What's new

The Big Debate: Madden 2004 or Sega's ESPN Football 2004? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
To resurrect this thread...
whwt do people think,in terms of comparisons of Madden to ESPN - especially those who've played both.

My opinion is that ESPN is far better. The presentation, graphics, sound, and gameplay exceed EA's effort this year.

In Madden, I really liked the new Playmaker controls. However, Sega's First Person Football option is a far more unique feature.

The running game in ESPN is better, too. And now that they've "fixed" the dropped passes problem, the passing game is pretty good too, although I do like the passing game of Madden slightly more...partly due to playmaker controls.

Graphics-wise, even without 720p, ESPN beats madden to pieces. The presentation is also far better.

Anyone who never liked the 2K series, or anyone who has tired of the Not-Really-Updated yearly updates of the Madden series owes it to themselves to at least rent this game and decide for yourself whether it's better than Madden or not.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I bought an Xbox primarily for sports games. PC gaming is the best in general, but when it comes to sports, PC's suck. Performance, bugs, and the lack of a communal surrounding makes PC sports lame. Console gaming for sports facilitates a nice video game party where all four people play at once, seated comfortably on the sofa.

That said, my opinion is based on the Xbox console.

I have never been a fan of EA sports. Their code base is ancient and quite honestly, it shows. So except for Fifa soccer, I stay away from purchasing EA. However I have rented for evaluation purposes. While Madden offers a lot of bells and whistles, the playability of their football game itself, is lacking.

Fever I bought when it first came out. I was impressed with the smoothness of gameplay and the tight controls. Compared to EA and Sega, it was the superior choice. The next round to come out, I went with Fever again. In hindsight, I should have gone with 2K3, but I made my choice and stuck with it.

Now we have the latest round. EA, once again, enhancing their code base but not doing what they really need to do... throw it out and start anew. They've added a lot more bells and whistles (the owner mode was a neat touch), however the basic football game is the same. The same droll commentary, the same Ps2 limiting graphics. Fever took the "it's not broken, don't fix it" approach, which really makes it not much different than the original... except for read and lead passing. What started out fast in the starting gate has faltered to last place.

Which brings me to Sega. WOW!!! I was floored last night when playing it. The presentation is the best I have ever seen on ANY sports game. Pre game, mid-game, post-game and post week wrap-ups are really cool. The commentary, the best I've heard. The controls tight, animation smooth, the game... immersive. That alone is worth the purchase but they added first person football. When I first read about it, I was not that thrilled. But after playing it, it's almost a different game. Running plays were a lot of fun. I will be going back and forth between modes on this one. Couple all this with DD 5.1 and 720P support (well, 480P) and you have a no-brainer purchase for xbox football fans. It's no wonder every review I read gave it either a 9.3 or 9.4. Highly recommended. A true football sim.

NickC

Second Unit
Did they fix the problem with ESPN/SEGA football where you could charge your player up and leap 10 yards with a 300lb lineman and get a sack just about everyplay?

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
^^ I played it twice so far and haven't gotten to all the nuances yet. I haven't had a chance to really figure out the bugs. I used the charge up only a couple of time for shoulder charges but haven't been able to do much more with it. I only played 2K3 a couple of times before as well (when I was just comparing) and never encountered that issue.

For those who have a more in depth knowledge of past issues, I recommend renting the game at least, so you can address them and make your own experiments and conclusions.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Madden for me. I thought that Madden 2003 was the best football game I have ever played. Now for the rest of EA'S sports titles, I will pass on them all, but Madden still rules in the football world
I have to eat my words. I played ESPN'S 2004 at my local game store and was absolutely hooked! I bought a copy right then and there and have not stopped playing since. If you like real football and are interested in real football gameplay and an absolute stunning presentation then ESPN is the ONLY way to go. And I am definately not biased, I have been a Madden fan for 10+ years and swore by Madden.Not anymore. ESPN has got the sports games nailed!:b

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, was wary that first person football was a gimmick. However, after playing for a half in that mode, I recommend it enthusiastically. It is a whole different take on football. When I play in the normal mode, I think more about strategy and picking plays. In first person mode, I think about not getting my butt stomped. To me, it feels aggressive and violent, and there is a sense of efficacy and immediacy that I have not experienced in videogame football before.

I'll still probably play most of my games (especially league games) from the standard perspective, but for a rush of adrenaline, first person is a great option.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, first person is pretty cool, it is a totally different aspect on football. I don't play in that mode that often though. But once in awhile I switch it to that mode for some fun.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
well, I just gotta admonish ESPN for their box presentation....

I held out for it, wanting it badly over Madden since I loved NFL2k3.....They had one of the most in-depth franchise modes available....I was a tried and true NFL2k series fan....

Boy, was I disappointed....Not one word on the package about franchise mode....I wasnt even sure they retained it...So, I opted for Madden....I have been thrilled with how in-depth the sim & owner mode is this year....Beats NFL2k3's by a country mile for realism and fun....I suppose it lashes ESPN by even further since they opted to forego advertising the franchise mode and concentrated on an EA staple - unlockables....

I guess if you cant beat 'em, join 'em....

Too bad for ESPN, good for me....I am enjoying a great game and as a former anti-EA, anti-Madden convert, I am sort of wishing I did it sooner than I did...Instead, I kept holding onto the failing Sega name like I did with the Saturn & Genesis....Fool me once...

I firmly believe Sega is a brand without a vision anymore - they just cant keep seeing something thru without trying to reinvent the product constantly....Most of the time - this time included, IMO - its for the worse....

I was wondering if this thread would rear it's ugly head again. Now that I have actually played the new ESPN NFL Football (NFL2K4) game for the XBox, I can give my "opinion" of how the game compares to Madden 2004.

First, let me say this. Gameplay will always win me over. I don't care how pretty the graphics look. I don’t care about halftime presentations. I don’t care about gimmicks, recognizable faces, or even cheerleaders with bouncing boobs. I don’t care if the presentation reminds me of Sunday Night Football or Monday Night Football for that matter. What I care about is great gameplay.

After playing ESPN NFL Football for a few days, I can say that without ONE doubt in my mind, MADDEN 2004 has better gameplay!

Now before you Sega fans start typing messages, read this… I think ESPN NFL Football beats Madden 2004 graphically and has better presentation. LOL! :D Graphically, NFL2K4 beats Madden 2K4 in virtually every area. Everything has been improved from last year’s game. Player models, cheerleaders, sidelines, fans, stadiums, and fields all look better than they did in 2K3. When comparing player models, I would have to give a very slight edge to NFL2K4 graphically. Madden has somewhat of a “cartoonish” look when compared to 2K4. Player faces look better in NFL2K4, but I don’t see faces when playing the game. Categorically, I can say that both games offer great graphics, and in my opinion, I can’t say that I would be disappointed with either one.

As for presentation, EA could learn a thing or two from Sega. Some of the cut scenes are little more interesting in 2K4. From the players on the sidelines, to the fans in the stands, NFL2K4’s presentation is a little better. Also, you can see the influence that NFL Fever has had on NFL2K4. Quite frankly, for a second I thought Sega had ripped MS off. LOL. Maybe EA should try it. :D

Ultimately for me, my experience with NFL2K4 was like having a pretty girlfriend that’s not too bright. “Yeah, she’s beautiful on the surface, but she’s an airhead when she opens her mouth.” I found the gameplay to be a step or two behind Madden. Not once did I get a feeling of wanting to play multiple games in one session. The gameplay in NFL2K4 reminded me so much of NFL Fever. It was easy to pick up, but I just like Madden’s gameplay better. One thing that still holds true… I never felt in control of my defense like I do while playing Madden. I really think that Sega should move some of the Defensive commands to other buttons to make things more seamless. Choosing coverages for LB’s and DB’s could use some work. I can’t press a button and move the joystick with the same thumb at once, Sega!

On offense, Madden still rules in my book. I feel challenged when I play it. It’s fun to me. I never really got the same feeling with NFL2K4 as I do with Madden. Even after trying the First Person Football mode, or playing on the hardest level. I just don’t feel the need to run out and buy the game. Overall, I like all of the intricacies of Madden the most. It’s franchise mode and gameplay are far deeper than this year’s version of Sega’s flagship. Sega is catching up, but they have not knocked the King of Football games from the top yet. In a few years... Maybe.

Peace!

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Boy, was I disappointed....Not one word on the package about franchise mode....I wasnt even sure they retained it...So, I opted for Madden.
So, you got Madden without trying ESPN just because the package didn't say anything about Franchise mode? (By the way, it is included...)

You are completely entitled to your opinion, of course...and Madden is a great game. But if you haven't TRIED ESPN Football, please, don't believe for a second that it's the same game as 2K3, because it's not nearly the same. And there are tons of unlockables in Sega's game, too.

Also, I believe it's a mistake to connect the SEGA of today (a software company) with the SEGA of yesteryear which tried to compete in the hardware market.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Having both games since they were out, I'll say ESPN is the best overall game. Graphically and commentary wise along with presentation, ESPN is years ahead of Madden. The main thing, the gameplay, feels better to me in ESPN, but also the presentation and graphics in ESPN suck me into the gameday mood. Both games do a great job replicating NFL football, but I find ESPN's problems to be less aggravating then madden's. Yes ESPN could expand zone coverage, improve the pursuit angles, make the cpu miss FG's, and tone down the cpu break tackles... and blocking...but the same things that have bothered me in Madden are not addressed for years, like mario running and commentary. That just makes you wonder how much effort is EA really putting in. Sega squashed almost all flaws from the previous iteriation, while EA is taking baby steps.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I also have both games and I keep coming back to Madden. I wanted to like ESPN's game this year - especially after I fell in love with 2k3. The truth is, Madden is more fun and more realistic in my book.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Having rented all three, two of us came to this brief concensus.

NFL Fever is trailing. A decent game if you were stuck on an island but with the alternatives available it isn't worth the investment. A decent effort however and hopefully (next time), M$ will take note on the mistakes.

Give it a 7.4

Madden 2004 is better than 2003 and it's better than 2002 (etc). In other words, the best Madden out there. If you bought this game you have a SOLID football game and I don't suggest you run out and buy anything else. It will entertain you.

Give it a 9.1

ESPN (NFL 2K4) has some cool touches. Yes they could improve on a couple of items (I started listing some minor items but they are very minor and will definitely be refined next year) and they have totally fixed a whack of problems. Although I stated earlier if you have 2K3 or Madden 2003 you don't need this game... I take that back.

If I had Madden 2004 I wouldn't buy this. If I had this, I wouldn't buy Madden 2004.

This game is a solid 9.3 in our books.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
Also, I believe it's a mistake to connect the SEGA of today (a software company) with the SEGA of yesteryear which tried to compete in the hardware market.
Maybe, but you can only chase mad money so often....I have a wife and kids and my gaming money is *very* limited...I got burned twice, I hate to have it happen again....So I am catious of them....With this reversal, even moreso...

Brandon_S

Second Unit
With the great tool that the Internet is at your disposal, it doesn't make sense to not buy a product based on what is listed on the box. A quick trip to Sega's webpage would have enlightened you on its Franchise mode.

That being said, Madden probably does have the deeper Franchise mode. However, how the game plays on the field is what matters most to me. ESPN's franchise mode has improved greatly over the years and IMHO it's gameplay is lightyears ahead of Madden. When I play Madden I just don't get that NFL atmosphere feeling. When I play ESPN, I feel like I am at an NFL game. The atmosphere and gameplay in VC's game is unmatched in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks