1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Big Bang Theory Season 11 and finale

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nelson Au, May 11, 2018.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I did several searches and could not find a thread for the 11th season. I knew the series was loosing interest, but I thought there was a thread. I too haven’t seen every episode that aired this season and planned to catch up on those I missed.

At any rate, I enjoyed the season finale. There were some surprise guests as I hadn’t been keeping up with the entertainment news sites. I have to wonder if Leonard Nimoy was still with us, if they’d have been able to lure him. I guess these days Star Wars has over taken Star Trek. Though I thought Hamil was very good in his role as himself. Poor Wil Weston.

And it was just kind of amazing to see the guest actors come back who were semi regulars in the past who now have other gigs on other shows like Sheldon’s mom and Kripky.

DavidJ likes this.
  2. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    I’v really been enjoying the season, just didn’t feel the need to talk about it.

Some people equate (incorrectly IMO) online chatter with how much a show is liked. My enjoyment hasn’t waned at all.

It was a very entertaining episode.

I had hoped that Wheaton and O’Connell would have had an exchange. Oh well.

The biggest surprise was
    Teller speaking. Has he ever spoken in public? [\spoiler]

DavidJ and Tony Bensley like this.
  3. GlennF

GlennF Second Unit
    Supporter

Glenn Frost
    Last night's episode was sweet and well done, but overall the season has been very lackluster. There are many weeks I feel close to giving up on the show. I guess it is a hope of a return to past glories.

4. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    There was a little nugget of information dropped in Young Sheldon via a voiceover from adult Sheldon (Jim Parsons). It gives a little hint into the future of Sheldon and Amy.

At the very end of the Young Sheldon episode, the voice over by adult Sheldon (Jim Parsons) was talking about how he started using contracts in all aspects of his life. He said he used them with his friends, his family and (after a pause) even his own children.

I take it this means Sheldon does eventually become a father. Presumably with Amy.

I would like to see Sheldon have to deal with his own kids. I wonder if he would end up acting towards his kids the same way Leonard's mother treated Leonard? Like a scientist studying an experiment and with no warmth or love.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  5. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I haven't watched it at all this season (and barely last season) but I checked out the finale. It seemed pretty flat to me, the show seems to have lost a lot of energy. Hamill was good. And I did like Stuart correcting him on all of the Star Wars questions (and his date getting turned on by it). And Kathy Bates and Teller were great as Amy's parents.

Kripke singing was just painful though.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Mark Hamil was excellent, and the needling between him and Wheaton was great. Kripke singing at the end was the icing on the cake. An excellent season finale.

Sheldon's sister had made an appearance on the show back in 2008 and for the season finale, they used the same actress. Used IMDB to verify. Amy's mom had appeared on the show previously via a phone call. Kathy Bates wasn't the actor back then, so they did some recasting.

DavidJ, B-ROLL and Tony Bensley like this.
  7. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    I still watch the show regularly and enjoy it. Sure, there are ups and downs through a season and maybe it’s not quite as good this season as some of the past ones, but it’s still the show and characters I enjoy spending time with. That said, I thought this was a great episode and one of the best wedding episodes I’ve seen.

8. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

The one sour note (pun intended) in a very good episode.

9. Message #9 of 45 May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
  10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Upcoming Season 12 to be the final season. Reportedly Jim Parsons is ready to move on and they don't seem to think they have a show without Sheldon, which they probably don't unless they create a separate spinoff of some kind (aside from Young Sheldon, which will continue).

Tony Bensley likes this.
  11. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I read about that, Parsons was saying he felt the character has done about all he can. I wonder what Parsons is interested in doing. Films or the stage.

I caught a few episodes in syndication from the second season and the cast looked younger. But not massively so.

From watching Young Sheldon, the character as a child certainly is a lot nicer and that’s due to his innocence.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  12. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    I am not sure I think they "don't have a show without Sheldon". It is most likely that because the main cast all get about a million dollars per episode, CBS is probably feeling good they get out of the contract. LOL

For the record I never liked Sheldon. He always came across as just mean instead of clueless. Like he was just using his quirkiness as a weapon to get what he wanted. I was, However, looking foreword to seeing Sheldon have a kid and have to change a diaper.

I would love if the show changed to a new show about the couples having/raising kids and transitioning to adulthood. Like dealing with all of that stuff while trying to find time doing the nerdy stuff like go to comic-con.

Then again, this will now be one less show on my record list. :) Been trying to stop adding new shows while allowing all my older shows to slowly go away on their own. Guess this helps that.

13. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    I thought the earlier seasons were much better than what the show has become and I completely lost interest last year. The character quirkiness and genius writing has finally given way to a dull everyday sitcom.

14. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    To add to my above post, I thought the show was hilarious when it was three horny nerds and an androgynous friend trying to score with the hot girl across the hall (or any girl for that matter). As the show developed and Howard and Bernadette became a thing, they became less interesting. Leonard and Penny did the same. Now Sheldon and Amy. Raj was funny when he couldn’t talk around women. Now that gag is gone. I understand that people wanted to see the characters develop and grow but that made the show lose what made it special in the first place, IMO.

15. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Yes the characters had to grow and develop, it's what people do. I have thought the show-runners have done a marvelous job in finding the right actors for the newer part. At first Amy seemed bland to me, but I caught on. Liked Bernadette right away. The character who kept dumping Raj because of anxiety I did not like and I'm glad they discontinued that character.

I've enjoyed watching the kids grow.

DavidJ likes this.
  16. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I don't think CBS is glad to lose the #1 hit comedy on TV. The reports said they were trying to get them to sign up for two more years when Parsons declined. So it seems like CBS was willing to keep paying to continue the show.

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I agree with you to a degree. There were times when he was insufferable. I remember when Leonard was dating Prya, and because she was a lawyer, she picked Sheldon’s roommate agreement apart. He responded by threatening to inform Prya’s parents of the relationship, if they did not agree to his new relationship agreement. If a roommate had done that to me, we would have been finished as roommates on that day.

Still, he’s so damn funny that the show wouldn’t be the same without him.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm
  19. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I enjoyed the run for the most part but it is time for this to end as it is now a standard sitcom. The characters were fun to watch develop, with the exception of Bernadette, who they turned into a bitch from her sweet girl debut.

20. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    To me, the earlier Bernadette and Amy were much better than the later Bernadette and Amy.