1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The better my system gets...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_D, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

...the more I dislike most sound engineers.
    It seems as my system gets more and more revealing--- I've recently upgraded to Paradigm Studios, separate amps, and power conditioning---I dislike more and more recordings and movies.
    Some questions:
    Does distortion in the recording effect your equipment in the same way distortion from an overdriven amp does?
    If so, what about effects pedals on electric guitars? One of which is aptly named the distortion pedal!
    I'm listening to the remastered Zeppelin box sets and some of the songs are just terrible recordings. For example, The Ocean, the guitar solo about 1:45 in, I thought my amp was blowing up on me!
    My best recorded CD seems to be the Chesky sampler CD I got with my BMW! It is amazing.
    Oh help me, am I doomed to only liking Audiophile label recordings?
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

2. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Sound engineers. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. :>)
    Just because a particular album is "bad" sounding, don't tar & feather the whole SE profession (of which, for the record, I am NOT a member). Remember that those "audiophile label" recordings that we like so much also had sound engineers on the job. :>)
    While, of course, we prefer to hear a "good" recording, sometimes we endure a "bad" one just to be able to enjoy a particular piece of music and just kind of turn off our part of our critical faculties to listen past the sonic problems and appreciate the music.
    I think, for example, of priceless performances by Toscanini and Furtwangler (two classical music conductors who recorded in pre-stereo days) which have a lot of noise in them that would be unacceptable by today's standards, but we have to put up with it to hear their interpretations. Nothing the sound engineers could have done about it -- they were limited by the technology of the time... and filtering it all out now would also filter out a lot of the musical nuances as well.
    Burke
    PS -- I don't think properly reproduced "distortion" will harm your speakers. It really isn't the same as clipping at all. I've played some techno rock via my Magnepans and they still sound fine on Telarc classical and jazz. :>)

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

May be time to add a turntable, my friend [​IMG]
    SACD should get us closer to the big, warm, analog sound. Have you tried a turntable since your amp/speaker upgrades?
    The L.P. hasn't been digitally re-mastered like the C.D. This may be where a bad recording will be highlighted to sound even worse, IMO.
    Jeremy

4. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Thanks all for the encouragement. I wrote the post half-kidding (but only half). I guess I wonder...if my low hi fi/hi mid fi stuff has this "issue"...what about the truly high end equipment. Maybe that's why some audiophiles go crazy, like that Washington Post article guy.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

5. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I know exactly what you mean. I have a friend with an extremely hi/fi system (at least I think so)... Levinson amps, SF (Amati?) spks, Levinson transport, etc., and it's hard not to notice the poor quality of most CD recordings. [​IMG]
    I guess that's why I've never taken the plunge into Hifi, my modest little setup sounds pretty good to me. So, I guess until media truly catches up with hardware I'm sticking with what I've got. And yes, I know SACD and DVD-A are out there... but the title choices are so limited I'm not willing to outlay the cash to make any radical changes yet.
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

6. Ryan-X

Ryan-X Auditioning

Ever since I went to Tannoy speakers bad recordings sound REALLY bad but great recordings sound really great.
    I used to be a producer/engineer at a local studio and we had to master the music to sound good, on the worst possible playback device. Unfortunately that has a lot to do with the way music is produced.

7. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

HEHE...
    I thought this was gonna be a
    "The better my system gets ..... the more borke I get!!"
    Greg

8. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

The problem, Steve, is that you bought Studio 40s. [​IMG]
    I've repeatedly had the same experience since upgrading to 40s a few months ago. I've found that the same 10 or 15 CDs are spending a LOT of time in my player, while others, many of them old favorites, just don't satisfy me like they used to.
    By the way, where did you get the single 40 for your center? Got an extra to sell?

9. Joe_Jensen

Joe_Jensen Auditioning

Pop recordings are the worst. They have the bass so over-boosted that they are un-listenable on a good system. They seem to be eq'd to sound ok on a boom box. Sounds like they use +35db bass boost. Many also have the vocals recorded to low relative to the music that you can't hear them. I tend to listen to pop music in the car, and well recorded stuff at home.....joe