What's new

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the kind words, Mike!

An update: since my flat white speaker wire won't arrive until tomorrow (hence I can't mount my front heights just yet) I kept the Elacs in their testing place, sitting atop my Energy Connoisseur C6 floorstanding speakers (with a matching Energy AC300 center channel) and my RSLs are still my surrounds. I re-enabled my 5.1 system (including the PSA 15S sub) and watched Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

The Elacs performed admirably as HT L/R mains. They tonally matched the AC300 (in that it still sounded like a seamless front-stage versus three speakers, two of which were manufactured 20 years after the other and by a different company).

I will say that I am not surprised by this. I find music reproduction to be a great test of speakers, and if something performs well on music, I can't recall a speaker that then ended up sounding poorly while on movie duty.

I would not hesitate to recommend the B6.2 in a 5.1 setup as well. Ideally if I were starting from scratch and going for biggest bang for least buck, I'd buy 5 B6.2s but I think they're only sold in pairs. I have not heard Elac's center channel C6.2, but given how great the B6.2s sound I would be surprised if they didn't prove to be a very capable performer. Right now you can get 2 pairs of B6.2 for $300 total, and a C6.2 also on sale for $139 (I just checked Amazon).

For $450 you would be hard-pressed to find a better 5.0 setup capable of filling up a medium-sized room (mine is 15' x 14' x 8') with high quality sound at reference levels without breaking a sweat.

Add an SVS SB1000 or PB1000 and you're still under $1000. Or if you can up your budget by $300, to a total of $1300, you can upgrade to a HSU Research VTF3-MK5 HP ($799 direct) and have a 15" dual port sub that can almost peel paint from the walls. I'm a big fan of HSU subs (and PSA) owning one of each.

Full disclosure: if you do go this route it won't just be $1000 or $1300. These are bookshelf speakers, so if you don't already have them, you'll have to buy stands to make sure they're at an appropriate listening level height.

Oh, and for $135 each, I can wholeheartedly recommend RSL CG3 for height speakers if you can't go in-ceiling (i.e. if you're like me and live in an apartment).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The single most impressive aspect of the Debut B6.2 is their imaging. I realize imaging isn’t something a lot of people even listen for, but its probably my #1 priority. Their imaging is astounding for a speaker in the price range, but you have to set them up to take maximum advantage of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks