What's new

The BIg House-Is anyone else having problems with this DVD (1 Viewer)

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my copy of the revised newly issued triple feature version of The Big House which I purchased from Warner Archives. The quality of the print is vastly improved from the version I purchased 5 years ago. The Big House is one of the great early talkies! Unfortunately, near the end of the English language version at the 86 min. 44 sec. mark the DVD simply freezes, so one cannot see the end of the film. I have closely examined the DVD and see no scratches or signs of damage. That makes me wonder whether the problem is simply a defective disc which can be replaced or whether there was some mistake made in the transfer and that the DVD will need to be redone. Something similar happened a couple of years ago with the Bobby Jones golf DVD and eveyone had to wait about 6 months before WA was able to get the problem corrected. After having waited almost 5 years to finaly get a decent print of The Big House, I hope that this is not a systemic problem. Has anyone else exprienced a similar problem with this DVD?

Jim Bur

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I won't buy this disc until it goes on sale, but if I was you, I'll ask for a replacement now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Explain the problem in an e-mail, and you'll get a replacement with no questions asked if they do as they've done with me on the two defective discs I've gotten from them over the years.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, they're pretty fast with replacements. While defects are rare, they do happen. Since you just bought it, getting a new disc should be easy. Just email or PM them on Facebook and give them your order # as proof of purchase.

Regarding what you said about the Bobby Jones set, I'm completely baffled. I bought that set on the day it came out and I had no problems with the disc at all. What was wrong with it?

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator
JoHud said:
Yeah, they're pretty fast with replacements. While defects are rare, they do happen. Since you just bought it, getting a new disc should be easy. Just email or PM them on Facebook and give them your order # as proof of purchase.

Regarding what you said about the Bobby Jones set, I'm completely baffled. I bought that set on the day it came out and I had no problems with the disc at all. What was wrong with it?
Thanks for your reply Jo. With regard to the Bobby Jones set of shorts, did you buy it the on the day it came out the first time or on the first day the corrected DVD was re-issued? if I recall the date accurately it was first issued back around early summer of 2012, and I ordered it right away. It had a problem with freezing similar to the problem I'm having with "The Big House", with the difference it occurred much earlier in the DVD (starting with the second or third short in the set) I notified customer service and utimately was advised that they could not replace it because they were no longer selling it, so they could only give me a refund. At the same time I noted that WA had stopped advertising it for sale on their site. My understanding is that they withdrew the DVD because the flaw was some sort of systemic problem with the transfer that needed to be corrected. I think it was around 5 or 6 months later in late 2012 or beginning of 2013 they finally put if up for sale a second time and I again purchased it and had no problems at all. The reason for my initial post was that I was curious to find out if I was encountering a similar scenario with "The Big House". I thought if someone replied they were having a similar problems I could let Warner's customer service know that the problem might be systemic so that they could notify the right people to start the ball rolling on getting the problem fixed. I will take the wise advice that you and the other posters have given to notify WA customer service right away of the problem. No doubt I will find out when I receive the replacement disc whether or not the problem is a systemic issue. As a footnote let me add that I am wondering if it is possible that the reason for the problem is that they ran out of space. Both the English language version and French version (which is longer) are on the same side of one disc. Could the fact that the English language version freezes near the end suggest that that they had simply run out of disc space?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I bought the Bobby Jones set the day it was released and never had any issues with it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Jim Bur said:
Thanks for your reply Jo. With regard to the Bobby Jones set of shorts, did you buy it the on the day it came out the first time or on the first day the corrected DVD was re-issued? if I recall the date accurately it was first issued back around early summer of 2012, and I ordered it right away. It had a problem with freezing similar to the problem I'm having with "The Big House", with the difference it occurred much earlier in the DVD (starting with the second or third short in the set) I notified customer service and utimately was advised that they could not replace it because they were no longer selling it, so they could only give me a refund. At the same time I noted that WA had stopped advertising it for sale on their site. My understanding is that they withdrew the DVD because the flaw was some sort of systemic problem with the transfer that needed to be corrected. I think it was around 5 or 6 months later in late 2012 or beginning of 2013 they finally put if up for sale a second time and I again purchased it and had no problems at all. The reason for my initial post was that I was curious to find out if I was encountering a similar scenario with "The Big House". I thought if someone replied they were having a similar problems I could let Warner's customer service know that the problem might be systemic so that they could notify the right people to start the ball rolling on getting the problem fixed. I will take the wise advice that you and the other posters have given to notify WA customer service right away of the problem. No doubt I will find out when I receive the replacement disc whether or not the problem is a systemic issue. As a footnote let me add that I am wondering if it is possible that the reason for the problem is that they ran out of space. Both the English language version and French version (which is longer) are on the same side of one disc. Could the fact that the English language version freezes near the end suggest that that they had simply run out of disc space?
I don't think that after producing thousands of MODs the past five years that Warner's nor there their replicates would a mistake of running out of room. I also got the Bobby Jones set the day it was first put on sale and did not have a problem. I never heard they recalled the set or took it down from the web. You just got a bad disk. It happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks