response from Arrow about the missing scene?
DVDBeaver never published a response from Arrow even though they say they would which probably means they haven't received any. I already stated my opinion earlier in this thread so I won't rehash my comments.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DVDBeaver never published a response from Arrow even though they say they would which probably means they haven't received any. I already stated my opinion earlier in this thread so I won't rehash my comments.
Thanks, Crawdaddy, for pointing me in the right direction. I found this on DVDBeaver's Twitter feed:

DVDBeaver‏ @DVDBeaver
"We can now confirm that there will be a disc replacement programme on The Big Knife Blu-ray and will publish details on Facebook ...."

10:39 AM - 29 Sep 2017

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not a Facebook member, so wondering if anyone knows if there is any new information about the disc replacement programme?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks