What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For me, any time we have the release of a new well-produced Blu-ray of a William Wyler film, it's a time to pause and celebrate.

And his 1958, The Big Country, is one such cause for celebration.

But we'll up the ante.

Gregory Peck

Jean Simmons

Carrol Baker

Charlton Heston

Burl Ives

Charles Bickford

A momentous score by Jerome Moross

Cinematography in Technirama by Franz Planer

No reason to go further.

The Big Country is one of the greatest westerns ever created.

One more important point.

The de-anamorphosis problem in the original Blu-ray has been fixed. Color and density ride a bit better.

Only negative are some dissolves that don't work properly. But that's a tiny negative, among a world of positives.

A great release from Kino, that should be in every serious collection.

Image - 4.6

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark VH

Second Unit
Very exciting news! Good to know my decision to jump on this has been validated. Can't wait to watch it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jean Simmons

I'm already on record that this is usually enough to push me towards ordering a disc. But I'll take the rest of Robert's positive remarks, too.

It's already safely in my "to watch" pile (along with this week's Seven Brides for Seven Brothers). I hope it's not sitting there too long.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
But Mr. Frezon, who needs to have 7 Brides when all you need in life is just one Jean Simmons?;)

Mark VH

Second Unit
Jean Simmons is probably my all-time classic movie crush (edging out Teresa Wright).

Also, FWIW, Jeff Wells has some interesting inside info from Kino as to exactly what transpired with the remaster. Turns out MGM were the ones who ultimately remastered the title at the request of Kino. Based on previous comments from Kino I was under the impression it was they who incurred the cost and did the grunt work in remastering it. Makes one wonder why MGM didn't recognize the issues with the original disc and remaster/re-issue it (given that many at the time complained about the stretching and flicker issues). Regardless, glad it's all been taken care of now and I'm excited to receive my copy.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2018/06/big-country-bluray-update/#disqus_thread

Doff Hat

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Makes one wonder why MGM didn't recognize the issues with the original disc and remaster/re-issue it (given that many at the time complained about the stretching and flicker issues). Regardless, glad it's all been taken care of now and I'm excited to receive my copy.
Not that I noticed that much at the time, but has it been confirmed the flicker issues are now corrected in this release?

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Great news that they got this one right. I'm annoyed though that almost every online retailer has this title out of stock. Clearly it's selling quicker than Kino anticipated. I'll wait till it comes back in stock. Hopefully it's soon.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I screened part of this last night, and it looks FABULOUS! The title card on my copy, however, read The Big COUNTRY. Must be defective. ;)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Big Country is currently listed with Best Buy as "Sold Out".
I hope that's true, rather than a case of none ever being in stock.
Yes, "Sold Out" would be very encouraging news, indeed.

Last edited:

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Great news that they got this one right. I'm annoyed though that almost every online retailer has this title out of stock. Clearly it's selling quicker than Kino anticipated. I'll wait till it comes back in stock. Hopefully it's soon.

I'm also annoyed. I ordered from Amazon on release-day, 6/5.

On 6/8, I received an automated message that started: We have good news! We now have delivery date(s) for your item(s) listed below.

The quote-unquote good news was for a date-range from 6/20 through 6/27. I contacted Amazon (a random rep) to let them know that a +/- 3 week delay is most assuredly *not* "good news". I never swore, or cursed, but the rep knew I was angry. Just as the rep started to offer compensation, I hung up - because the presumably meager compensation she would have offered was never the point. The point was to get across the notion that a +/- 3 week delay from the biggest store on earth is *not* "good news".

I think at least one rep now understands that point, but as for the rest of the company, meh.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Jean Simmons is probably my all-time classic movie crush (edging out Teresa Wright).

Also, FWIW, Jeff Wells has some interesting inside info from Kino as to exactly what transpired with the remaster. Turns out MGM were the ones who ultimately remastered the title at the request of Kino. Based on previous comments from Kino I was under the impression it was they who incurred the cost and did the grunt work in remastering it. Makes one wonder why MGM didn't recognize the issues with the original disc and remaster/re-issue it (given that many at the time complained about the stretching and flicker issues). Regardless, glad it's all been taken care of now and I'm excited to receive my copy.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2018/06/big-country-bluray-update/#disqus_thread
Please excuse my ignorance up front, but curious what the cost difference is between a remaster, and a restoration (i.e. The Alamo). Again, I'm ignorant on the topic and wondering if the cost difference is that wide a gulf?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks