What's new

The best widescreen TV shows? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just rented the Coupling Season 1 DVD and overall, it's really funny stuff. My favorite episode had to be "The Woman with Two Breasts".

Paul W

Second Unit
Babylon 5??????

Are you guys kidding? I love the series as much as the next guy, but the DVD presentation is severly limited by the quality of the CGI work done and several shots throughout the series are severely cropped.

:confused:

I would definitely say Band of Brothers is definitely the best.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
but the DVD presentation is severly limited by the quality of the CGI work done and several shots throughout the series are severely cropped.
Personally, the CGI stretching is barely noticeable - each season the CGI gets better, and the shimmering effect is less noticeable. Maybe you have a bigger TV than my 27". And there were some problems with squeezing footage in Season 1, but that passed after S1. If I recall, I don't think S3 had any sigificant problems

Well, this is a bit more obscure, but the Scottish series "Monarch of the Glen" has just been released by BBC Video in the States, and it's not only anamorphic widescreen, but includes one of the cleanest transfers that I've seen on a TV on DVD disc. PAL-to-NTSC is nearly flawless, and the shots are meticulously lit with plenty of lingering shots of the beautiful Scottish country side.

Also, it's a funny, touching and overall entertaining show that it's everything that Ed should strive for.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with C.S.I..

This is the only television show that I make a point of watching every week....in High Definition no less!

:)

Paul W

Second Unit
David,

On a 56" set, it can be painful to watch. Especially in the scenes where the action is in the middle of a CGI "matte shot" (say, the park bench area). This goes for all three seasons.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The only series I've gotten on DVD thus far in widescreen format has been Smallville: The Complete First Season. Though the cover says that it's a matted widescreen format, it looks closer to the high-definition widescreen format that has appeared in some of the episodes the last couple of years.

The only other show I regularly watch in widescreen is Enterprise, now known as Star Trek: Enterprise. The widescreen looks good with that series. It was cool to watch one of the Deep Space Nine season sets and see that some of the shots in that series were originally filmed in anamorphic widescreen, particularly FX shots (ex. the two Dax's in "If Wishes Were Horses", along with some shots from TNG's "Best of Both Worlds" and "Journey's End", among others). Imagine how cool it would have looked if the entire series had been shown in HD widescreen or full anamorphic widescreen format!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks