What's new

Pre-Order The Big Country (1958) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Are they advertising this as a new 4K transfer or something? Because looks to me like it's the exact same thing with the stretching corrected.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Are they advertising this as a new 4K transfer or something? Because looks to me like it's the exact same thing with the stretching corrected.
I was expecting they would have to crop the top and bottom a bit to correct the stretching issue. But this is happily not the case. There is significantly more picture information on the sides. This indicates to me that it is a new image harvest. It's one of the very few cases where I've been compelled to double dip, normally minor improvements don't matter that much to me.

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris

According to Kino, I think that's basically correct plus some additional cleanup/touchup work (DRS). It's not a new scan from what I've heard. I was one that had never really noticed the stretching issue when watching the old one, but seeing those screenshots does def show the prob and the Kino one does seem to fix it. The issue that I DID notice on the old one every time I watched it was the flickering that was quite prominent in certain scenes. The review posted doesn't mention anything about that, but hopefully that got fixed too. In order to make room for the new features Kino's including, they obv had to compress the video further, thus lowering the bitrate, though at almost 24mbps it is still reasonable (barely IMO), but might have introduced some compression-related artifacts that weren't on the old. Still, given the other fixes, it's still pretty clear from those screenshots that the new Kino version is still overall the better choice. Thanks to Kino for putting some effort into this release! :)

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
The Big Country review on dvd beaver. Excellent job Kino !!! Can't wait till Tuesday, for the upgrade. : )

Ahab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Friederichs
Ordered a copy too after seeing the screenshots on DVDBeaver. The stretching bugged the heck out of me. Am very happy to see it corrected.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I too hope they corrected the flickering of the previous blu ray. That was very distracting. I never really noticed the stretching but the fact that they didn't mention the flickering being corrected has me a little concerned.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I too hope they corrected the flickering of the previous blu ray. That was very distracting. I never really noticed the stretching but the fact that they didn't mention the flickering being corrected has me a little concerned.
If the flickering is corrected, I'll double-dip for the new edition. Otherwise no deal. The stretching was a minor issue to me compared to the flicker.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
If the flickering is corrected, I'll double-dip for the new edition. Otherwise no deal. The stretching was a minor issue to me compared to the flicker.
Yeah I will repurchase this only if they corrected the flickering. Otherwise what I have is fine, I would have never noticed the stretching at all if it was pointed out here. Very minor issue to me as well. But the flickering is an eye strain.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Just watched my copy. Didn't notice any flickering (but then I didn't before), but I did notice that they finally have the color right on the opening credits. That coppery leather color is exactly right -- at last!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks