What's new

Pre-Order The Big Country (1958) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I also did read (correct me if I am wrong), that there is some private collector that has a 70mm stereo print. Of course, it is technically possible to create stereo from existing mono.

Well, if you read that malarky here I think we an all pretty much guess who said it. There's always some mysterious collector who has some print no one else has.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I asked Mr. Peck about the film having stereo tracks. He did not recall it as having been stereo, and was one of the producers.

One would have to check the post records, to confirm, but his memory and knowledge seemed superb, as we discussed other subjects.

Not to take anything away from one of my favorite actors ever but do you think that somebody like Gregory Peck would be that much into what to him may have been technical minutia?

I am asking not because I actually believe that there are stereo tracks but simply because I often get the impression that actors, producers and even directors are not really that interested in these things.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well, if you read that malarky here I think we an all pretty much guess who said it. There's always some mysterious collector who has some print no one else has.

Agreed.

The earliest tests of which I'm aware, were VVLA to 70 for The Court Jester. The Big Country is a bit early for the realm of TLA to 70, which begin in early 1959, with Sleeping Beauty.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Not to take anything away from one of my favorite actors ever but do you think that somebody like Gregory Peck would be that much into what to him may have been technical minutia?

I am asking not because I actually believe that there are stereo tracks but simply because I often get the impression that actors, producers and even directors are not really that interested in these things.
All sources who worked on a film; especially those who are intelligent and articulate; are vital to the research.
I would imagine that a co-producer must also consider the costs of Mono vs. Stereo and on that front would also be in the loop.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Once upon a time, I was lucky enough to borrow a 70mm print of "The Big Country".
I'm now starting to wonder if this was loaned to me by the very same guy?
I gave it back the next day, though; mainly because I had noticed a lot of flicker and stretch.:D

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to this Kino Lorber release, to which I have the fullest of confidence;
as they have really been doing their damnedest;
be it with "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", "The Lion in Winter" and, of course, "The Big Country".:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
All sources who worked on a film; especially those who are intelligent and articulate; are vital to the research.
I would imagine that a co-producer must also consider the costs of Mono vs. Stereo and on that front would also be in the loop.

With the number of movies that Mr. Peck has to his credit it would be quite an accomplishment to remember technical parameters like these several decades later. As you say chance has it that there could be good reasons why he can remember it easily like for example there was a discussion about stereo sound and they did not want it because of costs and/or added hassle in recording the audio.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With the number of movies that Mr. Peck has to his credit it would be quite an accomplishment to remember technical parameters like these several decades later. As you say chance has it that there could be good reasons why he can remember it easily like for example there was a discussion about stereo sound and they did not want it because of costs and/or added hassle in recording the audio.

He produced the film. Far more than an acting assignment.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I've soon both stereo prints of Big Country and Auntie Mame - neither are 70mm.
They are both among the first Technirama films.
Both had, to me, the same odditiy. Stereoprints of this era are always mag optical- i.e. mag striped with anoptical track also on it.
these prints were not - they were both three track stereo with no surrounds.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've soon both stereo prints of Big Country and Auntie Mame - neither are 70mm.
They are both among the first Technirama films.
Both had, to me, the same odditiy. Stereoprints of this era are always mag optical- i.e. mag striped with anoptical track also on it.
these prints were not - they were both three track stereo with no surrounds.

Checked the original press book. No mention of stereo.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
No offense, but the only studio that regularly mentioned stereo in their ads, by 1958, is Fox.
Other studios did not.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
No offense, but the only studio that regularly mentioned stereo in their ads, by 1958, is Fox.
Other studios did not.

More important than press books or ads is the print itself. Obviously you know who owns or owned this print. It may be the only one in existence. Would that collector bequeath it to a film foundation for posterity?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
More important than press books or ads is the print itself. Obviously you know who owns or owned this print. It may be the only one in existence. Would that collector bequeath it to a film foundation for posterity?

Wrong place to bequeath. All that’s needed is a loan to AMPAS.

Reactions: PMF

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I will be getting mine Tuesday from amazon. I'm sure it will be better than my old mgm bluray. Great movie, Great cast ! Not like the Garbage they make today. I have not been to a movie theater in 10 years.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
You've missed a LOT of good films.

I've been to the theater twice in the last 22 years. It's all relative. In that span of time I've seen many good/great films from the 1920's through the 1950's that others may have missed. Regardless of what era a person watches, past or present, there are always good/great films they miss. As long as one enjoys what they watch, that's all that should matter.

Last edited:

Mark VH

Second Unit
It’s fine as long as you don’t wear your refusal to go to the theater as some kind of badge of honor, because it’s not. Also not great if you want to see people actually making more films. Lots of great stuff being produced these days and if you enjoy any of it then it’s kind of important to support it with your patronage.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Not like the Garbage they make today. I have not been to a movie theater in 10 years.

They made garbage in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s too! Nostalgists tend to look at the cinematic past through rose colored glasses. I bow to no man in my love of classic cinema (the oldest film in my collection is 1912) and my collection encompasses cinema, both domestic and international, from all decades. If I hadn't gone to a movie theater in the last 10 years I would have missed such superb films as The Artist, Beatriz At Dinner, Big Sick, Blue Is The Warmest Color, Boyhood, Call Me By Your Name, Cloud Atlas, Departures, Ghost Writer, Grand Budapest Hotel, Gravity, The Great Beauty, Hateful Eight, Hurt Locker, I Am Not Your Negro, Into The Woods, Kedi, The Invitation, La La Land, Lady Bird, Les Miserables, Margaret, Milk, Moonlight, Mother!, Nightcrawler, Nocturnal Animals, Phantom Thread, The Reader, Revanche, Steve Jobs, Tree Of Life, The Witch, Youth, Zero Dark Thirty to name a handful and to this film lover, that's unacceptable.

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I will be getting mine Tuesday from amazon. I'm sure it will be better than my old mgm bluray. Great movie, Great cast ! Not like the Garbage they make today. I have not been to a movie theater in 10 years.
I'm with you, I prefer older films in general. 1950s to mid-to-late 60s are my favorites. To each his own and that's fine. We all like what we like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks